Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Is it me? or am I always sucking down supplies and fuel?  (Read 17321 times)

Typo91

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Is it me? or am I always sucking down supplies and fuel?
« on: November 08, 2017, 06:02:06 AM »

I try to play the game everytime there is an update.

Seems that even getting a decent fleet always gets to the point where I am ALWAYS fighting supplies and fuel, cutting in the profits constantly.

I mean i get the mechanic and all, also it hasn't really stopped me from getting to the point where i have lots of money.   

But to combat the problem I often drop most of my ships off at my abandoned outpost, and try to take smaller fleets or just a few big ships.

Having said all that, it still feels like I am just constantly fighting draining supplies and fuel, its to the point where the entire game, every move involves being solely based how much fuel and supplies I have... exploring the deep space seems out of the question considering if you arn't going out to get more money to buy more fuel and more supplies you are going to go broke.

It just gets a little old... always chasing that supply and fuel drain every turn....

Could rename the game to StarSupplies.

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is it me? or am I always sucking down supplies and fuel?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 06:17:27 AM »

I try to play the game everytime there is an update.

Seems that even getting a decent fleet always gets to the point where I am ALWAYS fighting supplies and fuel, cutting in the profits constantly.

I mean i get the mechanic and all, also it hasn't really stopped me from getting to the point where i have lots of money.  

But to combat the problem I often drop most of my ships off at my abandoned outpost, and try to take smaller fleets or just a few big ships.

Having said all that, it still feels like I am just constantly fighting draining supplies and fuel, its to the point where the entire game, every move involves being solely based how much fuel and supplies I have... exploring the deep space seems out of the question considering if you arn't going out to get more money to buy more fuel and more supplies you are going to go broke.

It just gets a little old... always chasing that supply and fuel drain every turn....

Could rename the game to StarSupplies.

I have never problem with supplies or fuel.
I have always with me a tanker / freighter.
If you have a capital ship, you will need to have a tanker capital ship for go very far, not the same for the supply, but with the tanker capital, you can put a freighter capital.

For a bounty of 150 000, i have many cruisers, 1 tanker cruiser, 1 freighter cruiser and before to go on the bounty, i look the fuel needed than i multiple per 2.5f. For the supply, on this level, i can have 600 supplie. (But who increase very fast to 1000 if you have two capitals ships.)
When i come back on a market, i have always many supplies(for 1000 supply, when i return, i have maybe 300/500? Because i have fight two/three fleets with my capital ship) and maybe not for the fuel, but i calcul always to do not buy too. (Like i know than i will win many fuels when i will defeat the bounty fleet.)

I think than you have probably missed a thing. Like buy a tanker freighter or others.
For the money, do not buy supply who cost more than 110 credits/u, same for fuel where 40/u begin to be expensive.

For say, when i begin my game, my first ship than i buy is always a tanker.
And also, you can have many problems of fuel or supply if you take  high-maintenance ship. (I have never phase ship for this reason, they are unusable for go on bounty, for me, except if the ship is overpower and you can go with less ship, so less supply maintenance.)

Look what ships you use, never send more ship than needed on a fight,  if you see a bounty easy to kill, remove all ships who are too good for the bounty or too weak ( for frigate, per exemple, if you have now a capital ship, keep just one or two for pursuit, fast and overpower frigate, like SO lasher, than you never send except for that. Put all frigates on your stockage)

Many tips than i cannot explain because i explain badly, but a guy out soon a very good guide for that. Or go on the discord for be helped ^^.

Small tips:
-for the same reason, put the battle size to minimum, for small battle, so you need to send less ship, so less supply recovery.
-Never send two capitals ships for a bounty where the boss ship is a cruiser, this is very idiot. ^^
-Warning with many mods, they have sometimes high cost on fuel or supply maintenance!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:27:00 AM by Snrasha »
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 08:38:57 AM »

I think if supplies/fuel were only consumed when the player did something, rather than constantly draining from maintenance/travel, then they would be much easier to manage intellectually.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »

I never felt supply was a problem, it was annoying to hit stuff like hyperspace storm where it's basically a drain on your money. But just having alot of enemies makes them basically delivery packages that comes to you. Even when deploying 200pts of fleet often you can salvage enough to not only make up supplies lost in combat, also fuel. Occasional ship lost is just replaced by scavenged ones after combat. The only thing that stops my rampage short is when crew starts dropping from 3k to 2k.

