Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: [0.96a] Stop Gap Measure - Ships for Vanilla - v1.2.4 Balancing  (Read 348444 times)

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Stop Gap Measure - Ships, weapons and worlds for Vanilla
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2018, 09:55:03 AM »

@stormbringer951
thanks for the feedback. For the charged laser, I want a weapon with a little bit more of punch per shot and higher range than pulse laser, with the obvious feeling that this is an old weapon with many drawback. Here is a suggestion to fix it : cost 12 OP instead of 9, range drop to 750, turn rate quite diminished, and if necessary, adjust rate of fire and/or damage per shot to lower its dps.
I find the exercice quite difficult: making new weapons, not broken, not useless, with more of a niche role in comparison to vanilla one.

@Sarissofoi
Thanks for checking, I will ask Alex about that.

For the coilgun: I will look to change in name. Now I give a new look at it, it looks like more like a railgun in reality... because , well, it has rails on each side....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 02:38:19 PM by MajorTheRed »

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Stop Gap Measure - Ships for Vanilla
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »

I see the Starblazer has a D-mod (Damaged Flight Deck). Ships that have D-mods don't show up in the codex - it's hard coded into the game as such. Not rightly sure why, but the same thing came up just the other day in the Discord.

Out of interest, why does it have Damaged Flight Deck?

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2018, 08:24:19 PM »

Quick answer: its effect in-game mimic what I intended for the ship : a civilian design unable to replace fast enough fighter losses. Now you mentioned it, I wonder if it would not be better with a Converted Hangar hullmod instead. Yeah I think it is what I had in mind.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2018, 02:16:51 AM »

Definitely go for Converted Hangar. For a start, it makes more general sense, and is often used in that way already. Second, you can't Restore it away as you could with Damaged Flight Deck. D-mods should be restricted only to actual damaged vessels, as opposed to "vessels that need a nerf".

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »

Small fix (v0.62)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lstl934h3b2il8p/Stop_Gap_Measure_v0.62.rar/file

List of changes:
-Starblazer has Converted Hangar instead of Damaged Deck. IT should now show up in the Codex. Thanks to AxleMC131 for helping on this one!
-Saturation launcher: changed behavior, the IA should not be launching it stupidly now (need to be verified)
-Charged Laser: OP increased to 11, higher flux/shot, slightly decreased damage/shot, worst turn rate

DinoZavarski

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2018, 05:01:46 AM »

Try "Solenoid Gun" perhaps. A solenoid is basically the primitive form of a railgun or gauss gun (using an electromagnetic field to move an object), just usually without the "gun" bit.

It seems that recently it is quite common for people to have no knowledge what is the difference between railgun and coilgun.

"Solenoid" is how you call each separate coil in a coilgun/gauss cannon - those weapons use series of solenoids, activated in sequence to "drag" magnetically sensitive projectile (Actually in some implementations the just passed by coil swaps polarity for a while to add "push". Those require projectile with own magnetic field.). To maximize the effectiveness of this process recently computer control of each coil based on active feedback for the acceleration process is used.

The "projectile" that coilgun launches has to have decent magnetic sensitivity, but otherwise there are little limitations. There is no need to make it conductive, or heat and friction resistant, as it is in a state of magnetic levitation during the launch process. Actually there is not even a necessity to use solid object - acceleration of plasma or even particles are common applications for a coilgun (yes, cyclotrons are technically coilguns to).

Compared to this railguns are pretty simple devices, they consist of two rails, connected by a conductive projectile. When rails are powered the current that passes thru the projectile generates magnetic field that constantly pushes the projectile (practically the railgun is open cycle linear electric motor). This means that aside from being magnetically sensitive railgun projectiles have to be highly resistant to heat and friction. The power loses due to those heat and friction also lead to low energy efficiency.

So basically coilguns have good flexibility, cost and energy efficiencies, but are large and complex to build (so complex, that we still can't build a military grade one). As for railguns - they are cost and energy inefficient, but allow you to bruteforce (more power, stronger materials) most problems to reach practical implementation. Each industrial age technical or iron age magical civilization should be able to implement them as weapons.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:06:32 AM by DinoZavarski »
Me no know, me no understand, me just root...

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2018, 05:54:47 PM »

... Wow. I just got an education.  :D

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »

I can't help but notice this isn't in the mod index.  It'd be nice if it was, as I didn't even know it existed until now.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »

You're completey right. I never thought about asking, mostly because I never envisioned this mod to be "meaningful". It's aim to a quiet small audience (small computer, vanilla extended, no new factions, lore-driven) and at the time I started releasing it AxleMC131's mod was doing a great job in itself to expend vanilla. The other reason is I'm not sure the mod index is still up to date.

lechibang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2018, 08:40:25 PM »

When will we get an update of 0.9a for this one?
Do it yourself, as people always say.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2018, 11:58:16 AM »

Ill try to do it for mid-december. Quite busy at work, but it should not be a huge work, mostly market which need some work and some clean up about pirate ships...
Also, I want to add a few more ships (a cruiser, two destroyers,) a wing and a couple weapons with this release

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2018, 01:21:43 PM »

New version available for 0.9a

https://www.mediafire.com/file/cogry7m15fe7ebo/Stop_Gap_Measurev0.71.rar/file

Nothing incredible, mostly making the game works with the new version.

There will probably be some twiking to make everything work as intended, and I plan to add a few new ships before 2019.

Tei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Stop Gap Measure - Ships for Vanilla
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2018, 07:00:58 PM »

This is odd, the link works fine, but I cant seem to extract it.

CaptainWinky

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2018, 11:13:55 PM »

Works for me using 7zip.

fgjk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2018, 08:35:45 AM »

I had issues with 7zip and had install / use winrar to extract it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17