Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 125

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] TC: Archean Order: Rebalanced Combat/Lore RPG - *hotfix* 4/14/22  (Read 722623 times)

DisposableAccountName

• Ensign
    • View Profile

The planet you initially spawn next to with the default start. (Hegemony controlled.)
Though, I'm using mods other than AO. (Industrial Evolution touches planet stuff though I'm not sure if that includes resource nodes.)

Actually wait let me just check since the start seems to be partially randomized. Maybe just location.

Alright, planet is called Eventide.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:13:01 PM by DisposableAccountName »

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile

Hmm well it's not a bad id from what I can tell but the weird thing is that it's not in vanilla but is in the beta yet I don't actually touch resources on Eventide according the spreadsheet. I do add resources (the ones that shouldn't be on Eventide) on Tigra City which is the line above in the spreadsheet.

I'm going to have to take a look at the logic. Something isn't working there but I'll see what the logs say first. Let me know if you see any other weirdness like that.

DisposableAccountName

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Just to note again and make sure you're aware: That isn't with only AO active. I'm reasonably certain the only mod in my list other than AO that might be involved is Industrial Evolution, but for clarity's sake the full list is below.

Spoiler
AO
Audio Plus
Automatic Orders
Cari UI
Combat Chatter
Combat Analytics
Commissioned Crews
Common Radar
Dynamic Tariffs - (Note here, the tariff in the port was 13% which seems kinda low? May be a conflict, since tariffs are meant to be way higher iirc.)
Fuel Siphoning
GraphicsLib
Hyperdrive
Industrial Evolution
LazyLib
New Beginnings
Nexelerin
Ruthless Sector
Second Wave
SpeedUp
Starship Legends
Supply Forging
Unknown Skies
[close]

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Ah ok I corrected it. I wasn't clearing my lists so it was applying unintended changes if the cell was empty instead of ignoring the logic as intended. I can't correct it mid-save - or rather the work to do that would be enough to not make it worth it. I corrected the DL link for any subsequence new games though. Sorry if this affects the campaign economy for the current game. I'm not sure how widespread of an issue it ended up being.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6cxbrz5xcftwn8m/AAAaOPS8xMh6uIN5Pd1mwrbta?dl=0

DisposableAccountName

• Ensign
    • View Profile

It's fine. I suppose I got lucky catching this, considering it was literally the planet I spawned next to. It cost me like, 2 minutes. ;P

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It's fine. I suppose I got lucky catching this, considering it was literally the planet I spawned next to. It cost me like, 2 minutes. ;P

Tbh, it could have also been pretty obvious in other places potentially lol. I never checked a lot of the market conditions before releasing the beta. I checked a couple of markets to verify that the override settings logic worked for each category but I didn't check everything so there could be more bugs I haven't found yet based upon similar logic errors I didn't catch. I'm glad it didn't affect your save much though.

DisposableAccountName

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Yeah. Unfortunately I'm not quite certain about what things are supposed to be exclusive traits. Generally speaking is it the case that there shouldn't ever be something both positive and negative affect the same planetary condition? For instance, Thin Atmosphere and Habitable like the place I just found? Or are some of those intended to be able to show up at the same time?

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yeah. Unfortunately I'm not quite certain about what things are supposed to be exclusive traits. Generally speaking is it the case that there shouldn't ever be something both positive and negative affect the same planetary condition? For instance, Thin Atmosphere and Habitable like the place I just found? Or are some of those intended to be able to show up at the same time?

That's probably intended depending upon the lore of the world. But if it shouldn't be then I'm open to suggestions (I'm not exactly sure myself except for the more obvious ones). I probably put both because I wanted to convey a sense of "habitable but not very pleasant" or something like that. I don't add or remove either of those conditions in the override logic to my knowledge so I don't think it's that off hand. Hazard rating conditions are a little easier to stack at least from a game standpoint.

Iirc I mostly did a lot of the conditions based upon lore. Gameplay/economy considerations were generally based around mining-specific resource nodes, industries, and defensive structures. I'd welcome any education in that particular category since I haven't thoroughly tested market economy other than my campaign tests as a whole.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Alright, so another strike craft pass to build upon the new balance concepts post-rework. I've been using Albreo's balance tier list as a reference as well as my own testing experience after recent changes. I also wanted to extrapolate the role of fighters into something more concrete. Should likely be compatible with current saves.

