Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 125

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] TC: Archean Order: Rebalanced Combat/Lore RPG - *hotfix* 4/14/22  (Read 722411 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] TC: Archean Order: Rebalanced Combat/Lore RPG - Lore update 1/20
« Reply #600 on: February 11, 2020, 06:54:08 PM »

Any strategic advice for stopping the Archean Order from curb-stomping literally every other faction into the dust?  I've seen campaigns where they are down to two planets, declare war on someone with eight planets and still come out the winner every time.  I've seen them single-handedly fight entire alliances and win.

Hmm, that's certainly not intended. You mean the autoresolve battles, correct? Or are they dominating in actual allied battles, etc? I am also assuming Nex is installed since there are planet count differences, war, etc.

Autoresolve should mostly base these battles on FP (though from what I've read, shield strength is a factor on damage taken in autoresolve which might make future player battles easier, etc). Archean Order vessels' FPs are slightly higher than Tri-Tach vessels' iirc, but not enough that they should destroy everything. Well at least I wouldn't think so.

I'll take a look at the Nex settings for the faction and see if there is anything I can try to prevent this, but testing would be problematic.

It seem kinds of weird to me that a bunch of religious zealots could somehow field technology than makes Tri-Tachyon look like the Luddic Path, but there it is.

There are lore reasons. :-X (Currently not implemented)

Minor nitpick and some faction lore details/inspirations: They technically aren't a religious faction, per se, though some comparisons can definitely be drawn there (Dark Stars, etc). They are military zealots with a pseudo-cult-like loyalty to their leader because he claims to have foreseen the sector's apocalypse through... past events.  :-X

The faction is partly inspired by several fantasy series:

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson (Specifically Anomander Rake and the Tiste Andii are big inspirations, here.)

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series

The Black Company series by Glen Cook

*EDIT* Added another inspiration I had forgotten about.

The Pearl Saga by Erik Van Lustbader (Gyrgon Technomages)

And several others, really, but that gives a general overview.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:12:20 PM by Morrokain »

Sidestrafe2462

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 12, 2020, 04:37:24 PM »

Add Boggled's Terraforming Mod to the list of working mods. Tested it, no problems so far

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 12, 2020, 08:26:28 PM »

Add Boggled's Terraforming Mod to the list of working mods. Tested it, no problems so far

Added, thanks.

I plan on revamping that part once I'm sure how much compatibility I can get out of the mod merging behavior. I should be able to add a lot more, but I also want to better describe how mods interact with this one- balance-wise- so new players will understand what they are getting into (in case they want a more vanilla experience and don't quite understand what this mod does).

bazalisk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 13, 2020, 03:24:42 PM »

hi

loving the mod so far.

just wondering though, if anyone else is having issues with CTD complaining about fatal slot ID's in the Mule, Mule_d and sometimes the buffalo2? 
usually referring to a missing WS 005 or some such.

i've cast my eye over the files and although sometimes the weapon slots seem to jump from 1234 then to 7,8,9 ect.  but this seems to be true for other ships too that aren't throwing errors :s

any ideas on how to fix this or what tools i should use to DIY it myself?

thanks for any reply. 

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 13, 2020, 10:56:46 PM »

hi

loving the mod so far.

just wondering though, if anyone else is having issues with CTD complaining about fatal slot ID's in the Mule, Mule_d and sometimes the buffalo2? 
usually referring to a missing WS 005 or some such.

i've cast my eye over the files and although sometimes the weapon slots seem to jump from 1234 then to 7,8,9 ect.  but this seems to be true for other ships too that aren't throwing errors :s

any ideas on how to fix this or what tools i should use to DIY it myself?

thanks for any reply.

This is either part of the total conversion nature of the mod reflected onto vanilla files through vanilla editing mods that are included in your mod list, or an issue with your operating system based upon the replace array that this mod currently relies upon. It depends upon the mod list, operating system, etc. Either way, I am working to correct issues on both fronts in the next update. :)

I should hopefully be able to do this promptly, but the considerations are substantial, and so I must see what I can do to ensure I don't break things further by making changes that don't preserve the combat balance already present in the mod, whilst also ensuring that the mod being present in a mod list doesn't inadvertently cause unexpected behavior and also gives a fair warning of the balance differentials upon opting-in to the idea of even including additional mods with the TC in the first place, if that makes sense.

*EDIT* Removed redundancy.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:06:56 PM by Morrokain »

TaylorItaly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 13, 2020, 11:49:20 PM »

I play this mod with Arsenal Expansion and i get this Fatal Error on the medusa_ix.
I had try to solve this myself , but no luck so far....

