Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fleet Building, How do you usually do it and why?  (Read 13707 times)

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet Building, How do you usually do it and why?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 11:25:08 PM »

Well, currently I have a fleet with 3 Nevermores (there's a fourth I recently put into storage because perhaps having a 4 Nevermore fleet is a bit much, even if it is my favorite ship...) because I am far too reckless and constantly get blown up, and it's 2kCr cheaper to buy a new Nevermore than to remove the D-mod (which seems a bit silly but whatever); with my flagship currently being the 0-series (maybe the extra range on the Raze Cannon will help...). I've got a bunch of fighter support with a Kuramaja, Convergence and a Typheus (the latter two having pretty much their entire OP allotment put towards some very expensive fighters + fighter-related hullmods). I've got a mix of destroyers (including, but not limited to, a Calm, a Sunder (U), a Sunder (WRD), the Fracture IBB ship, a Hammerhead, my original flagship Desdinova (which is more like a mini-cruiser than a destroyer I suppose), and a couple others I forget right now (there also used to be a Scorpion but this time it was the AI that suicided into the middle of the entire enemy fleet, and I wasn't able to recover it)). I used to have a few frigates but they all blew up, and I haven't bothered to get any more because they don't seem necessary to me (maybe I've been using them wrong though?). At this point I think with another capital, cruiser and a couple more destroyers I'll be good.

PS: I bet you can't guess what faction is my favorite ;)

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »

Ah so sustained burn didn't change that then?
Shoot was hoping to have burn-9's composition flexibility. :I

S-burn lowers your sensor range and increase your sensor profile, ALOT. Basically, you can't see anyone but everyone can see you.

I've been killed multiple times running S-Burn in hostile systems. A fleet that e-burns towards you from a tangential vector is almost guarranteed to catch you if you are s-burning. More often than not, its better to air on the side of caution and fly normal in hostile systems. Also, with 10 burn, you basically can't ever be caught because most threatening fleets fly at 9 burn.

Grizzlyadamz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 04:34:29 AM »

Looking to build a small-footprint burn-10 omnivalent fleet (mining/salv/surv/smuggling).

Anyone have tips or ship recommendations?
Lotsomods loaded.

Here's what I've got so far, preferred ships on the left & alternatives to the right
(Support Fleet:)
Spoiler
Hawkmoth/Megaceras+Chinook/Dram-A x3
Tereshkova/Lynx-S
Cetonia/Mule-M/Lodestar/Pala-L x2
Katrina x2/Shepherd x2
Spectacle/Shalaika

Stats for first-choice fleet---
Profile/Sensor: 150/345
Fuel: ~11/jump
Supplies: ~52/month (1.75/d)
Surveying: 15
Salv: 20
Mining: ???

Storage: 935
Min/Max Crew: 188/416
Fuel: 1870
[close]

Too much/not enough?

Meanwhile on the combat side I'm looking to get:
2 Destroyers (assault+support)
1 fleet-support frigate (EMP weapons, maneuverable, long operating time)
1 Hunter-killer frigate (chasing & small skirmishes, able to burst down targets quickly)
1 Heavy frigate (drawing fire/solo survivor/mini-destroyer)

Here's my notes.
Shipname (importantaugs Mburn/consumption supplies storage/mincrew/fuel) mod
(Frigates)
Spoiler
Dram-A (9/1 2s 15/5/300)
Katrina (SALV/Bay 9/1 4s 75/15/120) DI-RE
Laminar (Surv 9/0.75 2s 75/5/40) DIABL
Leaf (CIV/Surv/automated 11/0.08 0.01s 5/0/50) NOMAD
Omen (Surv/ECCM 10/1 5s 30/10/20)
Shalaika (Sens/Surv 11/0.9 2s 60/10/60) DAS-M
Shear (SALV/DFS 9/4 2s 0/2/8) DIABL
Shepherd (CIV/SALV/Surv/Bay 9/1 3s 100/15/40)
Shepherd-A (Surv/Bay 9/1 3.6s 100/15/40)
Spectacle (Sens/Surv/Bay 10/1 4s 75/10/100) DI-RE

Cerberus (Shielded 10/1 4s 100/20/40)
Farin (Shielded 9/1 2s 100/15/30)
Gladiator-F (9/1 3s 100/10/40)
Hound (Shielded 10/1 3s 75/10/30)
Kobra (alt-hound)
Nautilus (11/1 3s 75/5/50)
Pala (10/1 3s 75/7/60)
Pala-L (Shielded 9/1 4s 125/10/90)
PuddleJumper (CIV 10/1 2.5s 120/16/60)
Wayfarer (10/1 5s 100/25/40)
(All nomad Frigates for storage)
[close]
(Destroyers)
Spoiler
Cetonia (9/3 6s 300/40/150) BRDY
Chinook (9/1.75 5s 30/30/550) DIABL
Flycatcher (Bay 9/1 2s 200/15/100) NOMAD
Komodo (9/2 4s 200/30/150) NOMAD
Leyte (BayBay 9/2 9s 225/32/80) DAS-M
Lodestar (Bay 9/2 6s 240/30/80) DAS-M
Lynx-S (Sens/Surv 9/2 7s 125/25/80)
Megaceras (Sens 9/2 11s 150/25/200) BRDY
Mule-M (Bay/Surv 9/2 7s 250/40/80)
Stratus (9/2 7s 225/55/90) DIABL
Sturmovic-S (SALV 9/3 7s 180/25/75) DI-RE
Tereshkova (Sens/Surv 9/1.5 12s 160/48/180) DAS-M
[close]
(Cruisers)
Spoiler
Elysium (P-sensor 9/1.25 16s 110/75/110) SRA
Falcon (9/3 15s 120/100/100)
Hawkmoth (9/3 22s 250/60/1200) BRDY
Thresher
[close]

