Fractal Softworks Forum
January 22, 2018, 08:06:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New blog post: Revisiting the Economy (01/03/18); Starsector 0.8.1a is out!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: [0.8.1a] Total Conv: "Archean Order" - RP/Adventure/Combat (v1.1a) (Update 1/18)  (Read 5633 times)
Morrokain
Captain

Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2017, 05:52:31 PM »

Download
Main Mod Directory

Older versions

Download and Installation Instructions for New Players
  -   Upon downloading the mod by clicking the link above, unzip it and click through the folders until viewing a single folder above all the data. (So the file path would read "Archean Order TC v0.8.1a/data" etc)

-   Next, drag the folders to the "Mods" directory. It should be located under something like: "C Drive/Program Files/Fractal Softworks/Starsector/Mods" See the image in the spoiler below for an example of what the final installation directory should look like.

-

-   Run the game. When the first screen appears, at the very bottom click "Mods" and a list of installed mods should appear. As long as you followed the above steps, you should see "Archean Order". For reference see the photos below in the spoiler.

-

-   As displayed in the image above, other mods you may have installed will also show up here (utility mods may still be selected).

-   However, "Archean Order" is a TOTAL CONVERSION and will NOT work with the majority of other mods due to its comprehensive editing of core files.

-   If you think some of the "lighter touch" mods that may still work and could provide additional fun, set "totalConversion" to false in the mod_info.json file located in the primary mod directory.

-   Still, I would advise against such mod-merging attempts as they may cause unintended issues.

-   Checkbox "Archean Order" (utility mods not advised without prior knowledge) as shown in the above image, and be sure all other mods are unchecked. This should happen automatically. Click "Save".

-   Click "Play Starsector" and enjoy the Archean Order mod!

Mod Features
    -     More Dialogue Options for Fleet Encounters
           - >   Request commodities and war funds from anyone you meet.
           - >   Negotiate cease-fires with hostile captains or bribe your way out of combat situations.
           - >   Demand commodities or payment from fleets using your strength and influence.
           - >   Get tactical advice from your officers, who will have an opinion of you that will effect their dialogue and performance. **Coming soon!**
           - >   Negotiate with allies to reinforce your position or attack enemy factions' fleets and installations. **Coming soon!**
           - >   Use marines to protect your commodities and prevent boarding attacks on your vessels. **Coming soon!**

-     4 New Factions
           - >   New thematic factions with distinctive ships, weapons, culture, backstory and tactics.
           - >   New and existing factions will react differently to your dialogue choices based on their motives, personality and other factors.
           - >   New factions have their own music, portraits, tech and skins.
           - >   Explore the sector to learn more and find your play style.
           - >   A customized tutorial that introduces new mechanics, ships and factions. **Coming very soon!**
           - >   A story introducing a few of the new and existing factions' characters. **Coming very soon!**

-     New Combat Mechanics and Tactics
           - >   Over 25 types of fighters.
           - >   Fighters are smaller, faster, more numerous, and can deal extra damage to ships' weapons and engines.
           - >   Over 100 weapons.
           - >   Smaller weapons, more weapons per ship- designed to mimic a cinematic combat experience inspired by the Star Wars movies.
           - >   New ships spread across all hull classes and factions.
           - >   250+ variants.
           - >   New skins for existing ships - sometimes dramatically changing features and load-out options.

-     New Starting Options and Role-Playing Scenarios
           - >   More starting ship choices and options based around play-styles.
           - >   Start as a pirate, with a reputation throughout the sector and a small raider wolfpack.
           - >   Start as a mercenary, with a powerful financial backer and a small elite strike force.
           - >   Custom tutorial options for each start, teaching new techniques and skills to succeed in that role. **Coming very soon!**

-     An Emphasis on Story-Telling and Immersion
           - >   Rich background for all new factions- who will treat you differently based on their culture, your reputation, and your choices.
           - >   Thematic music, portraits, logos, descriptions, ships and weaponry for each new faction.
           - >   New and existing factions are recognizable at a glance - unique faction weapons and custom skins with stat modifiers give identity to their fleets.
           - >   Engage in small-talk to learn valuable secrets and improve your reputation with others, even your officers. **Coming soon!**
           - >   Exploration, and investigation of hidden secrets leading to powerful allies, lost technology, or even shaping the politics of the sector's major factions. **Coming soon!**
           - >   Bioware-inspired notoriety system. Strike fear into those who've heard of your deeds or be known as the sector's best hope for survival. **Coming soon!**

