Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Colony Management  (Read 68120 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Colony Management
« on: December 21, 2017, 02:37:51 PM »

Blog post here.

Bribe Guntails

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Management
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 03:12:02 PM »

All these new additions brought by colonies sound so exciting! Establishing yourself as a faction and executing your own agenda is going to feel so much better.

You merely hinted about the drawbacks of using AI cores, but I can easily imagine that, aside from the difficulty in acquiring, they can draw more trouble to your colonies and whole faction.

Salaries aren't too significant what with lowered costs of logistic commodities, but I bet other players are happy that's been lifted from mods. Also breathes more life into the game.

What I want to know more is how colonies and such are managed. Your character has a limited management capacity for Colonies and administrators, who each can manage 1 Colony.
Using the current implementation of ships in a fleet, each Colony is essentially a ship that REQUIRES an officer (or player character) to commandeer, right?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 03:18:05 PM »

You merely hinted about the drawbacks of using AI cores, but I can easily imagine that, aside from the difficulty in acquiring, they can draw more trouble to your colonies and whole faction.

Without commenting on specifics, that would certainly be in line with the general idea of "more power = more trouble" :)

What I want to know more is how colonies and such are managed. Your character has a limited management capacity for Colonies and administrators, who each can manage 1 Colony.
Using the current implementation of ships in a fleet, each Colony is essentially a ship that REQUIRES an officer (or player character) to commandeer, right?

Yep! If you unassign an admin, the colony automatically goes back to your direct control. There's no such thing as a player-controlled colony without an admin, whether that's you or someone else.

Or you can assign an Alpha Core, of course.

Core markets might not all get admins - i.e. something like Jangala would either have a special admin, or "no admin" (i.e. that portrait you get when a ship has no officer), which may be less confusing than assigning it a random unskilled admin. Will have to see, though, need to work that out.

Destructively Phased

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 03:28:30 PM »

Alpha Core can be assigned to govern an outpost. It has all 3 skills maxed, draws no salary, and is not subject to the normal administrator limit. An option that makes all the other choices terrible in comparison, with no apparent downside? Seems like poor design, if you ask me.

So...........

Risk-reward, yeah an Alpha core is great for running a colony, but might try and start the 3rd AI war.

1 question: do these things have an easy-to-reach off button?

And is it call an “Onslaught”?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 03:45:59 PM »

All very good questions indeed.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 04:27:40 PM »

Every blog post I read seems to be just as good if not better than the previous. Nice work Alex. Looking forward to seeing this in the game.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 04:29:54 PM »

So what I'm getting from that picture is that Alpha cores are susceptible to some combination of theft and/or flight...  ("What happened to the Alpha Core that was supposed to be running this place?"  "...As near as we can tell, it hacked its own security system, got itself installed on a newly-built cruiser, and took off for parts unknown."  Cue bounty mission to hunt the thing down again.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 05:25:34 PM »

"Voltaire Collective"

Don't think I'd let that Expanse reference slip by

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 05:51:34 PM »

Ooooh @ ending

Questions/comments:

- Is the level cap being raised to accommodate the new industry skills available to the player? (I suspect such a thing would mainly serve to make pure combat players even stronger, but I like to dabble in all the skill trees)

- Can we put officers in storage to temporarily reduce salary costs, if we don't need them right now? (For that matter, how are crew in a Storage submarket handled?)

- What happens if the player becomes insolvent?

- Is that colony in the second screenshot on a decivilized world? I guess the -10 stability effect went away.
Is there a benefit to building a colony on planets with one of the Ruin conditions?

- The tooltip of other factions' markets with storages in the list could stand to include the rental fee.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 05:58:53 PM »

First of all, this is pretty much exactly what I've been hoping for since I bought the game. Super excited!

But I also had a question:

Are there going to be other ways of obtaining survey data besides surveying planets yourself? In the current version of the game, it feels like a lot of planets that have compelling resources require level 3 surveying skills and that an unskilled player can't really survey anything beyond barren worlds. If you could just buy or steal some surveying data though, I think that would be a reasonable way to extend the content to players who don't choose to take surveying skills without invalidating the skills.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 05:59:57 PM »

Interesting stuff, but I've noticed you still haven't touched on military markets or manufacturing ships.

Is something like a blueprint mechanic planned for ships? That would be one of my in-game goals in establishing markets to be honest.
Also, can I assume that selling/buying from local markets will incur no tariff from our own stations?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 06:43:24 PM »

So what I'm getting from that picture is that Alpha cores are susceptible to some combination of theft and/or flight...  ("What happened to the Alpha Core that was supposed to be running this place?"  "...As near as we can tell, it hacked its own security system, got itself installed on a newly-built cruiser, and took off for parts unknown."  Cue bounty mission to hunt the thing down again.)

<scribbles a few notes> Oh who what where? No totally unrelated to this do carry on.

"Voltaire Collective"

Don't think I'd let that Expanse reference slip by

Good to know the reference was not in vain :)

Ooooh @ ending

!!!

