Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dagger Bombers always out of attack range on the Astral  (Read 1492 times)

Gennadios

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Dagger Bombers always out of attack range on the Astral
« on: January 16, 2018, 03:57:33 PM »

I don't know if this is specific to the Dagger bombers, but watching my Officer controlled Astral, I noticed that the Daggers almost never attacked. I tried switching to a more aggressive Officer with the same results.

They do attack on the Odyssey, it seems as if it's because the Odyssey tends to move in closer to the action, and on both ships the Daggers loiter near the Aft, never having a chance to do anything at the extreme ranges the Astral engages in.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Dagger Bombers always out of attack range on the Astral
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 04:17:23 PM »

Is it possible the Astral is just letting bomber numbers replenish? I'm not seeing this behavior on my end, and if it was a commonplace occurrence I'd expect it to have come up by now, hmm. A screenshot of your Astral's loadout might help.

Also, are you playing vanilla or with mods?

Gennadios

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:54:48 PM »

Is it possible the Astral is just letting bomber numbers replenish? I'm not seeing this behavior on my end, and if it was a commonplace occurrence I'd expect it to have come up by now, hmm. A screenshot of your Astral's loadout might help.

Also, are you playing vanilla or with mods?

Vanilla, I shelved the astral and had to rebuild it, but getting the same behavior in the simulations.

The loadout is all Graviton beams. I suspect that with the 1200 range with the help of Advanced Optics this thing keeps too high a range to engage the bombers.

Once in a while I see them engaging their shields (I assume they when they float into attack range) and then promptly float behind and turn them off again. Ran a few simulations with this loadout and the Dagger triangles are still just clustering behind the ship on the tactical map.

[attachment deleted by admin]

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 11:59:32 PM »

... This might be a stupid question @Gennadios, but when controlling the Astral are you setting the fighters to "Engage"?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 10:08:08 AM »

Vanilla, I shelved the astral and had to rebuild it, but getting the same behavior in the simulations.

The loadout is all Graviton beams. I suspect that with the 1200 range with the help of Advanced Optics this thing keeps too high a range to engage the bombers.

Once in a while I see them engaging their shields (I assume they when they float into attack range) and then promptly float behind and turn them off again. Ran a few simulations with this loadout and the Dagger triangles are still just clustering behind the ship on the tactical map.

Aha, thank you - the issue was with the Xyphos fighters, which are "support" and don't attack far from the carrier. Having some on the carrier was causing it to mis-evaluate whether it should give the order to engage to its other fighters. Fixed this up. For the time being, I'd suggest taking the Xyphos fighters out - I think you'll probably end up with a more effective loadout, too :)