Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 125

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] TC: Archean Order: Rebalanced Combat/Lore RPG - *hotfix* 4/14/22  (Read 722419 times)

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile

@Medium Weapons
Its more that I keep expecting to find medium weapon slots on ships that have them in vanilla and they don't, than it is hard to find them.
More because I couldn't find support/strike weapons for the no-shield, small slot only ships, and hence flux did nothing.

-----
Unfortunately, I am currently busy playing Warframe, so I have been entirely sidetracked. Stupid addicting video games.
-----

Hmm. Does the normal PD AI hull mod actually do anything useful here? I've never found it useful. Does this mod make it effective in more cases?
Might actually make it into a mod that goes, "Laser PD will also attack fighters, -50% damage" or something.

Not really sure though. I just seriously have trouble with High-grade PD not PD-ing. XD.
And I have said that many times.
-----

Anyhow, will probably get back to playtesting/playing eventually.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

Haven't been playing Starsector for the past few days, but I have been randomly coming back here. I suggest a hullmod that makes using the engage order for fighters generates no flux, but bringing up shields generates flux like normal...normal for this mod anyway.

Also, a comment about the Wolf: I do remember what hullmods I had and what weapons I had, but putting 3 vents (I think) ended up with me not losing or gaining flux. Not sure if this was intended or not, but I can see it becoming annoying as you won't be able to fire weapons, take any amount of fire, and keep shields up for long. I'd prefer to have a little soft flux dissipation when I am not firing my weapons. :/
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile

@Medium Weapons
Its more that I keep expecting to find medium weapon slots on ships that have them in vanilla and they don't, than it is hard to find them.
More because I couldn't find support/strike weapons for the no-shield, small slot only ships, and hence flux did nothing.

Hmm. Does the normal PD AI hull mod actually do anything useful here? I've never found it useful. Does this mod make it effective in more cases?
Might actually make it into a mod that goes, "Laser PD will also attack fighters, -50% damage" or something.

Not really sure though. I just seriously have trouble with High-grade PD not PD-ing. XD.
And I have said that many times.

I see what you mean. Hopefully solving the second problem will noticably soften the effects of the first.

PD AI hullmod is pretty decent when combined with weapons like Mass Drivers or Pulse Cannons. These weapons have longer range than most PD weapons, but are still pretty accurate. They offer a "first screen of defense" to take out leading missiles in larger clusters or do a bit of upfront damage to tougher things like torpedoes. PD then mops anything that gets through the first screen. The trade-off, besides the OP cost, is a slight reduction to Ship - to - Ship combat capabilities.

No worries on the high tier PD, it will operate better soon!  :)

Haven't been playing Starsector for the past few days, but I have been randomly coming back here. I suggest a hullmod that makes using the engage order for fighters generates no flux, but bringing up shields generates flux like normal...normal for this mod anyway.

Also, a comment about the Wolf: I do remember what hullmods I had and what weapons I had, but putting 3 vents (I think) ended up with me not losing or gaining flux. Not sure if this was intended or not, but I can see it becoming annoying as you won't be able to fire weapons, take any amount of fire, and keep shields up for long. I'd prefer to have a little soft flux dissipation when I am not firing my weapons. :/

No worries on not getting a chance to play, just let it come natural if it sounds fun.  :)

On Wolf, if you get a moment, can you describe the situation you were in that frustrated you a little more? Do you mean you had a specific custom build that didn't have soft flux at all, and wish it did? Or just think soft flux is too absent as a whole?

This could play into the issue with Stabilized Shields a bit. Ships with it are just so much better at using Strike/Support weapons, and it is far more efficient in terms of OP than Vents. So maybe, to counterbalance a reduction in how much that hullmod reduces raised shield flux, most vessels can get ~10-15 base soft flux?

On Engage Fighters:

Working on a couple possible solutions to this. I'll give more info when I've narrowed down the one I'm going with.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:24:31 AM by Morrokain »

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

How easy would it be to remove the flux generation of the "Engage Fighters" command?

Basically impossible, it's hardcoded.

Ah ok that's what I suspected. Thanks!  :)

Well, that's one solution out of the window. Now to see about a hullmod.

EDIT**

Also, forgot about this:

It took me a while to figure out why my shields deactivated when I used accelerated Ammo feed. Not sure if vanilla or not, but yea....
Don't suppose that can also make Ballistic weapons charge faster? I suppose its feeding into the weapon instead of into the clips, but still.

I originally wanted to make that system regen charges faster, but forgot that you can't. Regen for clips cannot currently be modified in the API. Its hard-coded after the weapons file entry. So that even means things like systems cannot touch that stat.

For that system dropping shields, that's it's trade-off (besides charges) since it doesn't generate flux and increases damage output significantly. It's also almost always on heavily armored vessels. As a side note, I also made it do this so the AI doesn't use it and waste the active timer shielding too early (therefore slowing down enough to not be able to close the distance in time to really get any extra damage in).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:43:03 AM by Morrokain »

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Ok, this is a list of currently changed or planned stuff for the next update. May add other things- depending.

