Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 125

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] TC: Archean Order: Rebalanced Combat/Lore RPG - *hotfix* 4/14/22  (Read 722261 times)

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

Currently I am using Autonomous ships, Autosave, Combat Chatter, Common Radar, Leading Pip, and Upgraded Rotary Weapons (which I have no idea if it does anything here)

I am about to do some testing on that for you, but I can confirm that Combat chatter does NOT cause any crashes or problems at the very least.

Edit: I did some testing, and Combat Chatter works perfectly fine! I have noticed no difference when I use this mod and when I use other mods, so it's definitely safe.

Thanks for the confirmation! Much appreciated!
No problem. The only thing I have noticed through more testing is that there is no random chatter like "Engaging hostiles" or "Could use some help here!". So far they have only been "Overloading", "X% hull left", and stuff like that.

Still extremely useful and all you actually NEED to know, but still worth mentioning considering that is a part of the mod.
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile

No problem. The only thing I have noticed through more testing is that there is no random chatter like "Engaging hostiles" or "Could use some help here!". So far they have only been "Overloading", "X% hull left", and stuff like that.

Still extremely useful and all you actually NEED to know, but still worth mentioning considering that is a part of the mod.

Are you sure that's enabled? I seem to recall some of the stuff being disabled by default. Although its been a while.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

Are you sure that's enabled? I seem to recall some of the stuff being disabled by default. Although its been a while.
I have not messed with it at all, and I get them when I don't have this mod running.

If it's my fault that those are not showing them I take back what I said, but I don't think it is.
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile

I have not messed with it at all, and I get them when I don't have this mod running.

If it's my fault that those are not showing them I take back what I said, but I don't think it is.

I haven't had a ton of time to work on the mod lately, but I am in the process of accumulating the last several batches of feedback into a schedule or at least a priority list. I will include investigating this as a part of that.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Alrighty, so I have an update to current dev progress. As stated before, I've slowed down development a bit, in preparation for a new professional position, but I'm still working on cool things!  :)

Specifically, improving the fleet encounter dialogue mechanics takes a lot of trial and error. The scripts have random components that are supposed to generate a certain subjective "feel" and that can take a while to get right.

I really wanted to make bribes more mainstream if the player wants to avoid a battle, even if heavily outnumbered (or sometimes, specifically in that case). Currently in the available build, bribes only occur when prompted by the enemy commander. This just doesn't feel complete to me, so I am in the process of adding upfront bribes, and increasing the volatility of the results between the various factions.

This, of course, also presents a fair workload in dialogue- faction specific responses, etc. But I think it will feel much more natural and provide some interesting choices for the player in the end.

I've also worked on another small balance pass, and added in previously requested content: new missions, start scenarios and the reintroduction of a peak performance time.

Here's a summary of current progress. Asterisks* indicate W.I.P status:

Content Additions

- *Improved Bribery mechanic: Now also allows for bribery upfront- greatly increases the chances of a successful ceasefire negotiation.

- Can include several increments of bribes(with varying levels of cultual implications per faction) to increases chances of success- the highest bribe almost guarantees success with certain factions.
      - Should the player choose not to bribe upfront and the negotations fail, the player will have a second opportunity to bribe the enemy commander at a higher cost.

- Improved Cease-Fire mechanic: Now can successfully negotiate a ceasefire with Vengeful rep Pirates (was guaranteed to fail before) and new bribery mechanics allow for more controllable, consistent results for the player, should they really want to avoid a battle.

- 2 new missions featuring the Hyperion-class Experimental Frigate as a flagship.

- Added 3 new starting options for new factions- now consolidated with the former two additions under "Advanced Start".

- Consolidated "Normal Start" options (containing the basic start options and separating the destroyer-sized starts more clearly)

Balance Changes

- Peak Performance mechanic implemented back into all vessels. Timers greatly increased for all but phase ships, and ships with High Maintenance from their experimental nature, such as the Sunder, Hyperion etc.

- Safety Overrides' Peak Performance reduction now greatly limits prolonged combat performance as a downside to balance out its benefits. OP to install reduced by 33% as a result. This will also make Pathers less annoying to fight in prolonged engagements where the player doesn't happen to have any pursuit or interdiction vessels.

- Reduced Flux per Salvo of Trebuchet LRM by 33%, missile speed reduced by ~20% (This should make the missile less of an issue when massed and allow it to be more easily added to load-outs. It was also too powerful/useful for its tier and in comarison to the advanced Hunter LRM).

- Nova Cannon damage increased by 25% to compensate for loss of EMP component. It should now properly take its place as a top tier PD option with a secondary assault role.

- Added the Refit Time effect of Damaged Flightdeck to Civgrade Hullmod.

- Op Cost of Operations Center hullmod reduced by 33%.

- Converted Hangar hullmod now increases the number flight decks on existing carriers by +1/+1/+2 on destroyers/cruisers/capitals in addition to its normal effects. This hullmod can now also be installed on existing carriers.

- Significant buffs to Hyperion and now has medium universal hardpoints at each wing. Increased cost and supplies to maintain/deploy.

- Reduced flux use of Phase Teleporter by 15% and increased its range.

- Decreased Tyrant-class Battleship's turn rate by 60%. It was too inaccurate with beams otherwise.

- Liberator Heavy Fighter has had one of its Icer Guns removed, and Limited Range Finders hullmod is now built-in.

- Ion Torpedo projectile hitpoints reduced by 40%.

- Changed starting variant load-out for Medusa.

Bug Fixes

- Fixed description for civilian Star-Liner to include its built-in, yet poorly operating fighter bay.

- Correctly implemented extra damage to weapons/engines from fighters- normalized this stat to 50% extra damage in order to reduce combat layer complexity. Removed EMP component from all small PD weapons.

- *Updated and corrected Tactics Manual to reflect changes since release.

- *Fixed bug with Adamantine Consortium Comm-Relay encounter not taking priority over Tribute requests.

- *Added story text to "The Great Restructuring" mission.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile

Alrighty, so I have an update to current dev progress. As stated before, I've slowed down development a bit, in preparation for a new professional position, but I'm still working on cool things!  :)

Specifically, improving the fleet encounter dialogue mechanics takes a lot of trial and error. The scripts have random components that are supposed to generate a certain subjective "feel" and that can take a while to get right.

I really wanted to make bribes more mainstream if the player wants to avoid a battle, even if heavily outnumbered (or sometimes, specifically in that case). Currently in the available build, bribes only occur when prompted by the enemy commander. This just doesn't feel complete to me, so I am in the process of adding upfront bribes, and increasing the volatility of the results between the various factions.

This, of course, also presents a fair workload in dialogue- faction specific responses, etc. But I think it will feel much more natural and provide some interesting choices for the player in the end.

Yea, I don't do Dialog much, and my ability to "Feel" is really lacking. So I can't really have an opinion there at all.

The Vengeful part of reputation level, I do think that a different approach to reputation might be sane.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9786.0
Old suggestion, and might not be quite correct, but a tiered reputation system might be sane given your intention of an RPG-like system.
Essentially, each level of reputation is harder to get, like vanilla, but much more clear cut. Allied/Vengful specifically would take serious, deliberate effort to obtain, via Quest/Killing capital fleets.

I've also worked on another small balance pass, and added in previously requested content: new missions, start scenarios and the reintroduction of a peak performance time.

Here's a summary of current progress. Asterisks* indicate W.I.P status:

Content Additions

- *Improved Bribery mechanic: Now also allows for bribery upfront- greatly increases the chances of a successful ceasefire negotiation.

- Can include several increments of bribes(with varying levels of cultual implications per faction) to increases chances of success- the highest bribe almost guarantees success with certain factions.
      - Should the player choose not to bribe upfront and the negotations fail, the player will have a second opportunity to bribe the enemy commander at a higher cost.

- Improved Cease-Fire mechanic: Now can successfully negotiate a ceasefire with Vengeful rep Pirates (was guaranteed to fail before) and new bribery mechanics allow for more controllable, consistent results for the player, should they really want to avoid a battle.

No Comment
- 2 new missions featuring the Hyperion-class Experimental Frigate as a flagship.
Yay. Can't wait. Hyperion is always fun :D
- Added 3 new starting options for new factions- now consolidated with the former two additions under "Advanced Start".

- Consolidated "Normal Start" options (containing the basic start options and separating the destroyer-sized starts more clearly)
Well, that could be nice, although I don't start new games often.

Balance Changes

- Peak Performance mechanic implemented back into all vessels. Timers greatly increased for all but phase ships, and ships with High Maintenance from their experimental nature, such as the Sunder, Hyperion etc.