DL: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6cxbrz5xcftwn8m/AAAaOPS8xMh6uIN5Pd1mwrbta?dl=0

As a reminder of the general thought process of strike craft roles and their relation to carriers and warships:

Spoiler
1) Carriers can more easily equip gunships and bombers which deal a lot more damage to ships than interceptors.

2) Warships get OP cost reductions to interceptors and fighters.

3) Interceptors are crucial to supporting ships - especially smaller ones - against massed gunships in particular. They also help a fair amount against bombers both by taking them out and by providing additional PD.

4) Fighters are the oddball role in that they can do a little bit of everything depending upon the wing. I wanted to flesh this out a bit more.
[close]

Note: A secondary goal of these changes was to ensure that while combat performance of lower OP wings is necessarily worse as a concept, that doesn't mean that using low OP wings is unattractive overall.

The changes are not documented in detail in order to save time, but here is a summary:

Spoiler
1) Fighters have been given additional weaponry in most cases. (The Hellcat was a test bed for this.) Though their overall role still changes from wing to wing, in general they either do their specialized role better or they can perform multiple roles in some cases. (Broadsword comes to mind.)

2) Interceptors replace much faster than other strike craft depending upon their relative tier. They are the go-to anti-strike craft defense for warships and carriers alike. PD is a separate consideration for each.

3) Low OP wings like the Warrior or Brute that only deal one damage type and have less weapons replace faster. So in addition to the OP discount they can at least keep the carrier or warship's replacement rate up even though their combat performance is worse.

4) Strike craft weapons deal 250% damage against other strike craft. (So base damage x 2.5 - Up from 200% in the prior download.)
[close]

The idea here is that fighters have less defense and are easier to destroy than gunships, but they perform more competitively against them at the expense of lower average replacement rate for the ship. So due to their OP discount they are pointedly favored on warships as a way to give those vessels a clear choice between interceptors or fighters - which generally means less OP for the build while still allowing the build to be viable unlike the addition of most gunships or bombers.

Carriers, on the other hand, are generally going to equip gunships over fighters unless they are going for an interceptor build to guard other ships. Then fighters become an option again as a source of damage when the interceptors aren't needed to guard anything. Fighters tend to have anti-strike craft weapons as well as assault/strike weapons so they complement interceptors well without changing the AI's use of the interceptors.

I'm patching this in to the DL, so if I miss a file or something and it causes a crash please let me know. I'll verify on my end sometime later tonight.

*EDIT* Found an obscure bug that I fixed while testing today. I'll update the DL overnight

Thoughts after testing for a while today:
I also made some additional tweaks to a few wings. I increased replacement time for the Hercules - which ended up being too low. I also reduced replacement time for the Paradigm since it was outperformed by the Trident for the same DP. The Claw and Renegade feel like they are in a good spot at the moment especially since the Renegade gets the warship discount to OP now. The Broadsword (A) heavy fighter was too good with additional Shockstorm rockets so I increased its OP from 24 to 28. It might even need to be 30. Finally from what I remember, I gave a Burst PD Laser to the Spark, decreased defense for the Cyclops and Hellcat, and increased the Cyclops wing size to 3 from 2.

Outside of the Krakken, the midline line of wings seems really solid overall. The Krakken probably needs further testing but its a Legendary so it can afford to be a bit broken for now.

Lowtech feels much better even if its still likely not optimal. Reducing replacement times for the lowtech tanks gunships really helped give them a niche and I may play around with that further before considering wing balance "finalized" for this update. Lowtech bombers feel better because they are less likely to die from ship fire since they release their payloads from farther away. This also has the side effect of letting frigates and destroyers dodge torpedoes which seems better than forcing losses and damage on both sides.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 07:38:02 PM by Morrokain »

Albreo

• Commander
  • A! Oh nyo!
    • View Profile

Spoiler
520273 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Slot id [WS0001] not found on hull [spark]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Slot id [WS0001] not found on hull [spark]
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleetMemberView.renderWeapons(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.A.new.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.A.new.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.refit.B.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.o00OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.render(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.refit.O0oO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newnew.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.o00OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.render(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.e$Oo.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.v.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.e.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.D.I.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.N.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.K.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.refit.FighterPickerDialog.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.O0oO.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.o0oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.Objectsuper.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.render(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]

The game crashed on me when just scrolling through the refit screen. This is the old save since BETA started.

The new sabot is quite silly though. I think the old one feels better, anyway, low priority stuff. Obliterator needs another nerf hammer also, DPS's still too good.

