Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Colony Management  (Read 68146 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Management
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2017, 09:18:26 PM »

Maybe the world is in a close orbit a particularly violent star/gas giant/star cluster which has deposited an enormous and deep transuranic dust layer (which obviously also breaks down into the good stuff you mine nickel-iron asteroids for such as the platinum group metals, niobium, tantalum, rhenium - all things going into first through third generation superalloys). Exotic places with exotic resources, ranging the gamut from high energy atmospheres/environments that are suitable for producing lots of research components to sell to market (particle research or fancy batteries), deathworlds with fascinating biological products (medicines, drugs, food), etc.

This is where I'd enjoy roleplaying my faction's proclivities - instead of robots, do you send down waves of augmented 'humans' who are ever more adapted? (Revelation Space ultron style like Diamond Dogs), an army of corpses controlled by an AI (Ancillary Justice(Don't betray the AI, you won't like it when an unfeeling utterly rational entity gets stuck in a fleshly body and must take matters into its own hands)), or perhaps that's all too expensive for you and the number of lives lost in the mines is just an item on the expense report as you fuel the war machine keeping your unwashed masses safe from the terrors out there.

I can't fault your choice of literature, but this sounds a bit outside the scope for Starsector :) That said, I'd love to see some more minor interactions like the one at Beholder Station, and that's kind of along similar lines.

I love exploring the different solar systems and seeing all the neat stuff, looking forward to the next update, and thanks for the great work!

Thank you!

Self-sufficiency, as defined by FooF, would be one of my late-game goals.  Before I start destroying enemy factions, I cannot have them stop my war machine by pulling the plug.

That would be most unfortunate. Of course, there are many ways to pull the plug...

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2017, 12:19:20 AM »

-snip-

Things along the lines of a floating armored orbital slab in which you have a small standing population supervising and remotely controlling a team of robots.

-snip-

P.S. would like to be able to play a hard mode faction that ditches planetary bodies as anything but resource sources and colonizes space like in the maple syrup wars (Troy Rising by John Ringo)

I'm getting a picture of an outpost/base that is in space near a more hazardous celestial/colossal object which is something I'd choose over any planetary outpost/base/colony/village/town/city ever because the depths of space are my home not some rock and yeah the space station of sorts must orbit something but at least it's an artificial intricate object usually built/assembled by a space-faring sentient species.

Anyhow, what it all comes down to is basically being able to build something like this in SS:
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

FeudalWulf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2018, 08:22:34 AM »

I believe that money from tariffs that the player receives from colonies should have customized tariff levels the player chooses from. So you can have no tariffs on a given market so the market will expand rapidly but giving the player no money for that given time. Or you can put on a level of tariffs that makes market growth low (or even start to lower market stability) but allowing the player to make super bank.

This can be completely separate from the laissez-faire described in the blog post. You can still allow pirates and other types that have "broken transponders" to trade, for the same tariff. Or have it be the normal system and have them be outright blocked from trading. Completely separate from tariffs. Unless of course they trade on the black market, in which case your nearby military fleet will have a few words for the pirates as is normal.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2018, 08:33:28 AM »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I think this sort of tradeoff - credits for population growth - makes a lot of sense. The "growth incentives" mechanic (described in this blog post, towards the end) should achieve about the same thing, the main difference being that you can also funnel outside money into the market to further fuel growth. So, yeah, I think we're on the same page here :)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2018, 02:56:44 PM »

I wonder if it's possible to build a cluster of colonies that form a self sufficient circle outside of core world.
That is to say, your colonies basically fulfill their own need (and sometimes even some surplus product) by trading to each other and no trade to main factions.
Theoretically this can be done given you find a good place that you can obtain all kinds of resource in the limited numbers of planets.
You might not earn a lot of money doing this but your system(s) can be safer from hostile factions' invasion.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2018, 03:27:54 PM »

I wonder if it's possible to build a cluster of colonies that form a self sufficient circle outside of core world.
That is to say, your colonies basically fulfill their own need (and sometimes even some surplus product) by trading to each other and no trade to main factions.
Theoretically this can be done given you find a good place that you can obtain all kinds of resource in the limited numbers of planets.

Yep, and ...

You might not earn a lot of money doing this but your system(s) can be safer from hostile factions' invasion.

... possibly.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2018, 12:44:54 AM »

It occurs to me that the player faction doesn't get the shortname that ordinary factions have (or at least there's no input field shown). Should it have one, for brevity in UI elements?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2018, 07:10:56 AM »

It's more that the player faction doesn't get a longname :)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2018, 08:27:37 AM »

Can the player establish multiple instances of the same industry at a market?

I noticed some markets in current releases had something like Light Industry (2).  I guess that the market had two of the same, and it was compacted to indicate that it had more of the same production.

It would look silly on the management screen, much like that one image with twelve Population and Infrastructure, but... if that what it takes to exploit an abundant resource, well... then it gets done.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2018, 08:43:04 AM »

Can the player establish multiple instances of the same industry at a market?

I noticed some markets in current releases had something like Light Industry (2).  I guess that the market had two of the same, and it was compacted to indicate that it had more of the same production.

It would look silly on the management screen, much like that one image with twelve Population and Infrastructure, but... if that what it takes to exploit an abundant resource, well... then it gets done.

Can't do that, no. Having multiple conditions like that was necessary to get some kind of balance for the economy, but that's not the case anymore.

Kasau

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2018, 07:43:12 PM »

Can we order colony defending fleet fighting alongside us
Sr my english is bad

Arkiuz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2018, 04:07:53 PM »

Sr my english is bad

I imagine that doing this is a bad idea.  If that fleet is traveling with you, who is defending the colonists on the planet?

On topic, I'm rather excited.  It's going to be a pretty cutthroat experience when you're developing a planet and some pirates come along to loot it.

Kasau

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2018, 06:36:10 PM »

I mean 1 colony may have 2 or 3 defending fleet and who will order all fleet going ti battle leave the colony for pirater loot
And i think we may have more than 1 main fleet
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:08:52 PM by Kasau »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2018, 08:19:21 AM »

Maybe? Haven't figured out exactly how fleet mechanics will work here. It's a good question and definitely something I'm thinking through.

Kasau

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2018, 07:00:33 PM »

I think simple the colony wild have maximum fleet thay have when they level up thay will have more fleet
Like lv1 colony will have 2 fleet basic
1 for defen pantrol detach etc
1 is convoy for trading suply
The Administrators will control the fleet if they don't have order from us
I think if you can do a Admiral for fleet leader is so good
I think we will use some of colony fleet like reserve fleel and to battle in faction total war like order 2 or 3 fleet attack 2 or 3 enemy colony or outpost
And i don't understand what different between colony and outpost
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:15:23 PM by Kasau »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10