Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Blade Runner 2049 (potential spoilers)  (Read 3450 times)

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
Blade Runner 2049 (potential spoilers)
« on: October 08, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »

Anyone seen it yet? I have and it gripped me and awed me in a way that is so rare to experience in theaters. Advertisements tried to push it as an action film, which it is not. It is slow paced and glorious while maintaining the same delightful spirit of the original all while providing a visual feast for its entirety.

I'd like to know your thoughts.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (potential spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:14:04 AM »

Engrossing thought provoking artistic masterpiece, but not a film I'd watch for enjoyment or pleasure.
The visuals are stunning, and sound design is extremely potent.

I was amazed that:

- It got made!
- It's far darker and more involved than the original.
- It was rated as only a 15! Technically I suppose it ticked the right boxes, but thematically it touches on deeply unsettling topics in a very powerful way.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 11:38:43 PM »

Way better movie then the first was. Everything was 9/10 except for the music.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 07:36:12 AM »

I thought it was a more-involved film than the first one, and the ending was certainly more easily interpreted (and didn't involve somebody finding a dove, magically). 

Visually, it was a treat; it was packed with visual moments that the first movie could only achieve in spots, due to the technology of the day.  I was quite awed by both the cinematography and the handling of color and form in places; there have been many movies since the original that tried to get that feel right, but the sequel not only got it, it surpassed it in many ways.  My favorite younger person quite enjoyed seeing how the visual tricks of light and sharp contrasts to establish forms was employed in both films.

As a film, I felt like it was a little too long; there were several parts I would've left on the cutting-room floor, because they really weren't that important to the story.  The ending was also a bit too pat about making the circle's ends connect for my tastes, but explaining why would involve major spoilers, so I'll refrain.

Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 10:48:07 AM »

Visually and atmospherically it was amazing. The plot...mh, it was well crafted and fairly clever but didn't offer anything I hadn't seen before or anything inspiring. Also, the villain was so busy disgorging exposition that he didn't hardly had a role for himself.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Rettle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 09:20:08 AM »

Visually and atmospherically Zotrim worked amazingly well and was amazing. The plot...mh, it was well crafted and fairly clever but didn't offer anything I hadn't seen before or anything inspiring. Also, the villain was so busy disgorging exposition that he didn't hardly had a role for himself.

You're spot on, Gothars. I wish they were just a bit bolder with some of the plot choices. But the movie was a marvel of cinematography imo. Do you think there's room for another sequel in that story?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 06:22:35 AM by Rettle »