Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.51a (Released) - Live Patch Notes  (Read 236592 times)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.51a (Released) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2012, 07:36:58 PM »

I think he's talking about the issue where clicking the red "X" at the top right when windowed, alt+F4, and alt-tab are all disabled in the game, albeit in a very rude way if he is.

Alt-tab should work - I use it all the time.

Yeah it works, to clear this up, I think I might have meant that the function doesn't work when an error comes up during the first loading screen.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2012, 07:47:11 PM »

The comment about the improved AI got me wondering, will different factions have different behaviors, e.g. the hegemmony will try to carefully flank, while the Cult of Lud doesn't bother and just goes in for the kill and traders are panicky and uncoordinated (or maybe certain captains do different things). Well you get the gist of my pondering.

Oh and somewhat unrelated would it be a good or bad idea for fog-of-war in system map (and detection of an object depends on its size) although this would only be a hindrance to you and not the AI...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:50:06 PM by intothewildblueyonder »

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2012, 08:26:59 PM »

Any idea of when we'll be able to navigate by clicking on the map? quite bothersome trying to go far when you need to click constantly.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2012, 08:29:24 PM »

Any idea of when we'll be able to navigate by clicking on the map? quite bothersome trying to go far when you need to click constantly.

You can now.

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2012, 08:43:25 PM »

You didn't need to click constantly anyway, you just needed to hold down the button.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2012, 10:23:55 PM »

I'd like to weigh in on the "having to type   d e l e t e   to delete a saved game" issue that seems to be going back and forth; cease discussion. It is a Good Idea. Sorry, but users (that's us) are dumb. We do all kinds of *** where we need coddling and undo and when there's a high degree of friction between a user and a rarely used action with potentially infuriating consequences, it is a solid design decision.

Kids are angry about it; that is, until the feature saves their bacon on a 20-hour savefile.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2012, 10:53:49 PM »

Your faith in the average user is quite low it seems.

I have full faith in myself to not delete a game by accident. I mean, there's just no way. Loading a game requires 1 click. If there was a yes/no prompt there would be 2 clicks. Now, I could get confused if there was overwriting or loading saves, but as it stands aright now overwriting or loading saves takes one button click.

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2012, 11:20:35 PM »

Yeah sorry should have tried playing it before i asked haha, its a goddamn dream now though i miss alot of the mods ship varietys and weapons but love the weaponless hulls! no more 60k of useless weapons on my onslaught!

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2012, 11:33:51 PM »

Yeah, deleting several save files at once is kind of a pain, since you have to type "delete" over and over again. Perhaps it could be implemented to delete without a prompt, but provide an "Undo" button. Perform the actual deletion of the save files that have been marked for deletion when the save game dialog is closed, and allow recovery of the saves anytime before then (show the save as greyed out if marked for deletion). I find it to be a bit of a stretch to imagine that someone would accidentally delete their save game and then proceed to close the dialog as well.

Bartcheeks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 08, 2012, 12:11:21 AM »

have patience my fellow starfarers, typing delete just takes less than 2 seconds of your life, which i'm sure all of you can afford :P

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #190 on: March 08, 2012, 12:21:41 AM »

Yeah, it's not much of an issue as I don't usually delete saves (main time was after I updated, since the save files aren't compatible), but I think it's all part of the streamlining to create a flawless 1.0 product. I think my above suggestion should work well in this case, unless it's particularly difficult to implement here for some reason.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 08, 2012, 12:32:11 AM »

I'd like to weigh in on the "having to type   d e l e t e   to delete a saved game" issue that seems to be going back and forth; cease discussion. It is a Good Idea. Sorry, but users (that's us) are dumb. We do all kinds of *** where we need coddling and undo and when there's a high degree of friction between a user and a rarely used action with potentially infuriating consequences, it is a solid design decision.

Kids are angry about it; that is, until the feature saves their bacon on a 20-hour savefile.

Feel free to proclaim that you're dumb all you want, Trylobot, but please don't presume to talk such rubbish on my behalf. I am not a child, I do not need training wheels on my bicycle, I do not need my car to beep at me when the lights are on and the engine isn't running, and I don't need a prompt that requires me to type "delete" to delete a save. Much like the beeping, I actually find it mildly insulting.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:25:52 AM by Sordid »

Arrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2012, 12:46:37 AM »

Feel free to proclaim that you're dumb all you want, Trylobot, but please don't presume to talk such rubbish on my behalf. I am not a child, I do not need training wheels on my bicycle, I do not need my car to beep at me when the lights are on and the engine isn't running, and I don't need a prompt that requires me to type "delete" to delete a save. Much like the beeping, I actually find it mildly insulting.