Tactics Manual

-    I created this tactics manual to give players a reference point for the multiple changes to the combat layer present in the mod. It should not be required to play, most of the game's descriptions will give an accurate sense of things, but it exists regardless! The tutorial will also explain a lot of things, but until I can get the bugs out of the story encounters there it is disabled.

-   As a side note, the role playing starts will eventually require the tutorial to be played first, but I will disable that requirement until it is up and running.

Screenshots

-   These obviously do not nearly encompass everything currently present in the mod  -  not even close actually because that would be silly and take forever to document  Wink  -  but they should do a good job of providing a brief showcase of some of the mod's features. I put them in spoilers both to save scroll space and in case you prefer to be surprised.

New Dialogue Options

Combat

Factions

Ships

Weapons

Performance and System Requirements

-    More combat calculations and just the extra content/scripts in the mod will inevitably impact performance.

-    The most noticeable performance difference from unodded Starsector is a longer loading time at start, especially the first time you load the mod.

-    Sorry everyone, I've tried to optimize where I can but my rules file alone is around 800 entries. I wanted the dialogue features to be immersive, and that requires a lot of scenarios and dialogue to get it to feel right.

-    It's hard to measure- I can tell you my test PC has these specs and only has noticeable performance drops during the largest of battles (60 fps otherwise):

PROCESSOR:        -     3.40GHz Intel i5
              RAM:                   -     8G
              VIDEO:                -     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

-    I would like to establish a good benchmark here, so please feel free to chime in with what kind of performance you are experiencing, alongside your specs.

-    I know it is definitely playable on older PC's and laptops from tests, but if I need to make adjustments I can try a few things.

Credits and Thanks

-    Wow, I'm so very excited to finally bring this mod to everyone! It has been a 4+ year journey now to this point and I could never have done this without help from many members in the community throughout the years.

-    To name just a few:

- Alex
                   - Starsector's creator and my inspiration in game design. For the countless questions and coding help over several years and the emphasis you put towards supporting the modding community, taking player suggestions seriously, and just being a general all around nice guy, a serious heart-felt thank you!

- xenoargh
                   - Creator of EZFaction and a very active and vocal member of the modding community, thank you for your input, creative suggestions, and all the questions you've answered!

- LazyWizard, Trylobot, kazi, TJJ, Deathfly, Dark.Revenant, Tartiflette
                   - Probably the majority of the mods that currently exist use your tools and tutorials. A big thanks for your support of the community!

- Art and Sound Assets
                   - Though the ship edits, logos, title screen and weapons were done personally, factions of this mod would not be possible without the hard work, inspiration and generous free-use permissions granted by the artists who are responsible for the portraits and music.

- ***Special Note*** As promised under applicable licenses, I will both credit and link to the websites of those artists! Thank you! I have also taken some of these assets from free art/sound websites that do not always specifically credit the author. I have worked hard to verify these sources- however, if for whatever reason you are the owner of an asset used in this mod and either you have not been credited or I do not have your permission to use said asset, please contact me and either I will ensure you are credited or I will remove the asset from the mod. I completely understand the desire for work to have the appropriate credit and I'm not here to profit or steal anyone's stuff. I am just trying to make a fun and unique mod experience the current game doesn't offer!  Cheesy

**Dev Note** I am not responsible for the content on the linked websites. They may contain mature material that I have no control over. Discretion is advised where necessary.

