Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Hello, questions before purchase  (Read 2512 times)

jager

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Hello, questions before purchase
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »

Hello, I've accidentally stumbled upon this game and it appears to be quite good as it reminds me of mount and blade in someway. However, how frequent are the updates and will the launcher automatically download them or will I have to manually acquire the files from a message sent to my email? Also, is there a eta on a possible steam release or if there is going to be a steam release anytime soon? Sorry if I confused the thread, I'm new to these types of forums outside of steam. Thanks.

TheBawkHawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, questions before purchase
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:17:12 PM »

Hello, and welcome to the community!

The (major) updates aren't exactly frequent, but they are extremely well done. They usually bring some massive rework or completely new system to the game, are usually bug free (and if they do have bugs, they are all patched out a few days after discovery). The launcher will not automatically download updates (I think). To install the update, simply just download the launcher and re-install the game. Alex (the dev) has stated that he doesn't feel comfortable releasing the game on steam until he feels that it's ready (near or at the final version). So it is on the radar as something he wants to do, just not until he feels that the game is ready.

jager

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 06:25:26 PM »

Hello and thank you for the friendly welcome. Will there be an announcement in the game launcher of a new update or will I need to browse the website every now and again to check for updates? Also, will my key save over after i uninstall and reinstall the entire game? After purchase, will my key be sent through email or a pop up message after purchase? Sorry for the dumb questions, i'm really cautious when it comes to these things. Thanks again for the response.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 06:55:39 PM »

Hey there! First of all welcome to the forums!
No the game launcher won't tell you if there is a new update. However there IS a mod called Version Checker that is supposed to tell you when you boot up the campaign. Also you can sign up for a mailing list that will only contact you when a new update releases IIRC.
Your key is saved to the registry if you have a windows computer so an uninstall and reinstall should not need the key to be reentered.
Your key will be sent to the email that you give BMT Micro so be sure it is a "real" email as if you ever lose your key, they can resend it to that email which they will have on file
Be warned that Alex updates very slowly (around 14 months last time) but his updates are more akin to expansions than most normal updates and are about 98% bug free.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TheBawkHawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 07:06:10 PM »

Be warned that Alex updates very slowly (around 14 months last time) but his updates are more akin to expansions than most normal updates and are about 98% bug free.

Plus it's not all bad that the updates are slow, because they 1) ensure they're amazing and bug free, and 2) gives us time to enjoy all the mods!

jager

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 07:10:25 PM »

Thanks for all the useful responses. I can see the potential steaming out of this game and I'm willing to wait, and mods will surely help alleviate the wait if I grow impatient. Thanks again! ;D

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 07:11:04 PM »

welcome!

you're not wrong about the M&B comparison. the two games are still quite different in many ways, obviously, but "M&B in space" is commonly used when trying to describe the game in as few words as possible. :D

seems your questions have already been answered.. regarding finding out about new releases, i'll just add you can also follow Alex' twitter or use the RSS feed. and all releases can be found on and downloaded from the releases section of the dev blog.

lastly, we have an active discord server where we notify members about new releases, which is also a good place to ask questions or get some beginner tips, if you feel like chatting.