Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New player experience  (Read 7594 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: New player experience
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 04:41:33 AM »

You missed out the affect mothballing has upon fleet burn speed limit, sensor & detection ranges.

It's also not obvious (without actually doing it) what happens to a ship's CR if it is just momentarily mothballed.
As it turns out, toggling mothball has no affect so long as 0 time passes, however if just 1 game tick passes, all CR is lost - not very intuitive or consistent behaviour.

CR of mothballed ships should tick down in the same way a ship without supplies does, or even a little slower, given that the ship is only utilizing its engines.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:46:52 AM by TJJ »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 10:43:36 AM »

7.5 is pretty good for a game that's only 80% complete.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 01:23:42 PM »

You missed out the affect mothballing has upon fleet burn speed limit, sensor & detection ranges.

It's also not obvious (without actually doing it) what happens to a ship's CR if it is just momentarily mothballed.
As it turns out, toggling mothball has no affect so long as 0 time passes, however if just 1 game tick passes, all CR is lost - not very intuitive or consistent behaviour.

CR of mothballed ships should tick down in the same way a ship without supplies does, or even a little slower, given that the ship is only utilizing its engines.

Ah, thanks TJJ. I'd remembered about the CR thing (just didn't mention it because that's shown fairly clearly in the screenshots), but I had forgotten about burn speed and sensor profile/strength stats.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 03:49:50 PM »

I agree, the constant fuel & supply pressure is a bit harsh and never allows you a moment of leisure. I think this could be eased without making the game too easy. It wouldn't touch on combat directly anyway.

That aside, enjoy the learning curve. It's the best part of the game. Soon enough you'll get good and look back fondly at the early days when the west was still wild. Whatever feels too hard now is not going to stay that way.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 04:17:17 PM »

I think that outposts may help this problem because they will (probably) create an independent income source. That might completely change the game in that you no longer have to take actions to directly gain money and resources. Instead you can establish a source of income that supports you and then you are free to do whatever you want although you will likely have to be defending your income constantly. It might completely change the mechanics being discussed here. I have no idea how outposts are actually being implemented though, this is all speculation.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 05:43:04 PM »

I would like outposts to produce my own stuff so I do not need to buy (as much) stuff from other factions, especially if I want to destroy everyone like in Nexerelin.
Pages: 1 [2]