Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Campaign like EV NOVA?  (Read 2995 times)

Gus979

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Campaign like EV NOVA?
« on: January 01, 2018, 08:49:11 AM »

Just curious.  Were there ever dev plans to add in a story campaign for each faction or is this going to be more quest/relation/faction based?  Just wondering. I know the dev likes to work from the foundation up so I was hoping this would be a far in the future feature.  I think this game would be good without it, but really awesome with it.

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign like EV NOVA?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 06:46:16 AM »

Escape velocity nova was a good game. I've also thought about the possibility to add text adventures in this game. It would make a very fitting addition to the game imo

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 03:15:19 PM »

Unless someone makes a Rules.csv editor that can make the rules file less overwhelming, I don't think we'll have a EV nova level campaign
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 03:36:15 PM »

Personally, I'd rather have a campaign like EV:Override.  Something that's less of a 'here, play as the protagonist of a book' and more 'here are some things going on that you can involve yourself in if you manage to figure out where they are'.

EVN had a few very specific stories it told.  EVO was much more open.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:41:45 PM »

I love it when gameplay is "sandbox" but really there is a story line, or multiple possibilities or concurrent story lines playing out in the background influencing events.

Kinda how stellaris is basically a story driven sandbox game.

Where is kinda like
1. Discover aliens and struggle to find decent world to settle.
2. Discover anomalies and discover your new neighborhood.
3. Disputes and maybe change how your society works.
4. War! Alliances!
5. Told you doing that research in order to get an advantage during war was a bad idea.
6. Defeat one of few possible galaxy threats.
7. You saved the galaxy! You win!

And every game plays out basically to this story line. It's a great one too!

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »

Personally, I'd rather have a campaign like EV:Override.  Something that's less of a 'here, play as the protagonist of a book' and more 'here are some things going on that you can involve yourself in if you manage to figure out where they are'.

EVN had a few very specific stories it told.  EVO was much more open.

EVO also did a much better job of rewarding player knowledge of the universe. I still remember where Freeport is, and why that's important.

The level of scripting required to get that kind of 'mission' experience seems prohibitive, so I'm hoping that Starsector will treat us to a series of ongoing galaxy-wide events that we can involve ourselves in and influence. That would add another set of goals to do the sandboxy progression tasks like founding colonies and expanding your fleet for.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »

I'm hoping that Starsector will treat us to a series of ongoing galaxy-wide events that we can involve ourselves in and influence.
i believe that's the intention, yeah. from the official features list: "Leave your mark upon the world and determine the fate of the Sector with your decisions". that sounds like there will be impactful events that we can influence in one direction or another.

iirc Alex has said that a real main story/quest won't be a thing though, as it would interfere too much with the sandbox gameplay.