Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.51a (Released) - Live Patch Notes  (Read 236222 times)

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.51a (Released) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2012, 03:39:25 AM »

Let's take all of these discussions into the Suggestions board, people. It's not like (most of) the things being discussed right now were newly added in 0.51a or anything. ;)

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 08, 2012, 07:09:34 AM »

Swarmers are actually my missiles of choice for frigate class ships-- I tried them out recently and they actually pack quite a punch against other frigates. Makes my Tempest a very good hunter-killer. Plus, you get thirty of 'em.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 08, 2012, 08:53:38 AM »

Annihilators work fine if you know what you're using them for. They aren't there for damage, they are there for area denial and freaking out the enemy. They are also for point blank non-shield armor wrecking.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 08, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »

My problem with Annihilators is that the act of USING them requires enough concentration that it often locks your OWN vector down enough that it imposes a similar movement denial on you that it imposes on its target. That sounds confusing, but hopefully someone understand what I mean.

The biggest problem is its time-on-target. The relative velocity is just too slow.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 08, 2012, 09:14:48 AM »

My problem with Annihilators is that the act of USING them requires enough concentration that it often locks your OWN vector down enough that it imposes a similar movement denial on you that it imposes on its target. That sounds confusing, but hopefully someone understand what I mean.

The biggest problem is its time-on-target. The relative velocity is just too slow.

If I understand you, you mean that you concentrate so much on timing the launch right that you stop thinking about what the enemy is lining up on your ass.. meaning while you could get the perfect volley of annihilators off.. your likely to get 5 Harpoons up your tailpipe while doing it..
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 08, 2012, 09:19:04 AM »

Given that my favorite loadout on my vigilance used a rocket pod & a phase beam, I'm inclined to say the rockets are fine.  Sure, they're a bit tricky to use well, but even used poorly they're quite effective at forcing the AI to back off a bit.

Also, to people saying energy weapons are better: they're awesome for ripping apart low tech ships (i.e. pirates) - but they're actually sub-par against Tri-Tachyon ships.  Since damage from beams can get vented while shields are still up, and all the energy projectile weapons have *really* high flux generation...
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:26 AM »

If I understand you, you mean that you concentrate so much on timing the launch right that you stop thinking about what the enemy is lining up on your ass.. meaning while you could get the perfect volley of annihilators off.. your likely to get 5 Harpoons up your tailpipe while doing it..

thats why you need maverick and Goose to watch your six for you insert highway to the danger zone here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rZWw9HE7o
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 08, 2012, 10:53:47 AM »

Yeah, basically. I'm more of a missiles and gun guy.

jacobgr43

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 08, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »

Anyone else finding the new mechanic where you slow down after winning a battle really annoying? i keep getting wiped by pirate armada's because i cant get away after picking off the small pirate fleets around their station.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2012, 11:49:19 AM »

Pro tip: Don't camp their station in the early start :D

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 08, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »

Not annoying to me. It is mega harsh, but you also chose to take on a force right next to a bunch of fleets you couldn't beat. (shrug)

Just something to be careful of. (I learned my lesson the hard way like 10 times before I decided to pick a better spot to camp, haha)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 08, 2012, 11:53:02 AM »

Yeah, basically. I'm more of a missiles and gun guy.

I'd love to have a big fat ship with a ton of missiles (missile boat) and some PD for defense, but missiles don't have enough ammo to make that viable.. and modding it in would mean the lashers and such become a royal pain in the behind.. endless volleys of harpoons, Salamanders and Sabots..

It would be nice if bigger ships got bigger magazines for weapons.. and/or larger bonus from expanded magazines/missileracks..

Hmm, this should be in suggestions.. I think I'll go post it there..
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 08, 2012, 11:55:03 AM »

Buffalos are pretty good missile boats. I've used them all the way up to the mid game. Slap some heavy armor on that ***.

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 08, 2012, 01:37:13 PM »

Also, to people saying energy weapons are better: they're awesome for ripping apart low tech ships (i.e. pirates) - but they're actually sub-par against Tri-Tachyon ships.  Since damage from beams can get vented while shields are still up, and all the energy projectile weapons have *really* high flux generation...

I haven't read what you were responding to, but I just had to mention...

I find that energy weapons are even more terrible vs low tech ships in general, actually. Low tech ships tend to have ballistic weapons, which very often means at least a mix of kinetic damage. You are guaranteed to lose, all other things being equal, when you pit ships that rely on shields and energy weapons against ships with high armor and plenty of kinetic/explosive ballistics.

All they have to do is machinegun your shields down and then casually tear apart your inferior armor/hull. Meanwhile, your only options in response are gravitons, which are so piddly that most ships ignore them just with their regular flux dissipation, nevermind their laughable damage vs armor and hull and inferiority vs even machineguns, and then there are sabots, which are ultra limited by ammo, and are chewed up effortlessly by flak.

Higher tech ships that spew beams and pulses and energy blasts already generate a ton of flux on themselves, don't do that great against shields, and have terrible point defense that can't even begin to compare to the likes of their ballistic counterparts.

The only real advantage of high tech ships is their speed, which the AI is not even close to utilizing like the player can.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 08, 2012, 02:15:23 PM »

It really depends on scale of ship involved; my current all-energy medusa loadout chews up entire pirate fleets, but would have a hard time bringing down the shields of another medusa, and would totally fail to even breach shields against a high tech capital ship of any sort - whereas it's quite capable of taking down an onslaught (or any lesser low-tech ship) in 1v1 combat.  (Or, more commonly, 2+v1 - though with onslaughts that might give me trouble; I haven't bothered with any pd weapons, and 8x pilum launcher might actually be a bit much for my shields to handle.)

And I'm not sure where you're getting your "only options in response are gravitons" comment from.  Gravitons are good for range & flux-efficiency; they're not otherwise particularly strong weapons.  Pulse lasers or antimatter blasters are typically better for taking down enemy shields.

As far as sabots... May I suggest dodging?  They're not the world's most accurate missiles, especially if you're staying out of point blank range.  (And you should be staying out of point blank range, for the aforementioned reason of machine guns.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29