Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 'Orange bars' ?  (Read 8611 times)

Andrius227

• Ensign
    • View Profile
'Orange bars' ?
« on: December 05, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »

Hey. I just downloaded and started playing the latest version after a long break and noticed that there are quite a few changes. Particularly i dont understand the meaning of 'orange bars' visible on some ships. What do they mean ?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:37:31 PM by Andrius227 »

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 'Orange bars' ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »

These ships are completely unready for combat.

You can fix this by replenishing them with supplies.

Otherwise they are essentially useless in combat and cannot use shields.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »

The orange bars are defected mods that can be 1-4 depending on a random chance or if you pick skills in the character progression tree to reduce them. I suggest you read some of the development post,your're in for a treat!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 03:39:59 PM »

Assuming you mean the oranges bars in the upper right corner, those indicate the number of d-mods on the hull. D-mods are permanent negative hullmods, that make the ship much weaker in combat but also cheaper to deploy. YOu can watch the in detail in the refit menu. They are acquired if a ship is destroyed and then salvaged. D-mods can be deleted only for great costs at a dock, which in most cases is not worth it. They form a viable playstile if you spec into industry, though.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Andrius227

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 03:43:04 PM »

Ahh, that makes sense, thanks guys.

Algro

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »

Wait... you can fix d-mods? Haven't seen that option before on the dock, or is it a mod?

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 05:04:18 PM »

One ship I don't find a lot is the Medusa.I always restore that ship,since it's one of my favorites. Even though they were nerfed,with faction mods enabled you can find some really cool alterations that can make that ship awesome and fast to use. It must have phase jump though,hehe.

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »

Hey. I just downloaded and started playing the latest version after a long break and noticed that there are quite a few changes. Particularly i dont understand the meaning of 'orange bars' visible on some ships. What do they mean ?

D-mods, Each bar indicates a single D-mod. Usually some D-mods are worth keeping especially on Auxiliary ships to lower their maintenance costs. But there are some D-mods that you must avoid like "Unreliable Subsystems"(lowers combat readiness of the ship that has it, will cause malfunctions to occur faster and will cost you more than you get from the "bonus" a d-mod gives you) for combat ships and "Degraded Engines" (lowers burn level of a ship by 1,something you'd want to avoid if you aren't a fan of sustained burn) for everything.

Eitherway, Its not unusual to keep a ship with D-mods in the start since you pretty much lack the funds to buy a fully working ship.

Wait... you can fix d-mods? Haven't seen that option before on the dock, or is it a mod?

Its already an "old" mechanic ,relatively speaking, on the current update. How did you miss that?. Though they cost alot and you are better off buying fresh ships instead of spending a fortune for a common ship....unless you fiddle around with the game's setting but where's the fun in that?

Algro

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 09:59:34 PM »

Its already an "old" mechanic ,relatively speaking, on the current update. How did you miss that?. Though they cost alot and you are better off buying fresh ships instead of spending a fortune for a common ship....unless you fiddle around with the game's setting but where's the fun in that?

I never clicked on that choice before so I somehow missed it, and I played every version since 0.65a, interesting.

Now I can fix my apogee, I feel good again.