Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Advanced Turret Gyros - Alternate Buffs  (Read 3341 times)

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
Advanced Turret Gyros - Alternate Buffs
« on: January 05, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »

Pretty much everyone considers this to be a lacking hull mod from what I've seen.

Some alternate ideas that might be worthwhile.

Make it so that it also reduces weapon recoil - That is, weapon inaccuracy increase while firing.
Would help with some types of weapons and make them more powerful, in addition to helping large weapons track.

Suppress or significantly reduce the Turret locking effect. In which a turret that is currently firing turns 5-10x slower. Reduce that to maybe 2x slower with Advanced Gyros.

I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Turret Gyros - Alternate Buffs
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 08:45:05 AM »

Advanced Turret Gyros is mainly useful to make beam PD or tactical laser turn fast enough after getting hit with a turn penalty from Advanced Optics.  It suffices for that purpose.  It is occasionally useful for speeding up turn speed of slower ballistics.

Advanced Turret Gyros reducing recoil and inaccuracy of ballistics (and autopulse laser) sounds good, but the benefit could be worth more Advanced Turret Gyros current cost, and I do not want the OP cost to go up.  When I need Advanced Turret Gyros to fix beam PD turn speed, I really need it, and I am glad Advanced Turret Gyros is dirt cheap.

Reducing turret locking is good too.  I guess +50% speed that up, just not enough.

Advanced Turret Gyros is not the worst hull mod.  I can think of others that are worse:
* Integrated Point-Defense AI:  The only weapon that this might be useful for is Tactical Laser, but LR PD laser is nearly as good and cheaper.
* Omni Shield Emitter:  Costs too much OP and halves your shield arc.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 03:40:54 PM »

i'm with Megas on this. ATG is very situational, not something i take often. but occasionally it can be quite useful, for very low OP cost. so if there are to be buffs, i'd also prefer to keep them small so that it doesn't require a significant OP cost increase in return.

and i agree on Shield Conversion - Omni as well. unlike the Front one, which might actually be a little too good, i virtually never use the Omni version.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:42:52 PM by Sy »

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 10:49:38 PM »

ATG is also useful for dedicated anti-fighter platforms. Even with 100% autofire tracking from gunnery implants, sometimes guns just can't turn fast enough to properly track speedy interceptors. If you want to use LAGs or IR pulse lasers as anti-fighter guns, ATG helps a lot. It's a niche hullmod, but it fills a useful niche.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 01:48:02 AM »

ATG seems to be generally useful on Capitals, considering that they usually fight against multiple faster enemies in different directions that often enter/leave attack range.

And PD guns not turning fast enough is also a very real problem, that can be quite easily demonstrated by Salamanders (not that there are no other cases, these are just easiest way to see if you have enough turret turn rate or not).

Then there is Advanced Optics - using it without ATG is pretty much not an option, unless you already have only fixed hardpoints or want your turrets to be no better than that.

* Integrated Point-Defense AI:  The only weapon that this might be useful for is Tactical Laser, but LR PD laser is nearly as good and cheaper.
* Omni Shield Emitter:  Costs too much OP and halves your shield arc.
Agree on both.
* IPDAI tacs suffer too much downtime when switching targets (or being unable to rotate without interrupting fire). This gets to extreme where Paragon(using as many tacs as possible) vs Onslaught intercepts more incoming Annihilators by not having IPDAI, while also doing more damage to Onslaught with it's tac lasers.
* Omni Shield Emitter: SS does not allow to separately control shield, turreted weapons and precise ship movement(face cursor) at the same time (and I don't see what can be done here, beside auto-shield mode). Why would I install so overpriced hullmod with big drawbacks, when I don't even have chance of properly using it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:01:51 AM by TaLaR »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 07:02:58 AM »

The biggest drawback of Omni Shield Emitter is the OP cost.  It is so high that using it on a frigate is not an option, and the few other ships where it could be useful (namely Falcon and Eagle) do not have the OP to spare for it.  The other drawbacks do not help, although they make sense.  However, I wish the half penalty applied before Extended Shields.  Extended Shields reduced to +30 after Omni Shield really hurts.  I might consider using Omni Shield if the OP cost was much cheaper.

Yes, fighting effectively with Omni shield can be tricky, but that can be done.  I really miss Omni shield Wolf.  It was better off with Omni shield.

Front Shield Emitter is good.  It seems cheap enough, but it really is not.  The ships that use it well do not have much OP to spare, except Odyssey, which has a crushing OP shortage like old Hammerhead.  If Front Shield Emitter and Stabilized Shields OP costs need to match, I prefer the latter lowered than the former raised.  Ships have little (or no) OP to spare.  There is a reason why Loadout Design 3 is so great.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 08:49:36 AM »

Yes, fighting effectively with Omni shield can be tricky, but that can be done.  I really miss Omni shield Wolf.  It was better off with Omni shield.

Quickly releasing face to cursor key and rotating/re-raising shield to meet (what typically is) a Salamander works, but so does last second phase skim. Both require setup and full player attention for a few moments.
AI may suffer a lot from losing the Omni, but as far as player piloting is concerned skimmer solves same problem well enough.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 08:55:20 PM »

+1 on Omni shield.

But I do find ATG do work well on a lot of slower turn-rate ships with wide fire-arcs. Especially when placed on AI ships the turrets will be firing a lot more since target tracking is something the AI is too hyperactive with. Its not expensive so I always use it on most domain ships from lashers to onslaughts and everything in between. On beam eagle support ships it also works quite well.