- Portraits
                   SineAlas - https://sinealas.deviantart.com/
                   virink.com - https://www.pinterest.com/source/virink.com/
                   Degenerate Portrait Pack - http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12493.0

- Music
                   PurplePlanet - http://www.purple-planet.com/
                   Ross Budgen (SoundCloud) - https://soundcloud.com/rossbugden/epic-and-dramatic-trailer-music-olympus-copyright-and-royalty-free

- Modding Community
                - To all the forum members who have given their advice, opinions, critiques and ideas - whether you even know it or not - you have been a big influence in shaping this mod to what it is now and inspiring me to continue working to bring this project to fruition. To say I stand on the shoulders of giants doesn't even do it justice. Again, a big thank you everyone!

***Dev Note***
   -    I started out in 2012 simply trying to add a flight deck and two small turrets to the eagle. That was my original mod idea.  Roll Eyes

Fast forward and all the things I thought would be cool to add to my favorite game I have attempted to make professional quality in this mod- or at least planned them. I'll admit, this is the first amateur writing, world-building and storytelling I've ever publicly attempted, so I apologize if I get a little fan-boyish or corny sometimes. I try to contain myself as much as I can, but I fear it bleeds through anyway, ha. I also know I have - whether intentionally or not - teased this mod without any actual releases for a couple years now. All I can say for that is that I am dedicated to quality as much as I am able, and, at risk of being overly nit-picky in detail and nuance. I wanted the first release to "wow" and be fun right from the start. Oftentimes the biggest resource is putting in more time and love! Thank you for your patience and I hope it was worth the wait!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:33:13 PM by Morrokain » Logged
Morrokain
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 05:52:40 PM »

**Patch Info and Feature Focus**

This section will be reserved to document any existing updates as I find and squash bugs and continue to enhance the player experience with more dialogue, role playing options and features.

Next Patch Changes: Rough ETA: 1/22 - 1/30

Content Additions
  • Archean Order and Adamantine Consortium have new systems near the Core Worlds containing their respective capitals and main strongholds.
  • 3 New low tier energy strike/fire support weapons.
  • 3 New low tier ballistic strike/fire support weapons.
  • 1 New high tier missile strike weapon.
  • 2 New low tech frigates with medium energy mounts found easily early on.
  • 1 New mid tech destroyer with medium composite mounts in Lions Guard and Trader Guilds patrols/markets.

Current Patch Changes: Update v1.1a 1/18/2018
Content Additions
  • New hullmod - Priority Beam Defense AI - Makes all PD Burst Beams only target missiles.

Balance Changes
  • The Conquest and Falcon now have Maneuvering Jets as their ship system (was Deploy Reserve Fighters).
  • Deploy Reserve Fighters and Targeting Feed ship systems no longer generate flux on use. Instead, they start with 3 charges, gaining one charge greatly exceeds the system's cooldown.
  • Burst PD Laser and Heavy Burst PD Laser now auto-target fighters and ships as well as missiles. To balance this change, both weapons have had their charge regeneration reduced (burst damage is the same).
  • Guardian PD System now targets fighters and ships as well as missiles. To balance this change, the weapon has been converted to a charge-based weapon (with 8 charges) and reduced burst damage by 20 percent.
  • Increased the accuracy of the Artillery Cannon by ~20 percent.
  • Reduced effectiveness on Flux of built-in faction systems by ~33 percent.

Bug Fixes and Design Improvements
  • Fixed a few variants with errors.
  • Added a few variants with new weapons configurations and rebalanced previous ones using them to operate more effectively, where necessary.
  • Updated tooltips of several weapons (Ie. Mining Laser, Mining Blaster, Guardian PD System) to better describe their function and power.
  • Updated tooltips of fighters to better describe their roles and strengths at a glance.
  • Corrected a few more typos and awkward language in descriptions - mostly campaign related entities.
  • Added regen back in for the Atropos Torpedo(Single). Dagger Bomber now has a custom built-in version without regen.
  • All vessels now gain the "0-Flux Boost" until 5% flux. Changing Tier 3 Helmsmanship to allow up to 35% flux before boost cuts off.
  • Hermes cargo capacity reduced to be more in line with other freighters.
  • Hornet SRM is now renamed to Vespid SRM (id is same for modders).
  • Added new descriptions to some key faction colonies to better improve immersion.