Funny thing is , after i reload and fly inother direction , i can play a lots of hours before zjat error ecours again....

P.S.: Your mod is awesome !!! 8)

bazalisk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 14, 2020, 02:06:28 PM »

hi, thanks for the quick reply.

i understand that the issues i'm having is from playing with other mods alongside this conversion mod, and so wouldn't expect you to do anything you would not be already planning to do.  i hope i didn't give that impression here.  i am very much the type of player that slaps ALL the mods into the game till it breaks then spends months cheerfully trying to get them all to play nice as best i can,  this seems to give me as much fun as the game play itself lol.

that being said, i was wondering if there would be a way to temporarily disable the converted vanilla ships purely for compatibility until such time you are ready to implement the changes you wish to make.  (to achieve a sort of like a Archean lite if you will).

thanks again and sorry for asking these questions.   

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 14, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »

I play this mod with Arsenal Expansion and i get this Fatal Error on the medusa_ix.
I had try to solve this myself , but no luck so far....

Funny thing is , after i reload and fly inother direction , i can play a lots of hours before zjat error ecours again....

Part of the compatibility patch that's coming will solve this. I suspect its weapon slot related with the vanilla files.

P.S.: Your mod is awesome !!! 8)

Thanks!  ;D

hi, thanks for the quick reply.

i understand that the issues i'm having is from playing with other mods alongside this conversion mod, and so wouldn't expect you to do anything you would not be already planning to do.  i hope i didn't give that impression here.  i am very much the type of player that slaps ALL the mods into the game till it breaks then spends months cheerfully trying to get them all to play nice as best i can,  this seems to give me as much fun as the game play itself lol.

that being said, i was wondering if there would be a way to temporarily disable the converted vanilla ships purely for compatibility until such time you are ready to implement the changes you wish to make.  (to achieve a sort of like a Archean lite if you will).

thanks again and sorry for asking these questions.   

Oh no worries you're fine I wasn't taking it that way. It's honestly my fault for not getting the information out there properly on the main page and for the legacy TC design that I'm reworking- now that merging files is possible.

That is exactly my goal. ;) There will be a version of the mod that maintains the TC experience and overrides all the vanilla files, messes with station industries, etc- and a "lite" version that will include all the ships, weapons and factions or Archean Order but will not remove vanilla weapons, ships, etc from the codex or campaign. This version ideally should be completely compatible with the entire mod index. That's the target, anyway. In my experience there are always complications that will arise, but so far so good.

You probably won't be able to do this yourself because the work involved in doing that is substantial, but the good news is I'm about halfway finished! (Thank you IntelliJ)

(A side note: The "lite" version will also serve as a placeholder for the eventual task of rebalancing closer to vanilla standards so that this mod's factions can be balanced alongside all the other mod factions. That will obviously take a lot of time, so the pure compatibility placeholder will serve in the meantime. When the balanced version is ready, I'll either remove the lite version and replace it with the balanced pack or keep both and give 3 total options of experience, if there is community interest in that.)

bazalisk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 14, 2020, 03:18:28 PM »

:D  thanks again for the swift reply

this is fantastic to hear!

then i guess i will happily and patiently await these changes,  thank you again for this information, it makes me smile greatly.

i feel there will indeed be a place for all versions within the community, freedom of choice is always happily received :D

i hope you achieve your plans with this, i am enjoying them greatly so far.

thank you.

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 14, 2020, 03:25:25 PM »

I figured out the issue with the Archean Order overrunning the entire sector like Genghis Khan and it has nothing to do with their ships being OP per se, but rather their entire faction being OP.  I noticed then when checking some industry output comparisons on the colony screen and found, to my horror, that Archean Order planets outproduce the rest of the entire sector combined.  Their capitol is a size 12 planet, which I found amusing because the game caps planets at size 10.  There was literally no category of commodity type that the AO did not own all the top five slots in, which is particularly amusing because this included food, despite most of their worlds orbiting a black hole.

And being that all of their worlds come with star fortresses, military bases and orbital foundries, there is basically zero chance for anyone else to actually take one of their worlds without direct player intervention to cripple them first, and even that doesn't do much good because the base defense strength of a size 12 planet - even without any functional ground defenses - is higher than the invasion strength that any other faction could ever hope to muster.

In other words, if Star Sector vanilla factions are like Gas Town, Bullet Farm and the Citadel, then the Achean Order are Clan Jade Falcon.

To emphasize this I started a new map with "Enable Random Core Worlds" turned on and lo & behold, the AO became just as weak as everyone else.  Their fleets actually fail at invasions and their planets actually got captured in return once in a while.  Without an economic base that could churn out five Death Stars before their rivals could build a single TIE Fighter it turns out that they are actually (gasp) fairly & decently balanced against everyone else.