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 08, 2012, 12:47:11 AM »

Ugh ballistic weapons are horrible--my enforcer destroyer regularly gets overloaded and sits there not firing a shot because my weapons generate an absurd amount of flux. What the hell is the point of non energy weapons if they generate flux? Okim had the right idea, small ballistic weapons should generate 0 flux with their down sides being tracking and ammo dependency. If i'm forced to stick vulcans and MG's on my medium weapon slots because my flux gets overloaded constantly i should either get a massive ammo boost or have them generate no flux.

Its getting annoying as hell getting overloaded every single goddamn battle while i watch every single gun be silent because i cant fire them due to flux generation. If i had a choice for universal slots between energy weapons and ballistic weapons i'd choose energy hands down because i could put the points needed for extended magazines into flux/shield management and get a bigger bonus. The worst part is i know i'll have to get a TT ship because their so obviously better then the other options--ballistic weapons should be the balancing factor.

On the other hand the assault cannon is goddamn beautiful--made the mistake of selling them and now i'm actively hunting hounds hoping for more! I dont know if changed it recently but i remember them having around 400-500 range and a horrible ammo count and now they have 600 range and around 1000 rounds with extended mags!

I love the new missile system with the progressively larger slots but the missile speed is still absurd! Why are swarmers so slow? i mean its intended as an anti fighter missile yet a frigate can outrun it in a straight line and their a much bigger target then a fighter. Swarmers either need a speed boost or a range boost though i'd love a mix of both, if you've seen the raptor SRM pod from the mod forums that is how they should act!

The rocket missile speed could also use some work, their very predictable and quite useless when their not point blank. They should be like the sabot missiles where once fired they speed forward making them extremely hard to dodge though you'd still have to deal with the spread and their short range. I could see a torpedo like spread with the current rocket speed but if its small it should be extremely fast.

A small object with a massive engine shouldent take time to build up speed, it should either have an efficient slow engine like the pilum with great range or it should have an overcharged engine that slams it towards the target but doesnt have the fuel for massive correction.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2012, 01:31:20 AM »

Ugh ballistic weapons are horrible--my enforcer destroyer regularly gets overloaded and sits there not firing a shot because my weapons generate an absurd amount of flux. What the hell is the point of non energy weapons if they generate flux? Okim had the right idea, small ballistic weapons should generate 0 flux with their down sides being tracking and ammo dependency. If i'm forced to stick vulcans and MG's on my medium weapon slots because my flux gets overloaded constantly i should either get a massive ammo boost or have them generate no flux.

Its getting annoying as hell getting overloaded every single goddamn battle while i watch every single gun be silent because i cant fire them due to flux generation. If i had a choice for universal slots between energy weapons and ballistic weapons i'd choose energy hands down because i could put the points needed for extended magazines into flux/shield management and get a bigger bonus. The worst part is i know i'll have to get a TT ship because their so obviously better then the other options--ballistic weapons should be the balancing factor.

On the other hand the assault cannon is goddamn beautiful--made the mistake of selling them and now i'm actively hunting hounds hoping for more! I dont know if changed it recently but i remember them having around 400-500 range and a horrible ammo count and now they have 600 range and around 1000 rounds with extended mags!

I love the new missile system with the progressively larger slots but the missile speed is still absurd! Why are swarmers so slow? i mean its intended as an anti fighter missile yet a frigate can outrun it in a straight line and their a much bigger target then a fighter. Swarmers either need a speed boost or a range boost though i'd love a mix of both, if you've seen the raptor SRM pod from the mod forums that is how they should act!

The rocket missile speed could also use some work, their very predictable and quite useless when their not point blank. They should be like the sabot missiles where once fired they speed forward making them extremely hard to dodge though you'd still have to deal with the spread and their short range. I could see a torpedo like spread with the current rocket speed but if its small it should be extremely fast.

A small object with a massive engine shouldent take time to build up speed, it should either have an efficient slow engine like the pilum with great range or it should have an overcharged engine that slams it towards the target but doesnt have the fuel for massive correction.

I somewhat agree on the ballistic weapons, some are just plain dumb because of ammo dependancy, tracking and a massive amount of flux, but others work wonders. don't get me wrong, I find energy based weapons (specifically beam) superior in almost every manner.
Sure it takes a bit longer on the hull, but on the other hand I can fire indefinitely if my ship is rigged right..

About the swarmers and rockets I completely agree, the Annihilator rocket pod right now is a waste of space and OP.. It won't hit anything unless your point blank.. or it's a cap ship, in which case they won't really do anything anyways because of a lack of damage :P
It needs a speed boost.

Swarmers they track very well, but their short range and limited speed greatly hinder their usefulness..
I'd like to see them have maybe 1000 range, and 50% more speed?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:18:28 AM by Plasmatic »
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29