Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 47

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hazard Mining Incorporated (Thumper Ed., 0.3.7b)  (Read 632357 times)

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Hazard Mining Incorporated (Gen Waffle Ed., 0.2.1g) Ed., 0.2.1f)
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2019, 09:10:37 AM »

But... the hmi are a pirate based mining faction....

and the chances they get a capital is slim and even then would probably be a massive drone carrier of sorts. The planetcracker would likely be an industry the hmi can produce and not a ship.
I applaud your commitment while engaging in a jest of mine ... those up above were all dead space references. Dead space is a game series, there are 2 not so bad book adaptations like Dead Space martyr out there, there is even a badly narrated audiobook version of that one on youtube.

And a Planetcracker ain't a Capital ship https://deadspace.fandom.com/wiki/USG_Ishimura its a Mining Vessel and i think it would really fit well into HMI ... lel

I like those 2 new Planet styles, the resources and trade goods that HMI adds, haven't come around to make those resources appear in nex random sectors yet, imagine its a hassle to bind them to those planets. The Faction is cool first one i dled actually cause it reminded me of dead space, event horizon, ship of fools ...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:28:02 AM by Blyat to the future »
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

Gen Waffle

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2019, 09:05:14 PM »

Ah I see.

Honestly I'm really happy with what Alfonso did with the mod so far. I agree that it doesn't make sense that the hmi have a true capital ship as they're just a mining company.

He's also been really good with the feedback regarding the ships he has. I actually can't wait to see what new things he's gonna add. (I'm pretty burnt out testing the scav hulls).

I'd personally love to see some new special industries that the hmi might provide if your commissioned by them and talk to their admins in the bar of by comms.

Improved mining facility? A redesign of the patrol hub to provide autonomous mining/support drones? A planet cracker faciity on par with a heavy industry?

If they're centered around mining it makes sense they'd have some neat tools to the trade (and ways to defend them).
The Rogue Scavenger

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 01, 2019, 01:42:44 AM »

Well, pirates have their own capital ship, and they're bunch of idiots basically.

I think a capital being a hollowed big metal asteroid is ideal for HMI.

Gen Waffle

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2019, 01:44:14 AM »

Why not ships that are part asteroid?
The Rogue Scavenger

Gen Waffle

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »

Hmm I’m thinking of a new missile system to complement the armored shepherd.

That said I’ve been mostly getting away bu using Neutrino Corp’s missile systems and other mods.

Also came up with some new Nexerellin starts:

Upstart Scavenger Group:
- 1 Rampart
- 1 Zebu
- 1 Salvage Rig

Frontier Exploration
- 2 Dromedary
- 1 Berserker

Border Patrol
- 1 king roach
- 1 Cockroach
- 1 Berserker

Reformed Pirates (petition to replace or make this the main noobiest start against single frigate start)
- 1 Cerberus (miner)
- 1 Light Shepherd
- 1 Zebu

Strike Group
- 1 Greasy or Lumen X
- 2 Glimmer

Junker Vengeance
- 1 Greasy
- 1 Shotglass
- 1 Cockroach

Super ship
- Scarecrow or Brilliant
Note: not really super ships but give them good starting load outs.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 04:34:13 PM by Gen Waffle »
The Rogue Scavenger

CrixM

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2019, 11:01:57 PM »

I really enjoy your mod, especially some of the flavorful weapons and junker ships. However, I think the weapons can use a little pass on balance, I think a bunch of them can use an OP reduction, specifically the Clyde Rapidfire Cannon. It already has less range and dps than the heavy autocannon, and ridiculous flux inefficiency. Heck, the heavy machinegun would be better in every way if not for the lower range. I think you could afford to knock it down to 9, or even 8 ordinance points, where it could directly compete with the arbalest as a discounted kinetic option. And the small mining collector.... I think it definitely needs to have an OP cost of 1, or at least have less flux cost.

Gen Waffle

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2019, 04:08:52 AM »

I really enjoy your mod, especially some of the flavorful weapons and junker ships. However, I think the weapons can use a little pass on balance, I think a bunch of them can use an OP reduction, specifically the Clyde Rapidfire Cannon. It already has less range and dps than the heavy autocannon, and ridiculous flux inefficiency. Heck, the heavy machinegun would be better in every way if not for the lower range. I think you could afford to knock it down to 9, or even 8 ordinance points, where it could directly compete with the arbalest as a discounted kinetic option. And the small mining collector.... I think it definitely needs to have an OP cost of 1, or at least have less flux cost.

Hey Cris.

I know we want to make weapons amazing and all but ahve you tried using the new weapons for their intended purpose: that is Mining? Spamming the small mining gen is pretty good for a mining build.