- Is the level cap being raised to accommodate the new industry skills available to the player? (I suspect such a thing would mainly serve to make pure combat players even stronger, but I like to dabble in all the skill trees)

I have some thoughts about a minor refactoring of the skill system. Stuff in spoiler because it might not happen or it might happen differently or, well, anything.

Spoiler
Basically reducing the total number of skills per aptitude to 6 or so, and compressing some skills (such as Salvaging + Surveying = Exploration) and strenthening some others (such as the remaining Combat skills, where I have some further thoughts), and probably reducing the level cap to 30. Overall reducing the number of skills from 32 to 24, which roughly matches going from 40 to 30 for the level cap. (Only roughly because of the impact of aptitudes.) But, again, this is tentative at this point.

I'd like to eventually add a few character points as rewards for major campaign things happening, but we'll see.
[close]

- Can we put officers in storage to temporarily reduce salary costs, if we don't need them right now? (For that matter, how are crew in a Storage submarket handled?)

Can't put officers into storage. Crew will cost the 1% storage fee, same as cargo, no salary.

- What happens if the player becomes insolvent?

Currently nothing, but I'd like to add a chance of crew/officers leaving if you're in debt for a few months, and of course anything major relying on a steady tick of credits coming in would fail, too.

- Is that colony in the second screenshot on a decivilized world? I guess the -10 stability effect went away.
Is there a benefit to building a colony on planets with one of the Ruin conditions?

If you colonize a deciv world, that condition gets converted into "Decivilized Subpopulation", which increases hazard, reduces stability, and increases population growth.

- The tooltip of other factions' markets with storages in the list could stand to include the rental fee.

Good call, added to todo list.

First of all, this is pretty much exactly what I've been hoping for since I bought the game. Super excited!

:)

Are there going to be other ways of obtaining survey data besides surveying planets yourself? In the current version of the game, it feels like a lot of planets that have compelling resources require level 3 surveying skills and that an unskilled player can't really survey anything beyond barren worlds. If you could just buy or steal some surveying data though, I think that would be a reasonable way to extend the content to players who don't choose to take surveying skills without invalidating the skills.

Well, you can already get survey data from derelict probes and such, which is pretty much exactly the point. But also, the benefit of the surveying skill is to give you a wider range of options of what to colonize - if too much of that data was available otherwise, I think it *would* invalidate the skills. They should provide an endgame benefit to be worth putting the points in. I'm open to adjusting the range of what the player can survey w/o skill, though - I'd been thinking that it might be a bit too low at the moment.

Interesting stuff, but I've noticed you still haven't touched on military markets or manufacturing ships.

Is something like a blueprint mechanic planned for ships? That would be one of my in-game goals in establishing markets to be honest.

That's very likely, though I still need to nail down the details. Planning to get into this aspect of it in the near future. If all goes to plan, then finding blueprints would be a major part of how salvaging/exploration feeds into stronger colonies.

Also, can I assume that selling/buying from local markets will incur no tariff from our own stations?

I mentioned this in the blog post - briefly, if you build a "Commerce" industry, there'll be an independent Open Market you can trade with, with tariffs. Not having tariffs would incentivize the player to only sell stuff at their own market and that'd be annoying to always have to do. Plus it'd just break a lot of stuff as far as prices and what's profitable.

On the other hand, you can take stuff the colony produces for free, from the Local Resources submarket.

Troika

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 07:53:36 PM »

Concerning providing colonies with the resources they need-- is it possible for colonies to draw supplies from other player colonies in or nearby a system?

EG, let's say I colonize a planet that needs rare ore, then a different planet nearby that mines the stuff. Will the second planet be able to export it's surplus to the first planet without my intervention, or will it require a connection to an NPC market?

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 08:04:28 PM »

I mentioned this in the blog post - briefly, if you build a "Commerce" industry, there'll be an independent Open Market you can trade with, with tariffs. Not having tariffs would incentivize the player to only sell stuff at their own market and that'd be annoying to always have to do. Plus it'd just break a lot of stuff as far as prices and what's profitable.

On the other hand, you can take stuff the colony produces for free, from the Local Resources submarket.
Do outposts have Black Markets at any point? If so, when you buy from or sell to a Black Market on one of your own outposts, does that incur the ire of your own faction? Or is it a just a way to turn stability into some extra money? Or is it forbidden altogether? (Who's gonna sell illegal drugs to the President? Gotta be a trap.)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 08:37:34 PM »

Concerning providing colonies with the resources they need-- is it possible for colonies to draw supplies from other player colonies in or nearby a system?

EG, let's say I colonize a planet that needs rare ore, then a different planet nearby that mines the stuff. Will the second planet be able to export it's surplus to the first planet without my intervention, or will it require a connection to an NPC market?

Yeah, they'll do that automatically if they're within reach of each other. "Local Resources" is a mechanism for converting cargo-units into economy-units and vice versa, basically, if that makes sense.

(Who's gonna sell illegal drugs to the President? Gotta be a trap.)

Yep, that - I'm sure they've got black markets, but what kind of fool is going to tell you about it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10