Concentrated Shield is no longer appealing when it can't be used with Extended Shield. It's not viable to use in a real situation with many strike crafts around.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Spoiler
520273 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Slot id [WS0001] not found on hull [spark]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Slot id [WS0001] not found on hull [spark]
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleetMemberView.renderWeapons(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.A.new.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.A.new.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.refit.B.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.refit.O0oO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newnew.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.e$Oo.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.e.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.D.I.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.K.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.refit.FighterPickerDialog.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.O0oO.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.o0oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.Objectsuper.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.render(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]

The game crashed on me when just scrolling through the refit screen. This is the old save since BETA started.

The new sabot is quite silly though. I think the old one feels better, anyway, low priority stuff. Obliterator needs another nerf hammer also, DPS's still too good.

Concentrated Shield is no longer appealing when it can't be used with Extended Shield. It's not viable to use in a real situation with many strike crafts around.

The crash should go away with a full delete and redownload of the mod directory (hopefully) or did you just do that? The problem was that it was overriding the vanilla variants of REDACTED wings as well as using the mod variants so it would crash when scrolling through the wing list in the variants refit screen. I should have removed all of that last night. I won't be able to double check myself until later today.

For the Sabot, do you mean the version where it had higher armor penetration and was a single projectile?

For Concentrated Shields that is honestly an intended downside because it makes shields so much better. Have you tried defending with a lot of interceptors to relieve some of the strike craft pressure?

Keep in mind:
 - The carrier needs to only have interceptors or fighters equipped - no bombers or gunships unless it is a PD gunship (which is considered an interceptor to the AI).
 - Assign an escort order to your flagship with Concentrated Shields to have the interceptors directly support it - though it will do it automatically under AI control as long as it doesn't have any bombers.

If that doesn't help much I'll consider reducing its arc reduction. Combining the two hullmods is too much of a mandatory OP sink imo because its so good to have 360 shields with 20% extra hp and increased damage efficiency.

Albreo

• Commander
  • A! Oh nyo!
    • View Profile

I always delete everything and do a clean install of the mod so yeah. If you want the save file I can upload it.

For the Sabot, do you mean the version where it had higher armor penetration and was a single projectile?
Not the vanilla, the one before beta, it looks more believable. This new one has a secondary projectile range very far. it's kind of ridiculous. Your Sabot is more of a short gun so it shouldn't go that far. I would go with buffing missile speed, HP, or changing patterns would fit with the theme more. Or making secondary projectiles invincible or prematurely detonate secondary projectile when destroy but dealing only half damage. Can it fly in engine interdiction pattern but detonate when it's only on a quarter of the route?

For Concentrated Shields that is honestly an intended downside because it makes shields so much better. Have you tried defending with a lot of interceptors to relieve some of the strike craft pressure?
It's not enough to counter from my PoV. Usually, the craft AI tends to group up together into a massive blob. So, 30+ crafts can only help one ship at a time instead of spreading out. That's why I was thinking that some interceptor and PD drone ranges should be reduced to only cover their own ship only or ships next to it. It's useless to sent interceptors to attack enemy ships anyway so that role can be left to fighters.

All of my interceptors are on the battleships and all of my carriers were filled with fighters, gunships, and bombers to the brim lol.

If that doesn't help much I'll consider reducing its arc reduction. Combining the two hullmods is too much of a mandatory OP sink imo because its so good to have 360 shields with 20% extra hp and increased damage efficiency.
I wouldn't want 360 that would be too much but 180 isn't cut out (it's only useful on 360 shield ship like Paragon anyway). I would prefer around 220-250 degrees of the shield arc after the Extended Shield apply. The OP sink is kind of justify since apart from shield damage reduction I also get massive flux capacity. This is almost equal to dumping 60 points into it for Paragon. And I kind of profit some instead of using normal Hardened Shield + 60 Flux capacity.

Or if you think it OK as it is, I'm fine with that. It still dominates in 1v1 situation anyway.

Accelerate Shield stack on Magelith is also kind of OP but it didn't bother me too much.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:44:11 PM by Albreo »

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I always delete everything and do a clean install of the mod so yeah. If you want the save file I can upload it.
Ah ok I found it I had to click on the Brilliant to reproduce it. Turns out the variant file I edited accidently pointed to the original hull instead of the mod hull. Should be fixed. I also increased the OP cost of the Lux fighter since it has an extra anti-ship weapon alongside seriously good anti-strike craft capability. It's at 30 OP now and the Brilliant variants have been adjusted.