It's pretty crap as a PD though which really wants me to ask Alfonzo to create a hull mod or something that creates a scavenger/mining group because atm a dedicated mining group is really really boring and isn't as profitable as it ought to be. Don't get me wrong mining is a safe slow way to make dough but we're supposed to make a profit either way not a deficit :(

Possibly a new ship type/group that has an integrated hull mod that expands on the combat power of 'mining' type equipment. Doesn't seem too difficult to add in.

Also a distinct positive of nearly all ming weapons is that they're usually very very low on flux consumption and have high flux:damage efficiency. Just look at the large Xiu Liu Mining Gen for example.

Just like how the junker ships need a lot of time to experiment to make good, you need to dictate a ship to the weapons you equipped it.

Don't expect mining tools to stand toe to toe to actual combat weapons. Use your other strengths: did you realize the Brilliant and Scarecrow come in 25 and 28 DP only. They both bring good mount options as well as fighter bay. The scarecrow ever since the balance update is an amazing long range artillery. The Brilliant is just an overall beast of a ship (need to find the blueprint though, which I've gotten quite often at this point).

-------------------------EVERYTHING PAST THIS POINT IS UNRELATED TO THE QUOTE------------------

I've really gotten a good look at this mod after all these hours in campaign and simulator testing.

King Roach not able to do enough? Try smack an aggressive officer onto it and strap Systems Override to it. Now you can make 3 chainguns and three machine guns meleeing capital ships to death. Hell the AI is smart enough to even use Fast Repair when needed. You can do the same with the cockroach as well. The more they die the more OP you get which allows you to fit integrated PD and EVEN MOAR mg/vulcans/your choice of pd support.

Your junker ships aren't going to live for long. But they can achieve some pretty amazing feats if equipped well. Make full use of their tankiness and turret placements. Fast Repair used to be crap on the scarecrow as it's way too slow too make full use of it, maneuvering thrusts is so much better and firmly tells the player that this can be a monster of a a long range support ship: smack some gravitons and Large Mining Gens/ Heavy Maulers and hardened shields. You literally just make the tankiest nearly full cover shielded cruiser in the sector.

Brilliant is a lot different to the other ships in the hmi arsenal because it's just flat out really good for what it provides on the battlefield.

Have you realized that the carrier options are all pretty fragile or have some massive drawbacks.

The Berserker is literally a piece of tissue paper that will explode in a moment's notice. BUT it has not one, not two but THREE fighter bays. All for 12 DP. That in itself is stupidly powerful. What better way to cover your SO cockroaches and King roaches than literally zerging the air. The Rampart is a bit more jack of all trades but you should build it similarly or make full use of that large missile slot.

The HMI fleet has some crazy good synergies is what I'm saying.

EDIT: also yes I'm still testing the Bastillon and other scav hulls.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:00:23 AM by Gen Waffle »
The Rogue Scavenger

CrixM

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2019, 05:47:35 AM »

You quoted my post and didn't address anything about it. I understand why retrofitting mining weapons are bad, they're for mining and often energy weapons retrofitted for a ballistic slot.  The main thing I brought up was the machinegun.

Gen Waffle

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2019, 04:42:55 PM »

Yeah I've added a line to split my rambling and my actual response. I've been noticing that the clyde was pretty weak too. However have you tried putting expanded magazines on your ship, if I remember correctly it decreases the weapon cooldown slightly. That might help. It's obv more visible on the mark IV but you can still try.
The Rogue Scavenger

CrixM

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2019, 11:33:01 PM »

Why would expanded magazines do anything? The weapon doesnt work off a charge/reload system.

Gen Waffle

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2019, 11:54:38 PM »

I had that impression due to the weapons description. Just like how the MARK IV referenced it. It was just a guess since I've seen other mods add minor improvements with certain hmods.

Really I'm just experimenting since a bunch of stuff isn't really noted down for the weapons in this mod.
The Rogue Scavenger

123nick

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2019, 02:07:47 PM »

do the draco or fang groups have any stations? when i interacted with the planet that supposedly had em, i could just colonize it normally, which seems a bit weird. is it possible too get their blueprints too?

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2019, 07:49:14 AM »

I dont think they have blueprints, but their station are destroyable and lootable. Although i find their ship... strange.

Gen Waffle

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 06, 2019, 02:18:49 AM »

Hey alfonz, I did some more testing with the clyde rapidfire mg and I think that flux per second could be lowered by a 100 or so, considering that it’s quite weak atm. Perhaps you could add a modifier that increases the shield damage if within a certain range as well.
The Rogue Scavenger

Orcling

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2019, 05:05:55 AM »

Hey alfonz, I did some more testing with the clyde rapidfire mg and I think that flux per second could be lowered by a 100 or so, considering that it’s quite weak atm. Perhaps you could add a modifier that increases the shield damage if within a certain range as well.
Not every weapon has to be "balanced". Even Vanilla has some guns that are hot garbage, I think it's fine if some weapons suck, it adds flavour to the game.
Also they have very low OP cost.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 47