This is mostly from playing an combat-less skill playthrough, though once nearing the end, you'll end up picking up combat skills anyways.

Typo91

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 04:10:23 PM »

I've been playing since the game was called Starfarer.  and it used to be a lot worse...

And yes i've tried using Cargo Capital and Fuel Tankers....  In fact at one point i was just driving around with my Onslaught and 3 other support ships... but still feels like I can't go too far from port because Fighting all the time even with salvaging skills and fuel conservation skills, still seems to feel like the clock is always running out on my supplies, and fuel gets expensive if you want to go far.

I dunno, just sucks to have a big fleet, and gets REALLY expansive to go around after really big bounties.   Much less explore the unknown and be ready for large Alien who knows what.

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 09:30:54 PM »

I know than a guy for 6 capitals ships, qew cruiser and 2 frigate have 10 capital ship tanker and 10 capital freighter, you need found a balance i suppose ^^. And yeah, for me this is logic than on a bounty of 150 000 credits, you win on reality, just 50 000, with the cost for go here and come back. I have really no idea why this is hard for you.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Typo91

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 03:12:15 PM »

well not that its hard....

But you gota be planning that next Supply pickup and watch that fuel. 

Like you're hooked on that sweet crack supply.   And everything you do, from stepping into a cloud to fighting just makes to suck down those supplies faster! 

I just dont like the mechanic.  I think there has to be a better way.  What about a ship that grinds up all ships you kill and creates new supplies from scrap?

Why not a ship that manufactures new supplies from metal plates or something?  Why not the ability to break components down and make supplies from the parts?

Why not break things down more.... Like Food for the crew, and supplies almost dont drain unless you need repairs....  and Food you can farm by finding any planet that has life?

And the ability to make fuel by having certain ships/mods and being near gas giants/stars ?

How about some of those apples?

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 04:11:42 AM »

Supplie is technically for me:
Food/processor/computer/scissor, etc
So technically, we cannot create them, because they are else just "Food" or just "Others important resources"
Supplies is just a simplification for the game for me.

Before, we have ammo to buy for each ship, for each type of weapon, now they have dissapears, why?  For the same reason than this is horrible to  planning if too many fights!

But you gota be planning that next Supply pickup and watch that fuel.

Like you're hooked on that sweet crack supply.   And everything you do, from stepping into a cloud to fighting just makes to suck down those supplies faster!
The game, for me, is a  planification game, if you dislike these, i think you need to play to a others game, or just mission  ^^.

Have just the fuel, the supply and  maybe the CR to planning are very less than any others survivals game where we need to check the food, the water, the exhaution(need to sleep?) with also check if the food is out of date, or dirty water, etc.
Here, all is simple, Supply, food, etc.

If you have read the new Guide for beginner( you are not, yeah, i have see that), i think also than battle for salvage are never worth (on the reality, seems, logic!)
So, we need to keep battle, same for you need to do not go on storm cloud, they are here for busy you. But without, the game is not a exploration game, no?
If you do not need to keep a eye to where you go, just go on a another planet then sleep than your fleet have finish the race...

After, some mod add ship who generate supply or fuel, yeah, but you need others resources for made fuel than just fuel, no? ^^
You need supplie for than all machines continue to work without problem, you need also 1 container for each unit of fuel!
Etc, ok, i made the game worse. But i do not think than you can generate fuel near of Gas Giant because others factions will not like, maybe?

No, i have not idea how explain why your idea are bad, because i have not idea how write that on english (Like i have not idea how write english, maybe?)
But, no, me, i like this mechanic.

Gladiator Society

Arkar1234

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 03:07:27 AM »

I've been playing since the game was called Starfarer.  and it used to be a lot worse...

And yes i've tried using Cargo Capital and Fuel Tankers....  In fact at one point i was just driving around with my Onslaught and 3 other support ships... but still feels like I can't go too far from port because Fighting all the time even with salvaging skills and fuel conservation skills, still seems to feel like the clock is always running out on my supplies, and fuel gets expensive if you want to go far.

I dunno, just sucks to have a big fleet, and gets REALLY expansive to go around after really big bounties.   Much less explore the unknown and be ready for large Alien who knows what.

