Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transverse Jump ended up in wrong position  (Read 2308 times)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
Transverse Jump ended up in wrong position
« on: February 05, 2018, 01:16:52 AM »

I was directly over Tibicena, Magec, and I jumped to hyperspace via Transverse Jump. This is where I ended up:

Tried to do it again, but that just placed me in the normal position.

Steps to reproduce: Attempt to reproduce failed.
May be relevant: I activated Transverse Jump, cancelled it by clicking Tibicena to bring up a dialogue and closing it, and tried Jump again when it happened.
Active mods:

Specification:
Windows 7 x64
Intel i5 3570 @3.40GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 660Ti

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: Transverse Jump ended up in wrong position
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 04:04:59 AM »

Thing to check: Was location of jump end relative to hyperspace center the same as location of jump start relative to system primary?

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 04:53:13 AM »

Yes, I saw it too. I used this in system Corvus, and it has appeared near system Askonia.

The list of mods other:
Code
DynaSector (1.4.2)
GraphicsLib
LazyLib
Ship and Weapon Pack
Underworld
Interstellar Imperium
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 04:55:37 AM by DrakonST »
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:27:47 AM »

Well, that's really weird! Looking at the code, I'm pretty confident it's not Transverse Jump itself - the location-picking looks correct and is capped to something like a light-year in distance from the current star system.

It's possible that something set the fleet's location right after the jump - this could happen, for example, if the fleet was orbiting something, and the orbit didn't get reset when it went through hyperspace. But since a fleet moves a bit as part of the normal jump transition, that cancels any orbit it might be holding in terrain. Still, let me add a fail-safe here and fleet.setOrbit(null) on jump transition - that seems like the right thing to do in any case. Like TJJ is saying, maybe there's a frame-perfect set of conditions here that could make this happen. Doesn't seem like there *should* be, based on how the components are supposed to work, but things don't always work like they should.

I'll keep an eye out, as well. For now, I guess we can chalk it up to a hyperspace anomaly :) (And now, I kind of want to put in a chance for transverse jump to legitimately do that...)

RandomKnight

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:52:36 PM »

Well not sure how this happened but this occurred to me as well. I was jumping out of the Nikolaev system and ended up 11 light years from it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Cubane

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 02:20:29 PM »

This just happened happened to me too. Can't seem to print screen SS though, keeps capturing what's behind it... so you'll have to imagine.  :-\

Jumped from Sphinx (Samarra) to 2LY west of Zagan.

Mods:
LazyLib
Simulator Overhaul

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »

Thanks for the reports! Hopefully the "reset orbit on jump" fix will address this. If someone can figure out how to reproduce this, then I'd love to be able to double-check - I haven't been able to get it to happen in my attempts so far.