Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] High Tech Expansion v1.2.0  (Read 17963 times)

theDragn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] High Tech Expansion v1.1.3
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2021, 11:29:13 AM »

Can you please use more clearer sprite for "tigership"? The one, like this one: https://imgur.com/BxA9wa4 or, I belive, original one from Spiral Arms II

I didn't make any changes to the sprite beyond some color correction to make the greenish blue bits on the back match up with the rest of the ship. Though I think that made it a little bit darker, so I've lightened it up a bit. I've put it into the current release (no version number change, but if you redownload you'll get the updated sprite.)

I think you should change these to ' Plasma ' projectiles instead of Beam. There aren't enough Plasma weapons in vanilla to begin with. It would fill a niche in the weapon selection.

I fiddled around with that, but it made the projectiles look a little too dangerous in my opinion. The gun doesn't hit much harder than an HVD or heavy mauler, after all. I also felt a bit oversaturated on plasma-type projectiles— all the Tawa-class torpedoes have plasma bolts, as does the Plasma Lens Projector.

Ninja Update (no version number change)
- Gila nerfs, because I forgot to do that and someone on discord reminded me by complaining about it
- Tigershark sprite lightened up a bit

IonDragonX

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2021, 12:14:38 PM »

... it made the projectiles look a little too dangerous in my opinion. The gun doesn't hit much harder than an HVD or heavy mauler, after all. I also felt a bit oversaturated on plasma-type projectiles— all the Tawa-class torpedoes have plasma bolts, as does the Plasma Lens Projector
Could the collision class be changed to Plasma, at least?
Funny how much stuff you can get done while waiting for the update...
http://i.imgur.com/Ucj922u.gif

theDragn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2021, 01:55:22 AM »

Could the collision class be changed to Plasma, at least?

You mean the thing where plasma shots will just punch through anything with low enough health (particularly fighters) and keep going? I think that's due to the projectile class of the plasma cannon, not the collision class, since the plasma cannon has the same collision class as any ballistic weapon.
That said, it shouldn't punch through things like the plasma cannon does. The Toroidal Plasma Railgun is intended to be an energy HVD/Mauler; more of a support weapon than primary DPS. Losing shots to stray fighters getting in the way is an intended downside— if you want the effects of a plasma cannon, use a plasma cannon.

Outlander

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2021, 01:01:23 PM »

Just something I noticed. If you already knew/don't really care let me know and I'll delete this post.

theDragn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] High Tech Expansion v1.1.4
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2021, 12:50:08 PM »

Bumping thread for 1.1.4 update.

Patch Notes:
- New weapon: Light Arc Emitter (small energy, 6 OP), Arc Emitter (medium energy, 11 OP), and Heavy Arc Emitter (large energy, 28 OP). They fire arcs at random hostile targets within a 120 degree cone, dealing decent energy and EMP damage with a relatively low firerate. The medium emitter has a chance to create a secondary chain, and the large has a chance to create multiple chains that increases as long as it's firing. The small and medium are in the hightech blueprint package, the large is rare and known by Tritachyon and Remnants.
- Remnant fleets should now occasionally use the Plasma Lens Projector, Nyx Atropos Salvo, and Tawa Standoff Torpedo Battery.

Also updated the original post to show off all the ships and weapons. Please let me know if you find any typos or errors.

theDragn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] High Tech Expansion v1.1.5
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2021, 11:34:02 PM »

Edit: Fixed the Scarab (IV) having a stupid high spawn rate. No version number change.

Yet another update. Save compatible.

A few small new things, but otherwise just some fixes and small balance changes.

New:
- Scarab (IV). Two energy mounts replaced with universals, in addition to the IV hullmod. It's *very* good, but good luck finding one.
- Fourth Battlegroup Blueprint Package. Much rarer than other blueprint packages; you have about a 50% chance of finding one in a vanilla game with no other mods if you visit every blueprint drop source, and a much worse chance of finding it in a heavily-modded game.
- Fourteenth Battlegroup Blueprint Package. Same rarity as the Fourth Battlegroup package.

