Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Where are Front/Omni Shield Emmiters ?  (Read 2853 times)

Andrius227

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Where are Front/Omni Shield Emmiters ?
« on: December 07, 2017, 05:04:43 AM »

Hey, in earlier versions of the game i was able to get skills that give 'Front Shield Emmiter' and 'Omni Shield Emmiter' hull mods (I think thats what they were called). But now in the latest version i cannot find these hull mods anywhere. Are they completely removed or can i still get them somewhere ?

Squish Cat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Where are Front/Omni Shield Emmiters ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 05:17:44 AM »

You can still get them.  The lastest version changed the way you get hull mods.  You now get a basic set of hull mods and any additional hull mod comes from markets (same with fighter blueprint copies).  You buy them at planets now.  Its some what random what is available at each market and the stock changes each month, but there is a bit of consistency in that certain hull mods will most likely show up in certain faction markets.  I believe some hull mods are exclusive to certain markets.  For shield mods, you're more likely to find them in Tri-Tachyon markets.  You can also unlock certain hull mods through skills, but I believe any mod that is unlocked via a skill can also be found in a market.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:25:36 AM »

Its relevant to point out two others potential sources for hull mods : fighting ennemies who sometimes drop hull mod (related to what there is on their ships) and exploration can give you some nices surprises sometimes.
Depending of your Commission, some Hull Mods can be difficult to obtain from market. (Integrated Targeting Core for example)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 06:32:12 AM »

Some hullmods require commission to buy.  I am not sure about the emitters.  Hardened Shields is definitely one of them, and the easiest way to get that hullmod if you cannot buy it is getting skill Defensive Systems 3.

Converted Hangar is an Open Market buy, if available.  Since no ship uses Converted Hangar in unmodded game, it is not found for sale, and the easiest way to get it is Fighter Doctrine 2.  In modded games that include ships with Converted Hangar, that hullmod is fairly common in Open Market.

Hullmods used by the enemy can be dropped as loot, but that happens rarely.  But it will happen eventually if you farm enemies and fight much.

If you have Salvaging 3, looting research stations (while you have three or four rigs in your fleet), can yield some nice rare loot.

As for what MajorTheRed said, without commission, grinding enemies until one drops is probably the way to get ITU.

P.S.  If you want to buy most of the really nice hullmods that require commission to buy, join either Tri-Tachyon or Persean League.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:35:01 AM by Megas »

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 10:12:02 AM »

I'm a big fan of the Front Shield Emitter but I've found it in less <10% of the games I've played. It seems to have been bumped up into a higher rarity status since 0.8. I guess the could be said of the Omni Shield Emitter but since I don't use it, I don't really keep track of when I find it or don't.

Long story short, I've found ITU more often than the Front Shield Emitter, which I don't think should be the case.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »

Long story short, I've found ITU more often than the Front Shield Emitter, which I don't think should be the case.
Probably because more ships use ITU.

Nearly anything can (and should) use ITU.  Only a few hulls benefit much from Front Shield Emitter.

It is like Hardened Shields.  If I want to get Hardened Shields from a drop, I need to save-scum a fight against a stock Paragon until it drops.