Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: killable mec officer  (Read 1963 times)

ioci

• Ensign
    • View Profile
killable mec officer
« on: March 12, 2018, 12:01:00 AM »

hi,
killable mec officer, or even lvl up with random skills.
it may make the end game more unique, otherwise the same mec officers will follow you to the end of the save file. and the same combination skill set for the certain type of ship just makes them looks like an extra skill tree for the ship, not a living companion.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: killable mec officer
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 03:54:46 AM »

No.  I do not want to replace and grind for more officers.  I want "the same mec officers will follow you to the end of the save file."  Not losing officers is a good anti-frustration feature.  Though I suppose game reloading could fix that.  (I sometimes use inferior ships and weapons that I do not want to use because I do not feel like reloading games the moment I take casualties).  I already reload games ruthlessly to force the skills I want on my officers to learn so that I do not need to fire them for learning a bad skill that ruins them.

Plus, if officers can be lost in combat, then losing your character in combat for permadeath should be on too.  That could be something for Ironman.

ioci

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:00:05 PM »

Plus, if officers can be lost in combat, then losing your character in combat for permadeath should be on too.  That could be something for Ironman.

Agree, a little bit of “rogue like element” would be fun. I play the ironman mode in almost every game that offer this option.
Spawning in a random system after the fleet destroyed with a brand new sheep is kinda strange.
An EVE like clone backup will be as well an solution. That the player can pay a clone center a bunch of credits to backup himself or his merc officers. And they will only spawn near the clone center. But maybe this option won't fit the background story of the game. So a permadeath will do, as always.

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 12:56:37 PM »

I want "the same mec officers will follow you to the end of the save file."  Not losing officers is a good anti-frustration feature.  ....

While I was very disappointed that losing in combat was not permadeath without savefile cheating, I'm also used to playing roguelikes.  Starsector is clearly not meant to be played as a roguelike, so I would be strongly inclined to "fix" the officer skill selection stiuation in the base game.

As for the OP: already implemented in Nexerelin.

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 11:42:31 PM »

Seems like one of those options that could be decided on game creation: Ironman Mode, Beginner Tips, Officer Mortality.