Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Extra Bombers Launched  (Read 1824 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Extra Bombers Launched
« on: October 13, 2017, 07:48:38 PM »

I was so shocked earlier when I first saw this, I didn't even react in time to slap the space bar and pause for a screenshot. Luckily I was able to reproduce it.

Below you can see an Odyssey with 3 Khopeshs out at once from one fighter bay. I've seen it on other carriers too. The conditions that cause it seem to be one bomber dies or gets back before the other, and two new bombers launch before the other one lands.

Spoiler
[close]

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Extra Bombers Launched
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 07:57:54 PM »

I believe this occurs due to how bombers are treated as "dead" when they use up their payloads - you'll see their icon go dim in the UI at the bottom of the screen when they're out of strike ordnance. In this case, either the fighter will get back to the ship and reload, or it'll be intercepted and destroyed, and the ship will have to make a new one.

But here's the kicker!

The moment the bomber launches its payload and is treated as "dead", the carrier starts building its replacement. I think that when a bomber returns empty and lands, it isn't technically being rearmed, it's just triggering a rapid speed-build of the craft under construction to replace it (which then is launched shortly after to give the illusion of a speedy rearming of the previous fighter).

Therefore, if a bomber is detained long enough (by the carrier moving away, the fighter being EMP'd, or otherwise kept out of reach of its carrier) that it's replacement is completed under normal time restraints before it can return to its carrier, you'll see the event you've encountered there: A new fighter is launched even though the previous one has yet to return.

A fun little glitch (if it is a glitch), though not a gamebreaking one fortunately, since you can't exploit it to have more active (ie. armed) bombers in a wing than normal at any one time.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:02:15 PM by AxleMC131 »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 12:46:28 AM »

I reported that to Alex a while ago and the answer was "working as intended".

In my case the result was a bit weirder since I had a gunship with two different weapons (only one being limited) that could get distracted while returning to rearm. I managed to get four of those in flight at once while they are supposed to be wings of one single fighter...

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 08:39:54 AM »

I suspected it was intended, but a friend encouraged me to post a report.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 08:56:28 AM »

Yep, this is working as intended, but I appreciate the report!

I think that when a bomber returns empty and lands, it isn't technically being rearmed, it's just triggering a rapid speed-build of the craft under construction to replace it (which then is launched shortly after to give the illusion of a speedy rearming of the previous fighter).

That's spot on.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »

I think that when a bomber returns empty and lands, it isn't technically being rearmed, it's just triggering a rapid speed-build of the craft under construction to replace it (which then is launched shortly after to give the illusion of a speedy rearming of the previous fighter).

That's spot on.

;D Sherlock Homes is on the case!