Do you find yourself deploying ALL your ships all the time? If so.. don't

I'm playing a DiableAvionics playthrough right now and... holy hell their ships are supply hogs. Yet even with that, it's not too hard to manage. I have two Mealstroms, 2 Hazes, A Storm, A gust, and a 5 destroyers + 4 Versant Frigates in my fleet... and Just a simple supply cruiser and fuel tanker is enough.

Hell, I even have to dump extra supplies because of all the excess at times... The trick is to stock up reserves at your "main" base and go for highpaying but reasonably close bounties.
Somewhere... somehow... some when.... there's a Kantai Collection mod for Starsector.....

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 05:12:19 AM »

While that can be useful, sometimes the best thing to do is deploy all and win quickly with overwhelming force, because you may spend less resources with all ships recovering a little bit of CR than either few ships recovering all CR and/or replacing lost ships because you lacked sufficient force to prevent the enemy from killing your ships.  This is especially true when you fight equal or superior enemy forces.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 06:45:51 AM »

While that can be useful, sometimes the best thing to do is deploy all and win quickly with overwhelming force, because you may spend less resources with all ships recovering a little bit of CR than either few ships recovering all CR and/or replacing lost ships because you lacked sufficient force to prevent the enemy from killing your ships.  This is especially true when you fight equal or superior enemy forces.

This is exactly where I am at now in my current campaign. I can't under deploy without having my expensive ships be sniped by overwhelming enemy numbers and if I over deploy I barely or don't make a profit from the engagement.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 10:59:59 AM »

I've never reached a point where bounties don't at least make some profit, even with a full deployment. Maybe if you did a single bounty very far from the core, the fuel cost might add up. I pretty much always make sure that I can get at least two bounties per expedition though. That should guarantee profit. Carriers with interceptors also help a lot to ensure you don't loose ships. I also try to avoid bringing capital ships whenever possible, in vanilla you pretty much don't need them unless you're fighting a paragon or a battle station. Also being careful to avoid storms and other dangerous terrain makes a big difference. You lose a lot of valuable supplies that way.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 11:41:11 AM »

Ever since bounties automatically scaled with character level, and player levels up fast early in the game, it is quite possible for bounties to level up more (or perhaps merely be richer) than you during midgame and you cannot catch up.

It is like an RPG that puts overpowered enemies in your way if you try to play through naturally, then you need to wander around grinding easier random encounters for hours before you can grind enough levels and/or money to get strong enough to win.  In Starsector, you may need to do exploration missions before you can afford to bounty hunt, which hurts.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 11:59:23 AM »

I find that for the most part, with my salvaging skills that i make just enough money and salvage enough resources to effectively cover most of my costs. But without making any substantial profit.

At which point you aren't making any real progress in the game towards new ships and gear, merely keeping what you have running. Amusing that you lose nothing. It took me hours to get my first missile cruiser with it's cost and rarity. Losing it in a battle means a reload.

As for bounties, they are a risk that is very very difficult to justify for the most part. They actively spawn away from you, and scale to your level and current fleet. So that's a massive amount of fuel, potentially, to lug out a fleet capable of beating it. Then there is the case of not knowing what you are fighting. Do I save scum the whole journal in case I get to the target only to find out that I didn't bring what I needed? Or possibly even far too much. The command ship is rarely indicative of the fleet. A single falcon with 15 frigates is easy for my cruisers to beat. But A single Falcon and 15 high tech destroyers/carriers? A completely different fight.

It's a risk that I rarely feel like I can afford to make, why go for those long range risky fights when I can assume and observe the usual hegemony patrol fleet around one of their worlds and frequently destroy that instead? A bit of cleaver manoeuvring and fighting enemy defence fleets becomes a skill that I can become better at. Finding better ways of taking out weaker enemy fleets and avoiding the capital ships doom stacks that spawn as a result. Gambling on the results of a bounty seems like a fools game to me.

With salvaging and surveying in the outer systems being a limited resource, RNG to spawn here but not there and a skill requirement to be able to effectively do them. They are good for a burst of cash, but are unsustainable.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 12:27:11 PM »

A quick note here: bounties don't even scale with level until you're above level 10, and at that point it's still quite low. To me it feels like that effect is being more than a bit overestimated.

Do keep in mind that there's going to be a bounty that's significantly above the current bounty-level (and one low-end one); I think maybe running into the high one unexpectedly (perhaps being attracted by its higher payout?) makes people assume that level-scaling is at work when it isn't.
Pages: [1] 2 3