Not the vanilla, the one before beta, it looks more believable. This new one has a secondary projectile range very far. it's kind of ridiculous. Your Sabot is more of a short gun so it shouldn't go that far. I would go with buffing missile speed, HP, or changing patterns would fit with the theme more. Or making secondary projectiles invincible or prematurely detonate secondary projectile when destroy but dealing only half damage. Can it fly in engine interdiction pattern but detonate when it's only on a quarter of the route?
The fancy flying would require scripting and I don't want to go down that route considering other priorities like variants and fleshing out Commissioned Crews support. I'll see about attempting to balance it back to short range detonation. I think you are correct in that it will likely just have to be invincible at the second stage or the missile will never hit. The PD balance will have to come from how durable the first stage missile is.

It's not enough to counter from my PoV. Usually, the craft AI tends to group up together into a massive blob. So, 30+ crafts can only help one ship at a time instead of spreading out. That's why I was thinking that some interceptor and PD drone ranges should be reduced to only cover their own ship only or ships next to it. It's useless to sent interceptors to attack enemy ships anyway so that role can be left to fighters.

All of my interceptors are on the battleships and all of my carriers were filled with fighters, gunships, and bombers to the brim lol.
I did reduce the range of some drones for this reason. That should help the general AI for some builds. As far as other interceptors, I'd try a full interceptor/fighter carrier or two and assign escort orders to protect specific ships. It's some additional battle micro certainly but the mod is partly about tactics like this. Based upon your description of the fleet, I'd say that only having interceptors on warships might not be enough for large swarms of strike craft. At least when concentrated shields is in play.

If even that sort of tactic is insufficient, then I'll lighten the arc reduction penalty a bit.

I wouldn't want 360 that would be too much but 180 isn't cut out (it's only useful on 360 shield ship like Paragon anyway). I would prefer around 220-250 degrees of the shield arc after the Extended Shield apply. The OP sink is kind of justify since apart from shield damage reduction I also get massive flux capacity. This is almost equal to dumping 60 points into it for Paragon. And I kind of profit some instead of using normal Hardened Shield + 60 Flux capacity.

Or if you think it OK as it is, I'm fine with that. It still dominates in 1v1 situation anyway.

Accelerate Shield stack on Magelith is also kind of OP but it didn't bother me too much.
I agree that the OP sink would be justified for the benefit that wasn't my issue though. It's that the two would be too good of an option and so builds would revolve around the OP sink which to me doesn't feel good. I like that the current way the build works forces a trade off. You trade strike craft and frigate defense for capital defense in a 1v1 situation.

The Paragon definitely becomes more vulnerable due to its low armor and so it's a pretty serious consideration on whether to take the hullmod. Hardened Shields, on the other hand, gives increased defense without a trade off - but far less increased defense.

I think the two different options are more interesting this way. If I changed it to a 220 or 250 arc there might not be a significant enough downside. I'll need to test how interceptor carriers perform.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Beta Update:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6cxbrz5xcftwn8m/AAAaOPS8xMh6uIN5Pd1mwrbta?dl=0

Brief Summary:
 - Weapon balance pass focusing mostly on missiles. They have had a buff to their regeneration rate/sustained dps in many cases with a few reworks here and there.
 - Fixed Obliterator damage. (Not really sure what happened there - probably a typo. Either way definitely not intended. :P)
 - Reworked Squall - It can fire less often but damage has increased considerably. Can now cause overloads to ships with omni shields or front 360 shields.
 - The Fury Rocket System is much, much more scary than it was before. It abused the AI too much in the previous version. Now it has a long cd and costs a lot of flux but has immense burst damage and decent armor penetration for a kinetic rocket.
 - Tripled Harpoon missile hp. For reference, PD still negates many of them but they survive fighter/interceptor swarms a bit more easily.
 - Reworked Sabot - still reliable but triggers the second stage missile at a closer distance. Second stage missile amount increased and is invulnerable to weapons fire.
 - Improved the AIs use of Conquest stock variants.
 - Increased Shattercell and Heavy Shattercell dps and hit strength. Still not very good against armored strike craft, but better against shielded strike craft and slightly larger AO radius against missiles.
 - Added most of the capital variants to the Dev Mode simulation ship list.
 - Cleaned up strike craft hullmods. Most effects are now merged into the Fighter-class Systems hullmod. Strike Craft can no longer have their weapons or engines disabled and are immune to EMP.

Albreo

• Commander
  • A! Oh nyo!
    • View Profile

A question, where do I find those simulation’s capital ships to test against?
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 125