Prior Patch Changes:
Update v1.1 1/10/2018
Content Additions
  • Faction colonies are now seeded directly into the Core Worlds.
  • Faction colonies now have unique descriptions describing their place in the sector and their respective owners' goals and culture.
  • Added ~7-8 small weapons in the "Strike" and "Fire Support" category spread across missile and ballistic weapon types.
  • Starting variants have been adjusted to account for the new weapons.
  • Added new variants or modified existing ones across many factions (especially pirates).

Bug Fixes and Design Improvements
  • Fixed crash on clicking "Show Info" on planets while in the Intel tab.
  • All new factions now generate system bounties, food shortages, survey missions, etc.
  • Added a small composite weapon slot to the Hound All variants have been adjusted to reflect this - deployment cost increased to 2 supplies.
  • Captain personality will now properly reduce or improve the amount of credits requisitioned or demanded from fleets as intended.
  • "Safety Overrides" description will now properly display what it does.
  • Fixed more scenarios where bribery failed to get the enemy to disengage.
  • Updated Bribe description to include information previously obscured to the player when bribing a fleet captain.
  • Changed "Max and Min Battle Slider" settings to more accurately reflect standard Performance Requirements. (100 - 300 with default at 150)
  • Slightly increased Capital Ship deployment costs.
  • Balance pass through ship systems - generally increasing time to regenerate charges substantially.
  • Flares have been reworked to regenerate.
  • Fixed several description typos and outdated references.

Performance Improvements and Misc
  • Improved performance of starting a new game and loading the mod by ~33%.
  • EZFaction and LazyLib utility tools are no longer required to play the mod.

Hotfix v1.0a 1/2/2018
  • Fixed bug with Bribes and Cease-Fire negotiations not always causing the enemy fleet to disengage if the faction reputation is hostile towards the player in general.
  • Bribes should also no longer occur concurrently if you provoke the fleet a second time.
  • Roughly halved number of EZFaction procedural faction colonies to improve campaign stability and performance.

Also, I am going to use this section to give some transparency to current Dev work. Specifically: which features I am prioritizing. I may have polls later if people would like some **Coming soon** features prioritized over others.

Next Planned Features By Priority:
  • Tutorial and Intro Story.
  • Customize-able Officers of any faction with Trader Guild Mercenary Recruitment Stations.
  • Tactical Advice from Officers.
  • Officer Reputation System.
  • Small Talk with Npcs.
  • Notoriety System along with player titles for campaign achievements.

Future Planned Features By Priority:
  • 2 Additional Factions: one playable, one not.
  • Full campaign story with custom missions and quest chains.
  • Unique combat scenarios currently not found in campaign.
  • More advanced utilization of Marine Battles.
  • *Ground Battles and Planetary Invasions??
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 06:08:48 PM by Morrokain » Logged
Morrokain
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »

**Collaboration and Feedback**

Do you have feedback for the mod that is constructively critical but want to remain anonymous? No problem!

Feel free to send me a PM on the forums indicating what you dislike and why - though a couple points:

- Please try to keep it constructive and polite. Wink It especially helps if you have a proposed solution to your concern or issue.

- I will consider all comments, but I still hold final say on changes. This is not a guarantee, though I really really do appreciate the feedback!

Collaboration

- Want to help out with Archean Order or want your faction in the campaign? Send me a PM and we can discuss!

I am especially interested in:

• Portrait Artists
  • Illustration Artists
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:21:31 PM by Morrokain » Logged
Morrokain
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »

Happy New Year everyone!  Wink
Arkar1234
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:13:19 PM by Arkar1234 » Logged

Somewhere... somehow... some when.... there's a Kantai Collection mod for Starsector.....
MajorTheRed
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 09:26:54 PM »

As a geologist, I need to ask "why archean?"  Grin

By the way, this mod has some really nice sprite, really like them. And its seems to have take a lot of work!
xenoargh
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »

This looks super-cool.  Bravo!  I'll try this out tomorrow Smiley

A smallish request / suggestion, if I may.
It wouldn't take a huge amount of work to get the ships / weapons converted to use FX mod for performance improvements.  

If fighters tend to be more numerous, we can expect pretty crawling framerates in big fights, especially as the count of fighters goes up.  