Next Patch Changes: Very Rough ETA: 1/20 - 1/30

Content Additions
  • Archean Order and Adamantine Consortium have new systems near the Core Worlds containing their respective capitals and main strongholds.
  • 3 New low tier energy strike/fire support weapons.
  • 3 New low tier ballistic strike/fire support weapons.
  • 1 New high tier missile strike weapon.
  • 2 New low tech frigates with medium energy mounts found easily early on.
  • 1 New mid tech destroyer with medium composite mounts in Lions Guard and Trader Guilds patrols/markets.
  • New hullmod - Priority Beam Defense AI - Makes all PD Burst Beams only target missiles.

Balance Changes
  • The Conquest and Falcon now have Maneuvering Jets as their ship system (was Deploy Reserve Fighters).
  • Deploy Reserve Fighters and Targeting Feed ship systems no longer generate flux on use. Instead, they start with 3 charges, gaining one charge greatly exceeds the system's cooldown.
  • Burst PD Laser and Heavy Burst PD Laser now auto-target fighters and ships as well as missiles. To balance this change, both weapons have had their charge regeneration reduced (burst damage is the same).
  • Guardian PD System now targets fighters and ships as well as missiles. To balance this change, the weapon has been converted to a charge-based weapon (with 8 charges) and reduced burst damage by 20 percent.
  • Increased the accuracy of the Artillery Cannon by ~20 percent.
  • Reduced effectiveness on Flux of built-in faction systems by ~33 percent.

Bug Fixes and Design Improvements
  • Fixed a few variants with errors.
  • Added a few variants with new weapons configurations and rebalanced previous ones using them to operate more effectively, where necessary.
  • Updated tooltips of several weapons (Ie. Mining Laser, Mining Blaster, Guardian PD System) to better describe their function and power.
  • Updated tooltips of fighters to better describe their roles and strengths at a glance.
  • Corrected a few more typos and awkward language in descriptions - mostly campaign related entities.
  • Added regen back in for the Atropos Torpedo(Single). Dagger Bomber now has a custom built-in version without regen.
  • All vessels now gain the "0-Flux Boost" until 5% flux. Changing Tier 3 Helmsmanship to allow up to 35% flux before boost cuts off.

**EDIT**

Made the hullmod and early tests indicate it does solve the "Engage Fighters Problem." without sacrificing the combat mechanics too much. This also means raising shields no longer slows down a ship. They must take a few significant hits to be slowed - or use a strike/support weapon.

I'll see how this shakes up as I continue to test things, but I will say it is a lot more fun to be able to pick targets for my fighters without having to sacrifice my mobility. I think this will end up being a very good thing for the mod overall.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:04:28 PM by Morrokain »

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile

The various "Systems" hullmods for converted ships are a bit too strong. The "Simple Core Systems" hullmod on the hegemony wolf makes it shields far worse than any low tech clunker, which is a bit odd. Similarly, the "Updated Core Systems" hullmod gives ships shields better than any high tech ships.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The various "Systems" hullmods for converted ships are a bit too strong. The "Simple Core Systems" hullmod on the hegemony wolf makes it shields far worse than any low tech clunker, which is a bit odd. Similarly, the "Updated Core Systems" hullmod gives ships shields better than any high tech ships.

Thanks! I'll see about adjusting them.

Shimrodt

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi there! first of all, i must say i love your mod very much, thank you for bringing us such a new (and wonderful!) take on starsector.

There are 2 things i have noted about the mod that i would like to know whether they are intentional or not (only 2 for now because i am still early in my campaign).

The first is the cargo capacity on the Hermes class shuttle is at 250, for only 1supply/month. Is it normal? This seems like an enormous upgrade in terms of cargo capacity compared to all other freighter available in early game (Hound/Cerberus/Wayfarer), as those are around 100-150 cargo for around 3supplies/month.

The second is the description for the D-mod Faulty Power Grid reads "flux capacity and flux dissipation rate reduced by ONE THIRD". Does this mean the rank 3 of safety procedures doesn't reduce by 50% the negative effects of that D-mod like the others? (from what i could see on some of my ships, it didn't, but i'd like to know whether it is working as intended or not).

Thank you for your time, and once again, thank you for a wonderful mod.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Hi there! first of all, i must say i love your mod very much, thank you for bringing us such a new (and wonderful!) take on starsector.

There are 2 things i have noted about the mod that i would like to know whether they are intentional or not (only 2 for now because i am still early in my campaign).

The first is the cargo capacity on the Hermes class shuttle is at 250, for only 1supply/month. Is it normal? This seems like an enormous upgrade in terms of cargo capacity compared to all other freighter available in early game (Hound/Cerberus/Wayfarer), as those are around 100-150 cargo for around 3supplies/month.

The second is the description for the D-mod Faulty Power Grid reads "flux capacity and flux dissipation rate reduced by ONE THIRD". Does this mean the rank 3 of safety procedures doesn't reduce by 50% the negative effects of that D-mod like the others? (from what i could see on some of my ships, it didn't, but i'd like to know whether it is working as intended or not).

Thank you for your time, and once again, thank you for a wonderful mod.

Firstly, thank you very much for the kind words and feedback and welcome to the forums!  :)

Your questions:

- On the Hermes, to be honest I wanted to give the player a reason to buy the ship. I might have tuned it a bit too high though. Re-evaluating.

My thought process: Since, as a high level trader you are concerned with cargo space over supplies per month, this freighter would probably not be ideal (considering the max ship cap) compared to the larger freighters like Tarsus and Buffalo. As a frigate wolfpack commander wanting to keep a fast, bounty hunting fleet, however, the burn speed is still nice for so little maintenance and decent cargo space to store loot compared to the faster Mercury. The Hound, Cerberus and Wayfarer, on the other hand, are combat freighters. They sacrifice much (but not all- if you look at dedicated combat vessels) of their utility to have combat capabilities closer to light frigates.

- I'm not sure on "safety procedures" rank 3. I'll check for this, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

AuzzieOprix

• Ensign
    • View Profile

No matter what i do/Have done i can't seem to start a new game past the "Skip/Play tutorial" options as both are grey and cannot be selected :(
I've tried just the 3 base mods and other assortments but nothing helps.
Please assist ;-; :'( 

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

No matter what i do/Have done i can't seem to start a new game past the "Skip/Play tutorial" options as both are grey and cannot be selected :(
I've tried just the 3 base mods and other assortments but nothing helps.
Please assist ;-; :'(  
Ah, I think this is a bug! Very sorry!

Question: Have you played the base game's tutorial? If not, this is the most likely reason. If you un-select the mod and play the standard tutorial first, then re-activate the mod it should solve that issue.

Completely forgot to uncheck that in the Rules. I'll go ahead and release something tonight or tomorrow- ahead of schedule so no new ships or weapons, but it should solve that bug for new players and add a few quality of life improvements, bugfixes and added descriptions for the new faction's colonies.

**EDIT** Wait, 3 base mods? Are you using LazyLib and EZFaction? Those mods are no longer required to play the current version. Well, you can still use them, but you may get errors if any exist in those mods or if they for some reason clash with mine. They probably wouldn't, but I can't completely know for sure. Try just the Archean Order mod if the above advice does not work. Just corrected the error, if that's what it is, and will release a new version soon.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:57:36 PM by Morrokain »

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile

I had the same issue. You just need to start one unmodded game to fix it.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Current Patch Changes: Update v1.1a 1/18/2018
Spoiler
Content Additions
  • New hullmod - Priority Beam Defense AI - Makes all PD Burst Beams only target missiles.

Balance Changes
  • The Conquest and Falcon now have Maneuvering Jets as their ship system (was Deploy Reserve Fighters).
  • Deploy Reserve Fighters and Targeting Feed ship systems no longer generate flux on use. Instead, they start with 3 charges, gaining one charge greatly exceeds the system's cooldown.
  • Burst PD Laser and Heavy Burst PD Laser now auto-target fighters and ships as well as missiles. To balance this change, both weapons have had their charge regeneration reduced (burst damage is the same).
  • Guardian PD System now targets fighters and ships as well as missiles. To balance this change, the weapon has been converted to a charge-based weapon (with 8 charges) and reduced burst damage by 20 percent.
  • Increased the accuracy of the Artillery Cannon by ~20 percent.
  • Reduced effectiveness on Flux of built-in faction systems by ~33 percent.
  • Trebuchet LRM is now tier 0.
  • Rapier SRM is now tier 1. Rarity reduced.
  • Light Mortar Cannon is now tier 0.
  • Rarity of Maelstrom LRM reduced slightly.

Bug Fixes and Design Improvements
  • Fixed a few variants with errors.
  • Added a few variants with new weapons configurations and rebalanced previous ones using them to operate more effectively, where necessary.
  • Updated tooltips of several weapons (Ie. Mining Laser, Mining Blaster, Guardian PD System) to better describe their function and power.
  • Updated tooltips of fighters to better describe their roles and strengths at a glance.
  • Corrected a few more typos and awkward language in descriptions - mostly campaign related entities.
  • Added regen back in for the Atropos Torpedo(Single). Dagger Bomber now has a custom built-in version without regen.
  • All vessels now gain the "0-Flux Boost" until 5% flux. Changing Tier 3 Helmsmanship to allow up to 35% flux before boost cuts off.
  • Hermes cargo capacity reduced to be more in line with other freighters.
  • Hornet SRM is now renamed to Vespid SRM (id is same for modders).
  • Added new descriptions to some key faction colonies to better improve immersion.
  • Reduced the rarity of a couple flux- weapons.
[close]

Ok it's updating now. I'd give it ~ an hr or so before attempting a download.  ;)

EDIT - Forgot to add those things.

EDIT2 - Further forgotten changes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:40:25 PM by Morrokain »

AuzzieOprix

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I had the same issue. You just need to start one unmodded game to fix it.
Far out thank you :D

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Hotfix**

Quickly fixed a couple things after a bit of further testing.

- Railguns (Light, Dual and Heavy) now generate a small amount of flux to compensate for their range with the new flux changes.

- Fighters have description shortcuts as intended. (Wasn't showing up before)

Shouldn't break saves.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 125