Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.51a (Released) - Live Patch Notes  (Read 236202 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.5a (In Development) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »

Btw, have you fixed the bug that makes a fighter group still appeared damaged on a combat mini-map if you brought it in with missing ships, even after you send it to repair at a carrier? Example: Bring in a talon group with 2 out of 4 ships alive, order "repair and refit", after it's fixed it has 4 ships but appears to still have 2 on the mini-map.

Pretty sure I did.

Love the inclusion of Fast Forwarding, though I'm hoping it won't be limited to just 2x speed (halving 4 minute travel times still means it takes 2 minutes to get from one station to another, but a 10x reduction makes it just 24 seconds long).

Beyond 2x, it gets very Benny Hill. With lots of quick-loading because you engaged something you couldn't react to in time. Never mind that it'll be a bit rough trying to simulate the whole sector at something greater than that :) This is very much a "for now" feature, because of how the current star system is. Depending on how the larger campaign shapes up, it could go away entirely (if warranted), or not - but it won't get faster. It could really mess up the feel of the game, if we're not careful. I'd rather add other means of quickly getting from place to place than ramp up the fast-forward button.

Yes, the tiered travel speed makes sense from a game-mechanics perspective (and could be easily displayed by just dividing the current values by 10 and rounding down).  It's how you get the base speed prior to applying that step that is, to me, counterintuitive.

Although, tiered speed might not be needed when we've got more than one system - add interstellar travel, and suddenly there's a limit on chase duration; if the fleeing fleet gets far enough out to jump to hyperdrive, well, that's that.  Of course, in that case, we'd need a good built-in ETA calculation - so that you'd be able to see something like "pursuing pirate fleet; intercept in 2 days", or "pursuing pirate fleet; intercept in 5 days (outside hyper limit)", or something.

Yeah, definitely a possibility. Lots of mechanics in this version are stand-ins to "make it work" in the absence of other core game systems.

MechaLenin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »

What's the approx. number of systems planned for 1.0?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:14:22 PM by MechaLenin »

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:59 PM »

been said they were aiming for 1000 but that could change drastically in either direction
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

outside

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 06:02:35 PM »

What would happen if, faced with a much larger fleet, the player chose to engage (attack/defend instead of escape) but then just deployed one ship, retreated, and waited for the enemy fleet to take all the objectives? Would that potentially be a safer way to get a fleet out of a bad situation than actually trying to escape?

Potentially - but the retreated/reserve ships would take some damage in the process, after the "battle". So after a few rounds of that, the player's fleet would be very beat up, leading to some ships surrendering instead of retreating.

On the other hand, ships that "escape" aren't subject to this extra, post-battle damage - assuming they actually manage to escape.

What if after a battle, if any of the losing side's ships are in reserve or retreated (not escaped), a new engagement immediately began between those ships and the remaining winning fleet?

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 06:50:20 PM »

is the render for the weapon arcs fixed (I'm looking at you Tachyon-Lance)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 06:52:22 PM »

is the render for the weapon arcs fixed (I'm looking at you Tachyon-Lance)

No, but it's on the list. Technically, that's not a fix, but an improvement :D

What if after a battle, if any of the losing side's ships are in reserve or retreated (not escaped), a new engagement immediately began between those ships and the remaining winning fleet?

I'm not sure what that'd accomplish. Makes actual retreat completely impossible in a loss, right?

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »

For some reason im incredibly interested in the new missiles (as well as the idea of point defense missiles...)..

For some reason, I want to try my hand at modding with these new things - A sort of 'missiles only' conversion, where basically everything relies on missiles and shooting down enemy missiles... hmmmmmm

Blackoth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »

Thumbs up baby!

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »

Yayyyy interceptor missiles! Need more swarmers....

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 09:00:33 PM »

Very beautiful looking patch note, especially loving the balance fixes ;D

Will this be save game compatible?  I already restarted my game about 20+ times so it won't be an issue if it isn't, but I was still curious.

For some reason im incredibly interested in the new missiles (as well as the idea of point defense missiles...)..

For some reason, I want to try my hand at modding with these new things - A sort of 'missiles only' conversion, where basically everything relies on missiles and shooting down enemy missiles... hmmmmmm

Would love to see that with addition of missile 'smoke' trail for some nice looking "Itano Circus" ;D

horstwin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 01:58:44 AM »

hey guys!

i just jumped on the starfarer train about 2 weeks ago and since i don't really know my way around here i'll speak freely in this thread:

i'm a serial indie-game enthusiast and tend to buy them if i like the direction they are going. but starfarer is truly the first game i didn't regret to buy. even the 0.5a preview represents most of the stuff i really seek in a space game. keep up the good work! a question: how do i get the development version? or is it the one i already have? how do i check it?

anyways, nice work guys. expect me to be regulary around from now on!

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 02:07:53 AM »

you have the development version  ;D

time to drop that "preview" Alex LOL
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 03:05:45 AM »

YAY on the meidum MRM's thats all i really care about... i guess the fleet speed changes too... but medium MRM my heatred for lrm's feels so happy.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 03:57:32 AM »

Now i'm all for balancing but i'm curious how fast are the Medusa and Tempest now? Was the tempest nerf to make the Hyperion more favored for speed?
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

outside

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 05:16:52 AM »

I'm not sure what that'd accomplish. Makes actual retreat completely impossible in a loss, right?

It would mean the ships that retreated/didn't deploy in a loss would then (assuming they choose the escape option in the second engagement) have to run past the enemy fleet to escape, rather than randomly taking damage off screen. The idea was just to afford the player a little more control, and make things a little more transparent.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29