Changes:
- Fixed some descriptions being long as *** in certain contexts.
- Aphelion: Added a rear turret slot to match up with the sprite. Adjusted turret arcs. Reduced OP by 5. Omni shield converted to front shield. Variants adjusted.
- Gila: Shield arc increased (110->120). Previous nerf was a little bit heavy-handed; now you can reasonably choose between stabilized and extended shields.
- Kingfisher: Sprite adjusted to match turret arcs and directions.
- Peregrine: Adjusted turret arcs. This is a buff.
- Khanjali: Shield HP increased (425->500). Plasma Catapult damage increased (250->350), mag size decreased (4->3), and it now reloads one projectile every 3 seconds, instead of the entire mag every 10 seconds.
- Heavy Arc Emitter: Decreased ramp time (10s->6s) and increased the time needed for the ramp to fully decay (3.3s->4s).
- Plasma Lens Projector: Improved visual effects a little bit.
- Toroidal Plasma Railguns: Now create a small secondary explosion when hitting armor, and have improved visual effects on impact. Sprites adjusted so that the barrels don't look quite as flat.
- Tawa torpedoes: Removed friendly-fire on secondary projectiles. The AI would occasionally try to fire them through allied ships, which would die when the torpedoes split inside of them.
- Reduced the rarity of several weapons. They're still in the same blueprint categories, but some of the rarer ones should show up more often in markets.
- Added 10 simulation opponents.
- Added two variants for [REDACTED]. I hope you haven't been relying on swarms of unshielded fighters.
- Reduced cost multiplier for IV variants (1.75->1.6). Lorewise, IV hulls are in active (though extremely limited) production around the sector, so they shouldn't be quite as expensive as XIV stuff.
- Adjusted some weapon descriptions to account for numerical reality.
- Actually remembered to update the version number this time.
- Added one new loading tip. Do you like focaccia bread?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 03:30:43 PM by theDragn »

Frosterus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] High Tech Expansion v1.1.5
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2021, 07:12:07 PM »

Thanks for the update. I'm just going to assume it's save compatible, and we'll see how it goes.

theDragn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] High Tech Expansion v1.2.0
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2021, 01:44:41 PM »

Pushed out 1.2.0 update. It's not save compatible, so please don't update it until you're ready to start a new game.

New:
- High-Value Bounty, including a unique flagship. Requires Vayra's Sector to spawn.
- Two new variants of existing ships. They only show up as flagships for random bounties, so they're quite rare (and quite powerful). Requires Vayra's Sector to spawn.
- Kaskara Assault Fighter Wing. Carries a close-range High Intensity Laser that fires in short bursts. It excels against isolated targets, but is quite fragile due to its small shield arc. Two per wing, at a price of 17 OP. Included in the high-tech blueprint package.

Changes:
- All Arc Emitters: General nerfs, mostly to fire rate. No longer arc to phased ships. No longer reset chargedown or refund flux if they don't produce an arc when firing (this was a 'hidden' stat due to some AI shenanigans, which have been resolved.) Secondary chain range scaling adjusted. Formula is now (((total_range_after_modifiers / base_range) - 1) * 0.5) + 1) * base_chain_range. Basically, weapon range adjustments apply at half effectiveness to chain range.
- Light Arc Emitter: Firing speed decreased (1.75->2.5) and charge time increased substantially. Flux ratio increased (1.5->2.0).
- Arc Emitter: Firing speed decreased (1->1.75) and charge time increased substantially.  EMP damage reduced (100->50). Flux ratio increased (1.5->2.0). Base secondary chain range reduced (250->200).
- Heavy Arc Emitter: Firing speed decreased (0.4->0.6), damage reduced (125->100), EMP damage reduced (100->50), and flux ratio increased (1.8->3.0). Now starts ramping down if it didn't produce an arc the last time it fired. Base secondary chain range reduced (300->250).
- Spire: Deployment and supply cost increased (50->55), and maximum burn reduced (8->7).

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2021, 06:17:48 PM »

Dang, were the Arc Emitters THAT good? I didn't get to mess with them much.

theDragn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2021, 08:11:56 PM »

Dang, were the Arc Emitters THAT good? I didn't get to mess with them much.

There were a couple of factors that, when combined, made them incredibly strong that I didn't pick up in testing.

First, Arc Emitters have a lot less wasted damage than PD lasers and Burst PD (wasted damage being any firing time directed at a missile that will still hit the ship) since their random targeting makes them less likely to focus the closest missile like other PD weapons do. Focusing the closest missile makes sense, but when there are multiple missiles in a salvo and PD can't kill individual missiles fast enough, they'll start uselessly shooting at the closest missile, despite the fact that they'll never kill it in time. This is why even a ton of PD lasers don't reliably intercept large salvos of missiles- they get swamped, keep uselessly shooting the closest thing, and the rest of the missiles hit. Arc Emitters bypassing this restriction was (and still is) intended, they'll always be the best option for nullifying at least some of the incoming damage. Also, the instant arc means that they don't have to deal with beam velocity or turret rotation, which makes them more effective than they seem from stats alone.

