Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ill-Advised Modifications - Less Extreme  (Read 3961 times)

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
Ill-Advised Modifications - Less Extreme
« on: February 11, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »

I think that Ill-advised modifications is bad enough that any ship with it is entirely useless. I haven't seen a single ship with this that was a threat.
Irregardless, I think it needs some changes to make it actually usable, instead of just, The ship shuts down as soon as the battle starts.

give it these effects

Between 80% and 100% shorter Peak Performance Time
+100-200% CR degredation.
Always Degrades in combat.
+300% (or so) CR Recovery rate. (no increase in supply cost)

Or any combination thereof (and with any actual values)

The effect would be, This ship works great, for a very short time. Like 30 seconds at best. A typical CR timer of 3 minutes would drop to 36 seconds. After it starts degrading, it degrades fast. As such, once it hits the Degredation stage, it rapidly falls into the Low CR.

This would give a short window where such a ship functions, after which it goes into the Low-No CR state, at which point it behaves quite a bit like it does currently.

In addition, it is fast to restore to combat condition afterwards.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Sooner535

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ill-Advised Modifications - Less Extreme
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:11:19 PM »

I like it personally, kinda like the pirates idk want to kill people quickly and then run away with all the loot lol

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 05:45:04 PM »

to be honest, i think the danger that Luddic Path raiders pose to many early-game fleets clearly disproves the claim that "any ship with it is entirely useless". same goes, to a lesser degree, for the Luddic Path IBB fleet in the Ship/Weapon Pack mod. and there really aren't many not-Pather ships that have IAM.

sure, it is a heavy penalty. but it's meant to be one, and offset by other advantages of the ships you'll find it on.

for ships you want to use yourself, you can remove it by restoring them, since IAM counts as a d-mod. that's expensive, but it gets you ships that are potentially more dangerous than unmodified ships of their size would be.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 07:06:58 PM »

Hmm, Really? I haven't really observed that, but Since I stopped even trying them after initial massive failures (not even getting a shot off with half of the guns before they break perminently) It might not be as bad as I recall.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 08:02:34 PM »

Between 80% and 100% shorter Peak Performance Time
+100-200% CR degredation.

Most ships with IAM also have SO. Combined with already heavy CR penalty from SO, these changes will drop CR to 0 near instantly.

On another note, while I agree that IAM are crippling while they are in, fixing LP ships to remove it is quite cheap (~15k for a Lasher). And fixed LP Lasher is strictly better than vanilla one (15 free OP points in form of built-in SO is a huge bonus, and no other Lasher variant comes close to SO in terms of power anyway).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 06:25:02 AM »

to be honest, i think the danger that Luddic Path raiders pose to many early-game fleets clearly disproves the claim that "any ship with it is entirely useless". same goes, to a lesser degree, for the Luddic Path IBB fleet in the Ship/Weapon Pack mod. and there really aren't many not-Pather ships that have IAM.

sure, it is a heavy penalty. but it's meant to be one, and offset by other advantages of the ships you'll find it on.

for ships you want to use yourself, you can remove it by restoring them, since IAM counts as a d-mod. that's expensive, but it gets you ships that are potentially more dangerous than unmodified ships of their size would be.
They are useless for the player, at least until restored (which was not an option before 0.8 ).  I tried Lasher (LP) before 0.8 and restoration was available.  Weapons went offline permanently before it scored its first kill.  I was better off with normal Lasher.  The only time Ill-Advised Modifications is tolerable is on Mudskipper 2 because it cannot permanently disable the last weapon.

NPCs controlled by the game (master), on the other hand, do not care because they are unlimited and do not care about resource management.  They can afford to throw unlimited fodder against the player as a semi-effective strategy.

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »

wait, I thought there was a mod for this, but didn't know it was in vanilla, how do you remove D-mods?

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 10:08:02 AM »

Dock to any port. Go into ship fitting screen then hit Restore.

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »

Dock to any port. Go into ship fitting screen then hit Restore.

Oh god thank you! I've been flying all over looking for wolfs and other specific ships when I've been smashing all these derelicts up for scrap because I didn't want to have junk ships in my fleet!  Game changer

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 05:49:15 AM »

Just dropping the "destroys weapon" attribute would make it not completely awful.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 07:53:46 AM »

Just dropping the "destroys weapon" attribute would make it not completely awful.

True enough. That is the main problem admittedly.

Still, Even if the modifications are ill-advised, "standard testing" should include powering up all weapons and firing them at least once. Given that that is enough to short out half of your weapons and cause a flameout, I think it should be, "Non-functional modifications" or something.
Its not that they are ill-advised, its that they literally don't function at all.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 08:51:18 AM »

Ill-Advised Modifications causing critical malfunctions is "completely awful" for player use.  Lasher with it cannot kill its first ship without a critical malfunction.  That is how bad it is.  Normal malfunctions should make the hullmod more tolerable.

That said, as with Makeshift Shield Generator, the critical failures may benefit the player more often than not because of who will likely use such hulls - the enemy AI.