Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What determines which ships allied AI fleets will deploy in battle?  (Read 4396 times)

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile

Whatever it is, it seems to be broken, because they will absolutely never deploy capitals, only deploy a couple of cruisers, never deploy more than half combat width, and never reinforce after the initial deployment, even when they've got multiple entire fleets worth of ships in reserve. Also, they never retreat even when at 0%CR and their ship is busy self-destructing from malfunctions. The enemy AI has none of these problems.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What determines which ships allied AI fleets will deploy in battle?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 01:58:16 PM »

Just tried it out and not seeing any of the behaviors you list, hmm. They deploy capitals etc, deploy reinforcements, and retreat damaged ships (I didn't wait out low CR, though.)

It's possible they wouldn't deploy reinforcements if you end up hogging all the deployment points, since the pool is shared; that's the only thing that comes to mind.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 02:30:33 PM »

I haven't noticed most of these issues, but I do remember once, a pirate fleet ambushed me in hyperspace and I jumped into a system to try and get away, I jumped into a pulsar beam and the pirate caught and engaged me in the beam. I couldn't escape or disengage so I entered the battle. The CR decayed to zero within 30 seconds, the enemy never retreated, and it ended up being a bunch of ships on 0 cr floating around with no engines or weapons, unable to retreat. It's a very specific case, I'm not sure if it's an issue with the AI not retreating on low CR. It might be a good idea to prevent AI from engaging in high CR decay situations.

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 02:48:41 PM »

Hm, that might mean it's an issue with one (or more) of the mods I'm using. :-\

Algro

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 04:35:42 PM »

I've seen some of this happen in my last play through, but it was quite specific as well.  The is no problem when you aid an ally or have ally's aid you using Nexerlin, but it does happen when you begin a battle and your ally chooses their ships after you. Out of lets say 100 deployment points you use 40, your ally would use 30-40 sending smaller ships to aid your fight. When you and your ally are in serious trouble (I lost all my ships hoping for their capital to come rescue me), then they would send their main force.

Really realistic approach in using your allies in combat for an AI... but I lost everything and had to watch my ally finish off the enemy team. Donno if it needs the attention because its quite a (although not fun), interesting situation to be in.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 05:09:23 PM »

Hm, that might mean it's an issue with one (or more) of the mods I'm using. :-\

What mods? And as far as I know, no mods will affect such things.

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 11:10:57 PM »

Most of them. I'll see if I can set up a good situation to show off the issue tomorrow and post a save.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 12:08:54 AM »

If it helps, I believe Nemonaemo has had similar problems (at least regarding allies/enemies having very strange deployment choices) in his last series or two of Starsector.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 07:52:49 AM »

I have also seen this happen, occasionally, along with some rather-cowardly behavior on behalf of "allies", where they'll deploy and then auto-retreat before we've even really gotten engaged.  Can't pin it down, though, and I've never asked the game to give me debug data to tell me what's going on with the ally's Admiral AI.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »

I have also seen this happen, occasionally, along with some rather-cowardly behavior on behalf of "allies", where they'll deploy and then auto-retreat before we've even really gotten engaged.  Can't pin it down, though, and I've never asked the game to give me debug data to tell me what's going on with the ally's Admiral AI.

Can confirm, once an allied fleet decided to retreat before the forces even met.