Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crashes while saving  (Read 2446 times)

OBS87

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Crashes while saving
« on: November 02, 2017, 10:35:11 PM »

Hey guys, lately im getting some errors while saving the game. Im on a mac (yeah I know lol) and i get  "Fatal: GC overhead limit exeeded". How do i fix this?

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Crashes while saving
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 01:49:59 AM »

I think that means you need to increase the amount of memory allocated to the JVM via the vmparams file (there should be "-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m" in there somewhere, change the "1024m" in both to "2g").

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 07:37:01 AM »

Yep got the same problem, with time as you progress in the game your saves take more and more time to save, until the software freeze.
Follow the indication of NightKev. There is also this post which explain a little bit more :
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726

(There was another one about java-64 but cannot found it. Also I don't know how it's usefull for mac...)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »

Moving this to modded support since I'm assuming you're playing the game with mods (since I haven't heard about this issue cropping up w/o mods), it would probably help to see your mod list. And, yeah, you need to allocate more memory if you haven't already in either case, mods or not, though I'd be a bit surprised if you're running into this sans mods.

(There was another one about java-64 but cannot found it. Also I don't know how it's usefull for mac...)

You don't need to change the version of Java anymore - the game now comes with 64-bit Java on 64-bit platforms.

Hadesdarklord

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 09:49:53 AM »

I was having this issue, and it turns out it was because I did not have 64bit Java installed on my Windows 10 PC.

Microsoft (and Java/Oracle) REALLY want you to use 32bit Java, and you need hunt down and install the 64 bit version.  Oh, and don't forget to enable it through the Java Control Panel.

Wolf