Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: More useful Survey Data  (Read 2516 times)

TrialBySnu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
More useful Survey Data
« on: February 07, 2018, 08:12:57 PM »

So as it's been said before, they don't want this to become a 4k game where AI rush to colonize sectors.  I believe the survey data could though be used in an RPG element way to allow AI factions to colonize.

If you sell/turn-in survey data of a candidate planet worth colonizing. the faction will try and protect that info while they try to colonize, with perhaps a RNG chance of it leaking out and factions compete for it.  If you sell it on the black market, the mercenaries will sell it to the highest bidder (which happens every faction pays for a copy) and they war to colonize it.

If habitable worth while planets are rare enough this, i believe would be an interesting RPG element without having the game spiral into a 4k game.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: More useful Survey Data
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:09:11 PM »

First of all, welcome to the forum!
Second: Alex has mentioned that the survey data stuff is a placeholder for outposts and industry. He created the Survey Data so that you would get SOMETHING from surveying planets since right now we can't set up our own outposts yet
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Sooner535

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 11:33:13 PM »

Makes me wonder if AI will get the chance to set up outposts

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 01:53:51 AM »

I was really confused until I remembered what forum I was on, and that you meant 4X :)

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:53:30 AM »

I'm really excited for this feature of the game, I can't wait for the new launch. 
as far as the "Alex said he doesn't want this to spiral into a 4x game..." comment, the ai will still settle and found their own outposts and factions right? 

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 03:43:43 PM »

No.

TrialBySnu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »

Yeah I meant 4x  :D while the player being able to settle is great there is a lot of open space to conquer by yourself and being the only one to do it seems kind of over powered. Perhaps the AI could be allowed to do it but, every dozen or so ingame years, one system at a time? Add a lengthy process to make that system stable and economic decision factors like; factions must have high level of stability on a majority of planets, or two allied factions have enough stability before they consider colonizing a system with pooled resources?   

I love this game, and adding the ability to colonize on your own seems to introduce so many more elements which would have to be addressed. I can't wait either way to see what comes out.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 05:58:08 PM »

I'm sure it'll be easy to mod in.

As for the vanilla game, it's kinda supposed to be a power fantasy. A build up to total domination.

Hell I get most of my in game money from randomly killing people and looting their bodies... but that might be a different topic!  ;D
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 11:24:10 AM »

Yeah I meant 4x  :D while the player being able to settle is great there is a lot of open space to conquer by yourself and being the only one to do it seems kind of over powered. Perhaps the AI could be allowed to do it but, every dozen or so ingame years, one system at a time? Add a lengthy process to make that system stable and economic decision factors like; factions must have high level of stability on a majority of planets, or two allied factions have enough stability before they consider colonizing a system with pooled resources?   

I love this game, and adding the ability to colonize on your own seems to introduce so many more elements which would have to be addressed. I can't wait either way to see what comes out.

at least let the ai, attack and conquer other systems,  having the universe be so static makes it well... stale

At least we will always have mods though,  I hope nexcellerin does some good stuff with the new mechanics