Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Flickering on a GTX 960 with latest drivers.  (Read 27951 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Flickering on a GTX 960 with latest drivers.
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2016, 03:55:30 PM »

Why don't we move this to general or discussions?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2016, 04:03:36 PM »

Was thinking to move it but didn't occur to move to "discussions" and it didn't seem to belong in "general". Good call.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2016, 04:19:17 PM »

And how many flawless graphics drivers have you gotten your hands on lately? ;D

Flawless graphic drivers don't exist, they're flawless with a list of specific games. Nowadays you'd almost need different drivers for different games you want to play.

However, the drivers I'm currently using are used by a lot of people, and one other person on this forum, also using the same GPU, although a more powerful version with more VRAM.

Also, the fact that the same exact issue appears in all the versions available for my GPU means it can't be the drivers or tons of people would be complaining.

But again, I also agree that a hardware issue seems less likely considering what the issue is, and me also having experienced several GPU failures before and knowing what they usually look like. This one is very specific and doesn't have any other issue linked to it.

Then again, the problem was here on a fresh system with no software that could interfere, which also means that a hardware issue isn't completely excluded.

Can you transplant the graphics card into another machine? (or another into the problem machine?)

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2016, 09:40:05 PM »

No, I don't have another GPU available, and no other "complete" PC either. This would have been a lot easier to solve had that been the case. Well not "solve" necessarily, but at least pinpoint the issue.

Guess we've listed all possible solutions now. I'll update the thread if I have good news, or if my GPU finally dies for good (which in this case would actually be a good thing).

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2016, 11:37:08 PM »

normally when there is a random consistent nonsensical glitch i do a complete reinstall

just nuke and pave!

I find windoze installs 'bad' far more often than a driver or a software package does.
Ive had errors where only 1 game causes a blue screen etc. reinstalling windoze fixes your described type of error more often than not.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2016, 09:16:45 PM »

Sounds like you might be comfortable with Linux, you could boot a whole linux OS from DVD (so you don't have to format) and then try running SS though that.  If the artifacts still happen, then it's a hardware issue. If not, probably format-reinstall time. :/

Salient

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 06:15:26 PM »

Was this ever resolved? I have a very similar issue with my 1060 8GB card. This is the only game having the flickering issue. I'm on win10 using default settings.

rashiakas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2017, 12:44:27 AM »

I also experience heavy flickering from time to time, got a 1070 on Win10. Only happens in SS.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]