Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.9.1a is out! (05/10/19); Blog post: Raiding for Fun and Profit (11/27/19)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I’m working on a game, finally.  (Read 10304 times)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I’m working on a game, finally.
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 12:04:00 PM »

Just finding this thread and wanted to say: Awesome. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for shameless self-promotion.  :)

Nice work.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 02:44:19 AM »

I look forward to a progress update :D
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2018, 05:53:33 PM »

Ah, well, that's good, I hope to have something to show... soon-ish.  Been really busy with the rest of my life this last month but I'm still tooling away on this when I can :)
Check out my SS projects :)

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2019, 06:45:04 PM »

<GIANT NECRO>

Hey, for everybody who was vaguely interested in this... I've got an update, finally.

Progress on this game came to a rather-abrupt halt last year, due to two things; life in general (my life last year had a lot of moving parts) and some technical issues.  I hit a wall on certain aspects of pathfinding / path-following that really required some lengthy attention to address. 

I actually built another game core (shades of the now-apparently-cancelled The Last Night) while mulling it over; that may turn into another game someday. 

But this fall, sans serious distractions, I sat down with this again, tackled the pathfinding / path-following problems, moved forward on a lot of the other issues, and well, here we are. 

The screenshots won't really look a whole lot different; the core rendering approach with lights and suchlike looks pretty similar (but there have been a lot of small improvements under the hood), but the game's substantially closer to working like it should.  The pathfinder I've developed really performs nicely and should offer good support for lots of nasty critters on the screen!

The UI's being worked on right now.  I'm hoping I'll have something that I can show a little demo of sometime this year.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2019, 05:30:12 PM »

I think I'm about done working on the lighting system.  The light in the top right is dynamic.  Note the translucency of the glass.

A lot of other things are now either done or getting there rapidly.  Objects are destroyable, enemies have more-like-final graphics and systems, I built a particle system to do fancy FX with (sometimes I feel like my whole experience of developing games revolves around particle systems, lol).
Pages: 1 2 [3]