Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: weapon covers  (Read 792 times)

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
weapon covers
« on: July 14, 2020, 03:04:14 AM »

partially covered weapons are a thing in several mods, and they look cool
unfortunately, making that involves setting up another separate deco weapon with separate sprite and putting it in a separate slot. i'd imagine it's not really optimal in terms of computing resources and deco weapons are a valid target for any emp arc targeting the ship, so it directly affects game balance as well.
fortunately, we already have an existing system of weapon slot covers
unfortunately, those are only rendered when said slot is empty, and are defined on a per-hull-style basis

therefore suggestion:
add option to do override weapon slot cover sprite on a per-slot basis and option to force show slot cover when slot is not empty
ideally, have two optional lines for each slot:
emptySlotCoverSprite:"..."
filledSlotCoverSprite:"..."

and maybe even an option to override facing angle of slot cover too...

Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: weapon covers
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 08:05:22 AM »

So, in other words, you're talking about retractable weapons?  Interesting.  Adds another hotkey to worry about but increases the tactical flexibility of each ship.  I'd be curious to test such a mod.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 09:21:54 AM »

I think you buried the lede a bit, which is that EMP arcs target decorative slots - a bug! Fixed that up, thank you for mentioning it :)

(The other idea is... a bit more complicated than it initially seems, so I can't just knock it out in a couple of minutes.)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 10:25:56 AM »

Does this mean that having more weapons will spread out EMP damage more making it less likely any individual weapon goes offline?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 12:01:16 PM »

This is about EMP *arcs* specifically and what they target. But since they apply damage at a target point and the area around it (like normal hits do), EMP damage isn't "spread out". But, say, if there's a decorative weapon with nothing near it, the EMP damage of an arc targeting it would be wasted. On the other hand, if the decorative weapon is right on top of a regular weapon, then it wouldn't matter which one is targeted, since the point at which damage is applied would be the same.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 12:24:56 PM »

But it would double the odds of the weapon being targeted, and make it possible for the weapon to effectively arc to itself.