In summary, if anyone is using this mod alongside Nexerlin, I strongly suggest taking the random core worlds option.  Otherwise your campaign will be just watching the entire sector getting gobbled up like a steamroller over a community of ant hills.

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 14, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »

As far as ships go... the AO stock ships aren't OP, but a devious player can make them OP pretty darn easy.  For starters, the first thing I learned was that there's a lot of weapons out there with zero flux, and I soon set out to design my ships around the principle of "flux free living" when it came to weapon selection.  This was also handy when paired with the focusing hullmod that adds 500 range to all beam weapon, because +60% penalty to a flux of zero is still zero.

From there it was just a matter of "how many pulse lasers and phase cannons can I stick on a ship?" and making sure that all my officers took Defense Systems to level 3.  Why that particular skill?  Because at level 3 they can (slowly) dissipate even hard flux with their shields still up.  Since none of my ships were producing any flux of their own, and the zero-flux weapons tended to have a low point cost, this meant that they could tank anything short of a space station with near impunity.

But interestingly enough it wasn't the AO ships that I turned into OP monsters, it was the Adamntine ships.  Specifically, their version of the Eagle with all energy mounts, 360 shields and the haste spell built right in.  I found that if I just covered it in pulse cannon 2s in all the small mounts, then stuck thermal cannons in the mediums and added the weapon range booster, egads, they were unstoppable.  Those weapons might look weapon on paper but when you've got literally a dozen guns all firing at once at double speed they can turn battleships from pristine to scrap metal in under ten seconds.  Even stations could not withstand the onslaught of half a dozen of these things working together and taking turns.

Meanwhile, as for those oversized Hegemony mega-ships... I found a whole new purpose for them and it had nothing to do with guns.  With all those hybrid mounts I realized that the true calling of that giant carrier was to not carry fighters at all (in fact I deliberately avoid using fighters with this mod, because maxing flux vents pays off a lot more - see above).  There's two missile systems here with a range of 10,000 - one hits armor, the other hits shields (and causes EMP).  So I just crammed eight of these things onto there instead and let them hang out all the way in the back, unleashing a steady stream of MIRV pain non-stop.  Get about five of these things kitted out like that and you can take down starbases without ever coming into range of enemy weapons or even their fighters.

And my final act of cheese is this: With enough vents and a good officer, it is possible to kit out phases ships that can stay phased permanently.  In fact, they can actually lose flux while remaining phased.  Needless to say, this turns them into doom-snipers from hell.  This is the one place where I flip my usual policy and go for maximum flux weapons (like Tachyon Cannons).  Move up, fire once at absurd range, watch enemy instantly explode from one volley, then phase out and laugh as the enemy swarms around helplessly and my flux slowly fades away for the next fatal blow.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 14, 2020, 06:50:52 PM »

:D  thanks again for the swift reply

this is fantastic to hear!

then i guess i will happily and patiently await these changes,  thank you again for this information, it makes me smile greatly.

i feel there will indeed be a place for all versions within the community, freedom of choice is always happily received :D

i hope you achieve your plans with this, i am enjoying them greatly so far.

thank you.

:)

I figured out the issue with the Archean Order overrunning the entire sector like Genghis Khan and it has nothing to do with their ships being OP per se, but rather their entire faction being OP.  I noticed then when checking some industry output comparisons on the colony screen and found, to my horror, that Archean Order planets outproduce the rest of the entire sector combined.  Their capitol is a size 12 planet, which I found amusing because the game caps planets at size 10.  There was literally no category of commodity type that the AO did not own all the top five slots in, which is particularly amusing because this included food, despite most of their worlds orbiting a black hole.

And being that all of their worlds come with star fortresses, military bases and orbital foundries, there is basically zero chance for anyone else to actually take one of their worlds without direct player intervention to cripple them first, and even that doesn't do much good because the base defense strength of a size 12 planet - even without any functional ground defenses - is higher than the invasion strength that any other faction could ever hope to muster.

In other words, if Star Sector vanilla factions are like Gas Town, Bullet Farm and the Citadel, then the Achean Order are Clan Jade Falcon.

To emphasize this I started a new map with "Enable Random Core Worlds" turned on and lo & behold, the AO became just as weak as everyone else.  Their fleets actually fail at invasions and their planets actually got captured in return once in a while.  Without an economic base that could churn out five Death Stars before their rivals could build a single TIE Fighter it turns out that they are actually (gasp) fairly & decently balanced against everyone else.