Combat brain-storming
Spoiler
Glima (heavy frig)
Inanna (Fleet support)
Lasher DUL (anti-frig frig)
Lepisma (Fleet/Killer)
Locust (killer)
Mod-Silverfish (killer)
Predator (Killer)
Southpaw (Fleet/killer)
Taurus (heavy)
Tempest (Fleet/killer)
Vapor (Fleet/killer)
Vesper (Fleet/heavy/killer ECM)
Yellowjacket (fleet)
Deathblossom (fleet)
Enlil (fleet/heavy/killer)
Hecate (fleet)

Destroyers
Eurypterus
Gonodactylus
Manta
Morningstar
Praetorian
Princeps
Roadrunner
Sargasso
Scorpion
Securi
Snowgoose
Striker
Wanderer
[close]

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 05:26:59 AM »

My question is, when do you need to fly at burn 10?
Basically all the time when you're hostile with every single faction. Having that +1 burn is essential when you basically can't ever be in sensor range.
Ah so sustained burn didn't change that then?
Shoot was hoping to have burn-9's composition flexibility. :I
i'd say SB did change this, just not completely (nor should it). high burn speed is certainly good to have, particularly in early-game, but it's significantly less crucial than it was pre-0.8, where 1 burn more was a huge advantage. i wouldn't wanna add a burn 7 ship to my otherwise burn 9 fleet, for example, but going from 10 to 9 would usually not be a big deal.

both Kite and Shepherd have burn 9, btw, so with the vanilla options, everyone starts the campaign with a burn 9 fleet now. so it would be quite bad if burn 10 was basically required to survive. you probably just don't wanna take a major faction commission right away, if you plan to move through then hostile territory. ^^

S-burn lowers your sensor range and increase your sensor profile, ALOT.
not anymore. 0.8.1a removed the sensor range penalty. it does let other fleets detect you at double the normal range though, yeah.

bowman

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 02:17:19 AM »

The Conquest is my favorite ship so it always forms the core of my late-game fleets, though I have recently gained a liking to the Odyssey now that it got that speed buff. Helps that the Odyssey has a built-in hangar bay, which is what I focus my fleets on.

Fleet comp that I often return to:
1-2x Conquest / 1x Conquest 1x Odyssey, sometimes an Astral depending on what I plan on fighting
2-4x Heron
2x Medusa (Always named Terra and Luna, if anyone cares)
Assorted Wolf (Or Vigilance/Shepherd if I happened to salvage some)
Auxillary (Astral or 1-4x Tarsus, 1-2x Phaeton)

For the frigates, I don't personally care much for them so I don't focus on keeping them in the fleet if they happen to die: I'll take salvaged Wolf/Vig/Shep but I completely ignore Lasher and Hounds. If I happen to be fighting Tri-Tach and salvage higher-tech frigates I'll take those too, though.
My fleet revolves around heavy carrier presence and mobility. The Medusas act as surrogate frigates with far more firepower (any Wolfs are effectively just lower-strength Medusas and are equipped as such) while my flagship (Conquest or Odyssey) draws attention and tears apart anything that strays too close for too long.
For fighters, I equip the carriers with specific roles in mind- strike carriers are Longbow + 2x Khopesh while frigate-killers are 2x Broadsword + Warthog (sometimes Broadsword + Claw + Warthog, Claws can easily disable anything without a large shield so the Warthogs can eviscerate it), harassment or "space superiority" are either 3x Broadsword or a mix of Wasp/Broadsword/Claw. A heron with 3x Wasp is pretty hilarious to watch, though I can't say it really does all that much outside of completely shutting down any hopes the enemy had of a missile landing. My favorite fighter is the Khopesh, followed by Wasp and Claw wings.

If I hit that core fleet comp and keep playing for long enough I just get more Conquests and Herons. If it becomes too costly to fly around with them all, which it generally does given 4 capital ships are serious fuel hogs, I start dumping spares off at whatever market I've made my home- in the storage, that is. I'd never sell those beauties.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:42:45 AM by bowman »

Arkar1234

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 03:36:23 AM »

On my current DA playthrough

• 2 Maelstrom (battle cruisers :2+2 Wanzer decks)
  • 2 Haze (cruisers)
  • 1 Storm (Battle carrier 3 Wanzer decks)
  • 1 Gust (light cruiser 1 Wanzer deck)
  • 2 Fractus (Destroyer sized carrier : 2+2 Wanzer decks)
  • 1 Derecho (ECM Destroyer)
  • 2 Hayles (Attack Destroyers)
  • 2 Calms (Defence Destroyers with a Strife wanzer each)
  • 4 Versant Wanzer Frigates (In squads of 2 they can clean up most destroyers very quickly)
  • 2 Rime supplyships
  • 1 Chinook fuel tanker.

I was attempting to make a very "scalable" fleet composition, allowing for almost any skirmish ranging from small frigate chases to full on fleet battles.
Somewhere... somehow... some when.... there's a Kantai Collection mod for Starsector.....
Pages: 1 [2]