Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: docking  (Read 3555 times)

Lorant

• Ensign
    • View Profile
docking
« on: December 16, 2017, 02:31:06 PM »

hey folks,

i think there could be a utility in formally allowing the player fleet to "dock" at a market in order to accelerate in-game time without hitting the usual hotkey for that action, even making it faster than normal.

before i make an expedition into the outer volume, i want to unload the food in my cargo so i wait in the orbit of gilead or new maxios for a shortage event to uh 'maximize my effective altruism'*. doing this now uses up supplies and requires i speed up time manually, which is fine for watching fleets skate across the system, but i'd like for there to be a more natural way to hastily idle. maybe make it cost a trivial, but noticeable amount of credits?  

hope this makes sense!

*(definitely not in the same vein you sell ai cores to the unprosecuted war criminals in tri-tach because those credits develop your fleet's arsenal, which probably mitigates more suffering than funneling credits directly into the hands of struggling chicomoztoc urban farmers)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:39:11 PM by Lorant »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: docking
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 09:42:08 PM »

I'm all for having different ways to accelerate time-scales on the strategic map.  I still hate having to hold down the Shift key, and I've been doing it for years now :/
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 09:34:23 AM »

before i make an expedition into the outer volume, i want to unload the food in my cargo so i wait in the orbit of gilead or new maxios for a shortage event to uh 'maximize my effective altruism'*. doing this now uses up supplies and requires i speed up time manually, which is fine for watching fleets skate across the system, but i'd like for there to be a more natural way to hastily idle. maybe make it cost a trivial, but noticeable amount of credits?

It really shouldn't cost credits, because you can make it effectively free by storing all your ships except for a shuttle and then doing the waiting-out-side-hangar-dance, then redocking, regrabbing all your stuff from storage. If there was a wait-while-docked feature that cost credits, people would still do the annoying storage thing because it's cheaper - when presented with slightly more efficiency at the cost of tedium, players pick tedium, every time. That's why you never have game mechanics balanced by increased tedium.

And yes, there really should be a "wait" feature while docked. Hell - make owning local storage a pre-requsite. You're not allowed to clog up the public docking ports, but if you've paid for private hangars and docks, of course you can wait as long as you want in there.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:23:11 AM by DatonKallandor »

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 06:08:49 PM »

For an programming compromise, since we don't want fleets to do spooky things in the background. How about we enable time passage while we look at info screen where we cant make changes. Additionally let orbiting stuff give a maintenance cost reduction, it could even be 100%.

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 09:37:20 PM »

I'm all for having different ways to accelerate time-scales on the strategic map.  I still hate having to hold down the Shift key, and I've been doing it for years now :/

I need to put custom key and make it toggle. Traveling extreme distant through hyperspace sore my finger fast.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 04:11:44 AM »

I'd love this as well, and I support the "Pay for storage, then you can wait there for free as long as you like" approach.

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 01:12:40 PM »

yes, I would love a wait while docked option, particularly good when your running from a bigger fleet, you dock, and then basically as soon as you undock they are still right there, it'd be nice to be able to hide for a bit.