In summary, if anyone is using this mod alongside Nexerlin, I strongly suggest taking the random core worlds option.  Otherwise your campaign will be just watching the entire sector getting gobbled up like a steamroller over a community of ant hills.
As far as ships go... the AO stock ships aren't OP, but a devious player can make them OP pretty darn easy.  For starters, the first thing I learned was that there's a lot of weapons out there with zero flux, and I soon set out to design my ships around the principle of "flux free living" when it came to weapon selection.  This was also handy when paired with the focusing hullmod that adds 500 range to all beam weapon, because +60% penalty to a flux of zero is still zero.

From there it was just a matter of "how many pulse lasers and phase cannons can I stick on a ship?" and making sure that all my officers took Defense Systems to level 3.  Why that particular skill?  Because at level 3 they can (slowly) dissipate even hard flux with their shields still up.  Since none of my ships were producing any flux of their own, and the zero-flux weapons tended to have a low point cost, this meant that they could tank anything short of a space station with near impunity.

But interestingly enough it wasn't the AO ships that I turned into OP monsters, it was the Adamntine ships.  Specifically, their version of the Eagle with all energy mounts, 360 shields and the haste spell built right in.  I found that if I just covered it in pulse cannon 2s in all the small mounts, then stuck thermal cannons in the mediums and added the weapon range booster, egads, they were unstoppable.  Those weapons might look weapon on paper but when you've got literally a dozen guns all firing at once at double speed they can turn battleships from pristine to scrap metal in under ten seconds.  Even stations could not withstand the onslaught of half a dozen of these things working together and taking turns.

Meanwhile, as for those oversized Hegemony mega-ships... I found a whole new purpose for them and it had nothing to do with guns.  With all those hybrid mounts I realized that the true calling of that giant carrier was to not carry fighters at all (in fact I deliberately avoid using fighters with this mod, because maxing flux vents pays off a lot more - see above).  There's two missile systems here with a range of 10,000 - one hits armor, the other hits shields (and causes EMP).  So I just crammed eight of these things onto there instead and let them hang out all the way in the back, unleashing a steady stream of MIRV pain non-stop.  Get about five of these things kitted out like that and you can take down starbases without ever coming into range of enemy weapons or even their fighters.

And my final act of cheese is this: With enough vents and a good officer, it is possible to kit out phases ships that can stay phased permanently.  In fact, they can actually lose flux while remaining phased.  Needless to say, this turns them into doom-snipers from hell.  This is the one place where I flip my usual policy and go for maximum flux weapons (like Tachyon Cannons).  Move up, fire once at absurd range, watch enemy instantly explode from one volley, then phase out and laugh as the enemy swarms around helplessly and my flux slowly fades away for the next fatal blow.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

Thanks for all the detail from your experiences! I especially appreciate your take on missiles vs fighters- on carriers- and how you feel about flux free weapons vs flux causing weapons in different builds- both what makes them seem attractive based upon your hull choices, and your detail as to why you feel that way in each instance. You describe lots of builds across multiple factions- which is awesome!

Did you try strike weapon builds to measure the effectiveness of upfront damage vs continuous damage? In my experience, at least, and I am not claiming to be an expert here- the upfront spike damage is usually worth the cost your ship incurs in flux. This is especially true in the case of damage spike overloads leading to more missile vulnerability.

Most of what I will call "end tier" vessels like what you are describing are meant to feel powerful both in sense of while under AI control and especially powerful in the player's hands. Player powercreep due to officers and skills is already a pretty large factor in and of itself, so it's not really surprising to me that you feel like you can easily beat fleets by those specialized strategies.

The concern I have at the moment is more in line with their availability- (lockdown protocol will serve to do this once derelicts are not an issue and other missions are in place to get these powerful blueprints)- rather than their strength in the players hands. This is partly because I have end game plans that will require powerful tools to overcome. These tools are not meant to encourage a certain faction to be commissioned with, because the idea here is that all factions have powerful tools unlocked by high reputation/commission- and exploration can in rare cases also give you the blueprint for these tools. (As a side note would I will say the Luddic Church could still use some love in that sense. Another good capital, I'd say. Onslaught seems like a good choice, but maybe make it rarer to spawn and more in line with a Dreadnought class... hrm.)

Thanks for the input on industries regarding Nex! It helps to know that in random mode it seems more balanced. The Archean capitol is size 10 and so is the Adamantine Consortium capital. I didn't think you could go above 10 to be honest, so unless Nex allows factions to upgrade levels it should be 10.

Without Nex, this just makes it harder for the player to assault - which was the original intent. I will have to think about ways of potentially balancing out Nex's - non random core worlds' campaigns.

As far as your station concerns go, that is intended. Most factions have been modified to have stations at the majority of their colonies and, unlike core factions, the Archean Order colonies outside their capital system are more heavily spaced out among hostile foes and therefore more easily harassed.

Their colony size may need some adjustments. I was thinking about this anyway to prevent things like the Megalith from occasionally being sold on the open market. (Availability concerns like stated above, etc.)

Anyway, keep the details coming as you play.  :) It helps balance things out better when I have lots of information.

*EDIT*

For some testing while I fix other things, I started a new game on the current version to check out the faction colonies' market share. At least without Nex, I'm not experiencing what you are reporting as far as market domination goes.

Ilyss is size 10 and Lilith is size 9. The Adamantine Consortium seems to dominate market share far more than the Archean Order, and the Hegemony dominates ship production by double that of the Temple of the Dark Stars. The only thing that the Archean Order seems to have a large percent of market share (at 10% to tie with Lilith in first place) is domestic goods and food at 12% market share respectively.

I'll keep my eye on this and add Nex to see how that changes things.

There was literally no category of commodity type that the AO did not own all the top five slots in, which is particularly amusing because this included food, despite most of their worlds orbiting a black hole.

Yeah, I'll have to install Nex and see if this happens. I'm not seeing that otherwise when just running the mod. How far into the campaign were you when this was happening? Food production is probably a little too high for sure. (If you read the description of Ilyss and Xolydunne it kind of describes some details on how they maintain food production.)

Don't get too caught up in realism. Starsector isn't really about that because it would be boring if it was. In that sense you are going to have to take things with a grain of salt as far as that is concerned. There could be lots of valid reasons why this could theoretically be possible with the "right technology"  :)

Spoiler:
Spoiler
No its not old Domain tech. It's something more mysterious. ;)
[close]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:02:17 PM by Morrokain »

Sidestrafe2462

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 15, 2020, 04:08:19 AM »

Just ran a few battles.

This mod is pretty damn awesome. Was satisfied with the ship power scale up to cruisers, so I bought a paragon off the open market, kitted it with spinal atronarch beams, brought it to some fights I should have run from.

On paper the atronarch beam is a strike weapon which does great damage with each strike. The statline doesn't prepare you to see a single paragon with two science corp eagles smash and bash their way through the center of one of those huge pirate fleets with like 12 Atlas IIs. It doesn't prepare you to watch frigates disappear in a wave of explosions as you walk the beam across their bows. It doesn't prepare you to see cruisers and sometimes even cap ships go down in a single blast.

God that's epic. Of course the other weapons (I really like obliterators) pull their weight, but the quad beam of purple death is too much for anything, even bases.

Dosent need a nerf or anything. I still die if I get too trigger happy bc overload, this is just me ranting about how EPIC it looks.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 15, 2020, 04:17:00 PM »

Just ran a few battles.

This mod is pretty damn awesome. Was satisfied with the ship power scale up to cruisers, so I bought a paragon off the open market, kitted it with spinal atronarch beams, brought it to some fights I should have run from.

On paper the atronarch beam is a strike weapon which does great damage with each strike. The statline doesn't prepare you to see a single paragon with two science corp eagles smash and bash their way through the center of one of those huge pirate fleets with like 12 Atlas IIs. It doesn't prepare you to watch frigates disappear in a wave of explosions as you walk the beam across their bows. It doesn't prepare you to see cruisers and sometimes even cap ships go down in a single blast.

God that's epic. Of course the other weapons (I really like obliterators) pull their weight, but the quad beam of purple death is too much for anything, even bases.

Dosent need a nerf or anything. I still die if I get too trigger happy bc overload, this is just me ranting about how EPIC it looks.

Nice I'm glad you like it. :) Thanks for the detail!

-----------
I wanted to take a tiny break from merging behavior changes to attempt to address the industry issues with Nex when not randomized.

Changes as of right now:

--- Campaign Changes:
-------------
    - Revamped most new factions colonies to better follow industry count rules per colony size and size standards within vanilla factions.

--- Colony Changes:
-------------
    - Reduced Archean Order colony size for several colonies.
    - Removed orbital station from Xolydunne so it can be more easily raided.
    - Reduced the resource deposit quality for Ilyss and Arkmaros in some areas.
    - Reduced industry counts on many Adamantine Consortium colonies.
    - Added Luddic Church colony with fuel production and heavy industry.

HopeFall

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 15, 2020, 11:58:49 PM »

Did you do all those profile pictures yourself? I have to admit, they really, really are nice. While I'm generally not using Archean often except for some unique playthroughs, I've totally spent the time to offload those icons into a personal mod. It's like, literally the best portrait back. It's so much better having such diversity!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 125