Second, they fire in a very wide arc, which makes most ships able to achieve greater PD density than they're generally designed for. This, again, is intended; they were (supposed to be) individually less effective than Burst PD lasers, and only became competitive when using multiple emitters with overlapping arcs.

Those two things together made Arc Emitters a really good choice for normal PD, but they didn't seem to be too strong- in testing, if I swapped out all my PD for Arc Emitters, they intercepted similar numbers of missiles per salvo as Burst PDs did. My first error was there, since Burst PD is a mag-fed weapon and should be more effective than Arc Emitters while it still has ammo; the numbers were just a bit too good. Secondly, they simply did too much EMP damage, since they could flame out most fighters in a single hit. What I missed was that it was relatively easy to achieve a critical mass of Arc Emitters- after a certain point, they'd just instantly zap anything that got into range, and they'd never get overwhelmed with targets at close range since they don't have to rotate.

The fix for this was to just gimp the *** out of their stats. The new long charging times (1.25 seconds, on the small and medium) are basically adding back in the time saved by having an instant-hit, non-rotating turret (unlike other PD weapons, they now have difficulty intercepting the first shot in a salvo since they take so long to charge), and the slower firing speed means that they don't have better DPS than the plain PD laser. (Reducing DPS also reduces the benefits gained from being able to overlap firing arcs that normally wouldn't converge.) There are still a ton of advantages- it's a PD weapon that works in a hardpoint, can fire on targets outside of its rotation arc, and does unavoidable hard flux and EMP damage.

Hopefully this puts them in a more reasonable state. They're definitely still usable and good, but they're no longer the optimal choice for point defense.

Frosterus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2021, 10:10:31 PM »

When I outfit my ships, I design almost entirely around ordnance and flux costs and the ship's capacity for them. I currently skip (or rarely use) quite a few vanilla/mod weapons since they're not feasible to run on certain ships compared to lower cost weapons.
Obviously, balancing is needed or you would just choose the "best" weapons all the time. But I already didn't use light arc emitters too often since they cost 6 ordnance points, so hopefully these nerfs don't throw them into garbage bin for me.

Thanks for the update. Does Vayra's Sector play nice with Nex?

theDragn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2021, 11:31:25 PM »

When I outfit my ships, I design almost entirely around ordnance and flux costs and the ship's capacity for them. I currently skip (or rarely use) quite a few vanilla/mod weapons since they're not feasible to run on certain ships compared to lower cost weapons.
Obviously, balancing is needed or you would just choose the "best" weapons all the time. But I already didn't use light arc emitters too often since they cost 6 ordnance points, so hopefully these nerfs don't throw them into garbage bin for me.

Thanks for the update. Does Vayra's Sector play nice with Nex?

Yes, Vayra's Sector works perfectly fine with Nex.

In regards to your fitting method... That's really not an optimal way to fit ships. You generally want to select primary weapons for their functionality, and then build the rest of the ship's loadout around those primary weapons. Always using the most efficient or cheapest options will have a seriously negative effect on your combat power. For high tech ships especially, having more flux generation than dissipation is fine (to a point), because they usually have the speed to disengage and vent. This is one of the reasons why energy weapons have worse flux/damage ratios than ballistics- the ships they go on can handle it. Nearly every vanilla weapon is worth using (we don't talk about the Paladin) on certain ships and in certain builds; if you're electing not to use them because of OP costs, you've probably made an error.

Arc Emitters are still good— their poor efficiency is manageable because they have low DPS, and their low DPS is offset by their EMP damage, instant hit, and oversized firing arcs. Don't get too upset about nerfs; I tend to release things in an overpowered state and then nerf them down (which you can see in the patch notes) because it turns out that balancing is hard.

wizardcain

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Today at 06:37:15 AM »

conflict with New Galactic Order

theDragn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Today at 08:01:09 AM »

conflict with New Galactic Order

This will not be fixed. Either disable NGO, or disable HTE. Same goes for Aria.
Pages: 1 2 [3]