Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Website Bug/Outdated: Unable to purchase the game  (Read 3446 times)

Saberuneko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Website Bug/Outdated: Unable to purchase the game
« on: November 19, 2017, 07:14:39 AM »

Greetings,

I have interest in acquiring a license for the game, (and potentially, additional ones to gift to some friends that will likely enjoy it), but the current payment method in place is not accepting my debit card. It is asking me for a verification code method that has become obsolete several years ago for my bank (so it literally does not exist anymore). Can you assist me on acquiring a copy? This project looks really promising and I would like to support you!

I do not seem to have this problem when trying to purchase from certain platforms like Steam/GOG, so I was curious to know if the game may get released in any of these once completed. If that is the case, I might wait until then so I can purchase it there to work around the current technical problem.

If you know about a different alternative that I can use, please let me know and I will try that one.

Regards!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:23:38 AM by Saberuneko »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Website Bug/Outdated: Unable to purchase the game
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »

Hi - I'm sorry about the trouble!

Would you mind sending an email to cservice [at] bmtmicro [dot] com and letting them know about the specific issue? They're the payment processor I'm using and I'm guessing they'd be happy to know about the issue.

Are any of the other payment methods available (i.e. PayPay or a pre-paid card) an option for you? I'm afraid that going through the order form is the only way I'm able to sell the game.

As far as Steam etc - I think I'd like to do that eventually (though Steam is becoming less and less appealing as time goes by), but in any case, it would not be soon. I'd like the game to be much nearer to completion, if not finished, before doing that.

Saberuneko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 09:49:07 AM »

Hello Alex,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I will contact bmtmicro as advised to see if they can provide support.
PayPal could likely be an alternative but it tends to charge additional fees per transfer, which I would like to avoid if possible.
If the problem with my debit card cannot be sorted out, I will definitely consider PayPal for purchase.

I certainly understand why Steam may be unappealing for most indie devs lately, from what I could see, DRM+region restrictions are giving lots of issues lately with that service as well, which may end up hurting sales. (Reminds me that I am actually unable to gift the games to friends abroad due to the new Steam policies)

GOG could be a handy option for release (they seem to be less restrictive, at least from what I could see from the customer-side of the service)

Keep up the good work at this project, from what I could see, the game has strong potential and is already very promising in its current state. I wish you good luck with its development :)

I will let you know how the contact with bmtmicro went.

Regards!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 10:25:21 AM »

PayPal could likely be an alternative but it tends to charge additional fees per transfer, which I would like to avoid if possible.
If the problem with my debit card cannot be sorted out, I will definitely consider PayPal for purchase.

I just double-checked, and if you select PayPal in the order form's dropdown and then sign in, it doesn't appear to add any extra PayPal-related fees. I didn't actually go through with an order, but got to the point right before.

I certainly understand why Steam may be unappealing for most indie devs lately, from what I could see, DRM+region restrictions are giving lots of issues lately with that service as well, which may end up hurting sales. (Reminds me that I am actually unable to gift the games to friends abroad due to the new Steam policies)

GOG could be a handy option for release (they seem to be less restrictive, at least from what I could see from the customer-side of the service)

Keep up the good work at this project, from what I could see, the game has strong potential and is already very promising in its current state. I wish you good luck with its development :)

Thank you, and thank you for your understanding, as well!

Saberuneko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:06:38 PM »

Hello again,

I have gotten in touch with BMT Customer Service, and I am sad to inform that their reply has been unsatisfactory for me.

I fail to understand why I can not perform the payment the same way as I would do with other services I use, seems like this additional step is required with BMT, and my only alternative is to set up a double-factor authentication, which involves my mobile phone. In the environment where I live, this device is the most exposed to potential theft, therefore, I will definitely not put my financial information at risk by setting this up for a single payment. (Other services never asked me for this additional code)

It is a shame that this circumstance is complicating an otherwise simple transaction, I will try with the PayPal alternative as soon as I get some time to set it up.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:09:00 PM by Saberuneko »

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 07:35:51 AM »

Setting up 2FA will not put your financial information at increased risk; if someone stole your phone it wouldn't help them at all unless they ALSO stole your password/etc, which they would need to do even if you didn't use 2FA. That's the entire point of 2FA: it *increases* security.

Saberuneko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »

I often bring my debit card in my wallet, if someone were to assault me to take what I usually carry, both the card and the phone would be in their hands. The card has that security code printed on its backside, if they take my phone as well, they would have access to the two factors that allow the usage of the card online.

The previous method I had available involved an additional card with an array of codes that would always stay at home, therefore, even if my card would be stolen, it still would be impossible to use it online. Unfortunately, this method has been considered obsolete and cannot be renewed.

For this new two factor auth to be safe, I would need to have an additional cell phone that always stays at home, or to never carry my debit card with me, which would mostly defeat its purpose as a payment method for non-online transactions.

Anyhow, I already consider the debit card as a non-feasible option for this transaction, so I will opt for the PayPal option, which I will charge with direct cash loading as soon as feasible for me.

Regards
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:51:17 PM by Saberuneko »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 04:23:35 PM »

Thank you for the update and for giving it a shot! My apologies that they didn't get it resolved as far as using a debit card.

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 06:23:13 PM »

All I'm saying is, 2FA *cannot* reduce security. At worst, it's the same as without it, but in many situations it increases security.

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 07:35:31 PM »

All I'm saying is, 2FA *cannot* reduce security. At worst, it's the same as without it, but in many situations it increases security.
I will assume you have not bothered to read the counterexample just posted.  (There are only two ways I can roleplay writing the above quotation.  That is the least personally insulting one.)

This particular choice of second factor requires giving up security.  (The database containing the mobile phone #, etc. will be compromised eventually.  That's a calculated risk in its own right.)

The problem, is that this second factor (phone) is highly correlated to the first (credit card): it is indeed almost no better than 1FA.  So this particular 2FA is a net security reduction (the new database compromise risk overwhelms the second factor).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 07:37:17 PM »

Let's not have an off-topic-ish discussion in this subforum, please.

Saberuneko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »

Hello again!

PayPal option has worked! Thank you very much for the assistance and my apologies for the complications. :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »

No worries, thank you for your support! Glad you worked it out :)