At the very least, I'd do Fighter engines and gun flares / explosions; that will save a surprising amount of CPU, I think you'll find, while preserving the Vanilla look of the ship engines and missile trails.

I might just find time to do this initially for you as an optional mini-mod; you'll have to maintain it, though.

Check out my SS projects Smiley
NightKev
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 10:00:34 PM »

You really should set the "total conversion" flag to true on your mod, its entire purpose is for TCs and that's what this is...
Histidine
Admiral

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 10:09:58 PM »

You really should set the "total conversion" flag to true on your mod, its entire purpose is for TCs and that's what this is...
Addendum on reasoning: If people want to use other mods with this they should change the TC flag themselves (i.e. poweruser opt-in), until such time as Archean Order is known to be compatible with most/all extant mods.
Otherwise some users will inevitably fail to note the incompatibility issues, break it and won't know who to look to for help.

Morrokain
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 10:21:28 PM »

Addendum on reasoning: If people want to use other mods with this they should change the TC flag themselves (i.e. poweruser opt-in), until such time as Archean Order is known to be compatible with most/all extant mods.
Otherwise some users will inevitably fail to note the incompatibility issues, break it and won't know who to look to for help.

You guys sold me. I had debated that very issue in my head for a while, but its true that anyone who knows enough to try it would also know how to disable to TC flag. Updated- undocumented but its a really small thing.  Wink

This looks super-cool.  Bravo!  I'll try this out tomorrow Smiley

A smallish request / suggestion, if I may.
It wouldn't take a huge amount of work to get the ships / weapons converted to use FX mod for performance improvements.  

If fighters tend to be more numerous, we can expect pretty crawling framerates in big fights, especially as the count of fighters goes up.  

At the very least, I'd do Fighter engines and gun flares / explosions; that will save a surprising amount of CPU, I think you'll find, while preserving the Vanilla look of the ship engines and missile trails.

I might just find time to do this initially for you as an optional mini-mod; you'll have to maintain it, though.

Thank you for the praise! I am very much open to your suggestion too! It is actually on a to-do list to investigate, but it was put behind things like getting the tutorial to work. But if it would improve performance as you say, its worth a look in the near future!

As a geologist, I need to ask "why archean?"  Grin

By the way, this mod has some really nice sprite, really like them. And its seems to have take a lot of work!

Thank you!

Also, hey someone asked!  Grin Its a reference to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archeus

Lord Archeus is the leader of the faction. He isn't quite in the game yet, only references. But well, I have a lot of plans and notes you see...

**EDIT** 1/3

Oh my! Just realized you were not grouped in and properly thanked for your feedback in my first response post! Thought I had! Very sorry about that, especially considering the hilarious gif!   Sad
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:43:22 PM by Morrokain » Logged
A Random Jolteon
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 09:49:12 AM »

"  - >   Smaller weapons, more weapons per ship- designed to mimic a cinematic combat experience inspired by the Star Wars movies."

Me: DOWNLOAD FASTER YOU STUPID POTATO OF A COMPUTER!!!
Thaago
Admiral

Quantum Mechanic

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 11:55:47 AM »

Woooo! I am very excited to try this!
Ahne
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 01:39:39 PM »

Looks very interesting and fresh, will test it in the next year Wink

Morrokain
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 02:11:41 PM »

Woooo! I am very excited to try this!
Looks very interesting and fresh, will test it in the next year Wink
"  - >   Smaller weapons, more weapons per ship- designed to mimic a cinematic combat experience inspired by the Star Wars movies."

Me: DOWNLOAD FASTER YOU STUPID POTATO OF A COMPUTER!!!

Cheesy

For those with older specs, please let me know if you are having performance issues, and preferably where -  campaign layer or combat - physical memory leaks/thrashing vs FPS drops - etc

I am debating scaling back or how much I can get away with things like:

- Max battle size

- Number of active faction bases/colonies using EZFaction

- How is the first load time? Subsequent loads?

These things will let me get a good idea of the scope of future releases. Especially the viability of some of the fancier features to come.

Happy hunting!
Death_Silence_66
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 11:25:26 PM »

Wow, great work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: