Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A few questions regarding the next version.  (Read 7983 times)

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
A few questions regarding the next version.
« on: December 23, 2017, 04:41:59 PM »

I'm so excited about the next version of Starsector,I just finished reading the development post. However not to be negative but I would like to know a few things hopefully that will be fixed for the next version.
Will the save freeze crash be fixed from using mods?
Will the performance be improved with all the new additions to sustain more mods or are we looking at running less mods? For example I love using faction ship mods but after you get about 6 different ones with Dynasector and Nexarilen I encounter a save freeze bug. Please don't tell me I have a potato when my pc runs any new game on ultra with mods as well. I've seen several topics and several post about this as well and I feel that it would be nice to know what's going with this.
I also wanted to know if we could get a scroll feature when we first start a save game and it shows the mod list.The reason being once you have too many mods installed you can only see the page size and none of the rest.

If anyone has any ideas about performance or improvements feel free to add.
I do love this game and with all the new features coming I will be sinking several hundred more hours into it. ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:32:18 PM by Kyuss11 »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: A few question regarding the next version.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »

I'm so excited about the next version of Starsector,I just finished reading the development post. However not to be negative but I would like to know a few things hopefully that will be fixed for the next version.
Will the performance be improved with all the new additions to sustain more mods or are we looking at running less mods? For example I love using faction ship mods but after you get about 6 different ones with Dynasector and Nexarilen I encounter a save freeze bug. Please don't tell me I have a potato when my pc runs any new game on ultra with mods as well. I've seen several topics and several post about this as well and I feel that it would be nice to know what's going with this.
I also wanted to know if we could get a scroll feature when we first start a save game and it shows the mod list.The reason being once you have too many mods installed you can only see the page size and none of the rest.

If anyone has any ideas about performance or improvements feel free to add.
I do love this game and with all the new features coming I will be sinking several hundred more hours into it. ;)
I'm not Alex but I'm sure that the new updated economy will help with both performance and saves
Also it would help that you list your specs and RAM allocations as some of us might be able to spot if you are doing something wrong and help get you a better running game.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: A few question regarding the next version.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »

I have several times and even copied Nemo's youtube mod list.Like I said there is no crash just a save that hangs up and several moderators have confirmed this is a bug.Trust me I have tried to see if I was doing something wrong. I understand that Nemo's processor might be faster than mine and perhaps is the reason for quicker save processing instead of time out error.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=13140.0

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions regarding the next version.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 12:06:41 PM »

For example I love using faction ship mods but after you get about 6 different ones with Dynasector and Nexarilen I encounter a save freeze bug. Please don't tell me I have a potato when my pc runs any new game on ultra with mods as well. I've seen several topics and several post about this as well and I feel that it would be nice to know what's going with this.
I have several times and even copied Nemo's youtube mod list.Like I said there is no crash just a save that hangs up and several moderators have confirmed this is a bug.Trust me I have tried to see if I was doing something wrong. I understand that Nemo's processor might be faster than mine and perhaps is the reason for quicker save processing instead of time out error.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=13140.0

Hmm - so this actually looks like it could be a graphics driver issue, the game seems to hang at a time where it's switching the current graphics context between threads, after it's done saving. While it's saving, another thread is rendering the progress bar, and when it's done, it hands rendering control back to the main thread, and that's where things hang. I'd suggest trying a different driver version - either updating to the latest, or rolling back to something from a few months back.

Another option, if you're only seeing this with mods, is to disable GraphicsLib (from its settings file) to see if that helps. It very well might.

Will the performance be improved with all the new additions to sustain more mods or are we looking at running less mods?

I'd say overall it should improve because the new economy is more light-weight, but we'll see.

I've got a TODO item about improving this somewhere, I think. The tooltip was never meant to handle so many mods :)

Kasau

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »

?????
There are androi version
I love this game and i think this game wild success on phone
Sr my english is bad

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »

The game is very resource intensive. Would not work well on a phone at all. Unless you have ipad pro levels of power.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 09:27:43 PM »

A mobile version of Starsector?  ??? Is that even possible?

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 02:22:02 AM »

As a player interested in eventually playing full release version of Starsector (and it's expansions  :) ), I think that diverting developer resources to make some scaled-down version of SS would only hurt main SS game, and as such is undesirable.

Bunshichi Tawara

• Ensign
  • Call Me Exorcist Tawara
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 06:00:01 AM »

there use to be a mobile game that stole assets from starsector and played a lot like it so its not far from the specter of impossible.

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 01:38:03 AM »

there use to be a mobile game that stole assets from starsector and played a lot like it so its not far from the specter of impossible.
What was it called?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 01:59:28 PM »

What was it called?
I don't think Alex would like us talking and naming one of the games that have stolen assets from him and have been removed as such

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 07:03:40 AM »

Did he proceed to do anything about it or it not worth a time to bother?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »

Did he proceed to do anything about it or it not worth a time to bother?
He filed a DMCA if I recall

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 11:35:44 AM »

my question, how soon until we get to see it?  I'm hoping February!?!?!?!  seems like he's been doing a 1 a year kinda thing lately

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 11:55:47 AM »

Not very likely tbh, we didn't even get any patch notes yet. I predict it'll be in late March, early April.
Please don't take me too seriously.
Pages: [1] 2