- Safety Overrides' Peak Performance reduction now greatly limits prolonged combat performance as a downside to balance out its benefits. OP to install reduced by 33% as a result. This will also make Pathers less annoying to fight in prolonged engagements where the player doesn't happen to have any pursuit or interdiction vessels.
Good. Make sure tooltips on those hullmods explain exactly why they cut the PP so much.
- Reduced Flux per Salvo of Trebuchet LRM by 33%, missile speed reduced by ~20% (This should make the missile less of an issue when massed and allow it to be more easily added to load-outs. It was also too powerful/useful for its tier and in comarison to the advanced Hunter LRM).
Could make it more usable. Flux costs on those hurt, xd. Those Low-tier LR missiles, honestly, I could go for them having that kind of change overall, maybe except for the single Hunter varient (which is powerful for it's size)
- Nova Cannon damage increased by 25% to compensate for loss of EMP component. It should now properly take its place as a top tier PD option with a secondary assault role.
Hmm. I missed Nova cannon losing EMP damage. What does EMP damage do to missiles anyway? If anything at all?
- Added the Refit Time effect of Damaged Flightdeck to Civgrade Hullmod.

Sensible enough. Hmm..

As an idea, let Civ Hullmod be removed somehow, similar to removing D-Mods (but seperate). Make sure Civ has an upside, like +Fuel eco or -Maintenance, in addition to the downsides if that is the case.
- Op Cost of Operations Center hullmod reduced by 33%.
That makes it way more usable.
- Converted Hangar hullmod now increases the number flight decks on existing carriers by +1/+1/+2 on destroyers/cruisers/capitals in addition to its normal effects. This hullmod can now also be installed on existing carriers.

- Significant buffs to Hyperion and now has medium universal hardpoints at each wing. Increased cost and supplies to maintain/deploy.
Oh, so you downgunned it before, and made it medium again? And isn't it's Maintance harsh enough? :p
Would prefer a lower cooldown personally, or maybe a 3-charge system with cooldown on recharge.
- Decreased Tyrant-class Battleship's turn rate by 60%. It was too inaccurate with beams otherwise.

- Liberator Heavy Fighter has had one of its Icer Guns removed, and Limited Range Finders hullmod is now built-in.

- Ion Torpedo projectile hitpoints reduced by 40%.

- Changed starting variant load-out for Medusa.

No Comments

Bug Fixes

- Fixed description for civilian Star-Liner to include its built-in, yet poorly operating fighter bay.
Heh, awesome
- Correctly implemented extra damage to weapons/engines from fighters- normalized this stat to 50% extra damage in order to reduce combat layer complexity. Removed EMP component from all small PD weapons.
Hmm. What effect does removing EMP do anyway?
- *Updated and corrected Tactics Manual to reflect changes since release.
Is that deployed on the front page? Want to READ!
- *Fixed bug with Adamantine Consortium Comm-Relay encounter not taking priority over Tribute requests.

- *Added story text to "The Great Restructuring" mission.
No Comment, yet.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

Hmm. What effect does removing EMP do anyway?
EMP against Missiles will cause them to flame out. They can still detonate, but they can't maneuver...Best used against missiles that actually have the ability to turn.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:21:50 PM by A Random Jolteon »
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The Vengeful part of reputation level, I do think that a different approach to reputation might be sane.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9786.0
Old suggestion, and might not be quite correct, but a tiered reputation system might be sane given your intention of an RPG-like system.
Essentially, each level of reputation is harder to get, like vanilla, but much more clear cut. Allied/Vengful specifically would take serious, deliberate effort to obtain, via Quest/Killing capital fleets.

I took a look at this, and yes I have something... well, similar, in mind when the time comes. I don't know about just a timer decay, but there will be ways that you can lose reputation besides smuggling and betraying friendly fleets.

Hmm. I missed Nova cannon losing EMP damage. What does EMP damage do to missiles anyway? If anything at all?

This is just since the fighter systems hullmod now makes all fighter weapons deal extra damage to weapons and engines, so it wasn't necessary anymore. Since that nerfs its assault role for ship (its emp component actually played a larger role there) I increased its damage and made it more specialized as a superior pd weapon over the electron cannon.

Oh, so you downgunned it before, and made it medium again? And isn't it's Maintance harsh enough? :p

No, it was just only missile weapons before, so I mostly just made it more flexible. I also made its shields at a cruiser level, and its now the fastest frigate by a large margin. The extra maintenance is necessary, trust me.  ;)

Is that deployed on the front page? Want to READ!

Not yet, when this update is finished and live the changes will be visible there as well. I'm actually focusing on those the second I'm finished with the Rules.csv entries for the bribery mechanics. Already finished the rule command script for it and it's best to do all that while the memory of all the variable names is fresh.

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

Please snip the quote down to the part you are replying to.
Sorry, got distracted IRL and forgot to do that.  :-\
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Dal

• Commander
    • View Profile

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is the author's philosophy on having the features and content aspects of this mod separate? I've now played several hours of the mod, and I enjoy its features, but between using it and playing the base game and all its addons, vanilla and other mods win out. I would love to include this mod's campaign features alongside the version of the game that I play. Not to mention Nexerelin... :)

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is the author's philosophy on having the features and content aspects of this mod separate? I've now played several hours of the mod, and I enjoy its features, but between using it and playing the base game and all its addons, vanilla and other mods win out. I would love to include this mod's campaign features alongside the version of the game that I play. Not to mention Nexerelin... :)

Combat wise, Unless things have changed, there is no easy way, short of manually modifying every single ship and weapon in another mod, to have another mod work with this one. There needs to be a script that allows you to integrate arbitrary weapons and Ships, and modify them via script. Otherwise, the whole thing requires you to manually integrate them.

If you mean the campaign layer, I have no idea :D

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

TBH, I'd be able to play this mod forever if Nex was compatible. As of now, I end up needing breaks because I am use to the weapon ship and style variety that comes from having multiple mods, and the stuff that Nex provides.
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Hey thanks for trying out the mod and I can understand what you mean, haha. It's pretty hard to surpass the collective mastery and efforts of the mod community as one person working on a TC, but hopefully over time and updates that gap will lessen and become less noticeable as more mechanics and extra content is added in. I have no illusion that a TC is quite hard to maintain and keep competitive alongside all the faction, quality of life and utility mods, though!

If Histidine doesn't mind, in the future I will look into adding Nex-like features into this TC. Similarly, my scripts are all open source, and if someone wants to use my campaign features I have no problems with that. I've had a constructive conversation with Alex in the past about including some of the fleet dialogue/request features in Vanilla. He likes the system, but is holding off until the core features are done (roof last, and all that) and then will, perhaps, investigate something similar.

On my ToDo list there is "Making Tutorials on Rules.csv and advanced scripting" which will hopefully help modders better able to understand how I do things.

On keeping the two layers separate, I had originally hoped to do just that. Depending on what you mean by campaign layer, however, it is very difficult to separate the two. It would require me to build and maintain an additional mod of just campaign features (there isn't a way to make the new mod compatible with the TC, I would just have to do double work, so to speak), and then make it Nex compatible. That would probably be beyond my time scope, and .9 may make some of those features redundant.

That being said, if you have time, do you mind breaking it down for me a little? When you say campaign features do you mean everything- the factions, strongholds, and new dialogue options? What, specifically, about the  stuff in other mods wins out? More variety, stronger design principles, etc? Anything I can do to improve your experience? That sort of thing.  :)

TBH, I'd be able to play this mod forever if Nex was compatible. As of now, I end up needing breaks because I am use to the weapon ship and style variety that comes from having multiple mods, and the stuff that Nex provides.

Thanks and noted! :) I definitely don't plan on stopping content additions at the moment (Got a couple ideas for some new frigates as we speak type). Also, if anyone is interested, I can give details on faction conversion for the mod. That way other modders' factions can be included if they wish.

Would prefer a lower cooldown personally, or maybe a 3-charge system with cooldown on recharge.

Almost forgot to say that I am thinking this will end up being the case. It's simply more fun to manage charges over just a cooldown.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:02:13 AM by Morrokain »

Dal

• Commander
    • View Profile

That being said, if you have time, do you mind breaking it down for me a little?

Sure, let me expand a bit. When I said content I meant to refer to the new things (ships, factions, stat changes), when I said features I meant new actions (bribing, intimidating, etc). The big draw your mod has over others is in characterization. You've got lots of flavor in your lore, lots of consistency in your ships, and lots of interaction with your characters. These, and in particular the last one, are very hard to find in regular Starsector. There's obviously only so much you can change outside of a TC, but I still long for a middle ground where you could bribe and extort other fleets and so forth in the base game (only using more generic dialog out of necessity).

Unfortunately it goes both ways; you've clearly put a lot of thought into your work, and it's really distinct... but it's really distinct. I don't have any major suggestions for you because you seem to be following a vision of the game very closely and very well. There are little things, like how Archean ships are in a whole different class of speed compared to everything else, but that's barely a blip.

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

It's pretty hard to surpass the collective mastery and efforts of the mod community as one person working on a TC

If Histidine doesn't mind, in the future I will look into adding Nex-like features into this TC
Considering how you are one person, I think you are 80-90% matched in the awesomeness.

As for Nex: The only thing I think would be a problem is the Asgard Station. Even then, it's just the weapons that are the problem...Although it wou-I am going to stop there so I don't ramble on possibilities.

Either way, I don't think Nex would be hard to make compatible. Not like you are trying to get Blackrock or Dassault-Mikoyan compatible. Nex doesn't add weapons or ships.
Hi. I exist. Bye.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 125