Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Customizable ship auto-configuration (Autofit)  (Read 4201 times)

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
Customizable ship auto-configuration (Autofit)
« on: October 07, 2017, 09:00:11 AM »

There is a useless option in the autofit screen:
Always add "<useless hullmod>"

I like to equip flux distributor / flux coil adjunct instead of bulkheads and blast doors.

It would be nice to be able to customize the autofit options, and allow for new ship builds:

Always add "advancedOptics" to beam-heavy ships.

Always add ITU to frigates (it is only 2 op). --> always add to destroyers, etc.

Always add Unstable Injector when ship speed is below 100/90/70/50 (customizable)

Always add missile racks and ECCM (if enough OP) to missile boats.

Avoid adding "<hullmod>"

Add converted hangar to everything and equip interceptors (+0 OP)

Ship focus (for new variant generation):
Assault, support, sniper/kite, missile boat, carrier.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:01:59 AM by gruberscomplete »
Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Customizable ship auto-configuration (Autofit)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »

There is a useless option in the autofit screen:
Always add "<useless hullmod>"

Umm, you do realize what Reinforced Bulkheads does, right? And why it's something you might want on every single ship you own?

Hint: It means you have a waaaaaay better chance to recover the ship if it's destroyed in combat. That's a pretty damn important thing to have if you ask me, and probably the single most sensible hullmod to take its place in the "Always add..." Autofit option.

If that's not important to you for whatever reasons, then uncheck it.  ??? Most of the rest of your suggestions wouldn't work because either they make too specialized a role (ie. they're not something you'd want on every ship so why the hell would anyone ever check it?) or they're not a hullmod the player has access to right from the start of a campaign game.

EDIT: On the flipside, the only two hullmods I could think of having a "Always add..." checkbox would be ITU since it's usually a must-have for cruisers and capitals (and some destroyers - although you do have to find it first) and Safety Overrides, since people do thematic playthroughs with SO on every ship.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 03:36:58 PM by AxleMC131 »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 03:34:39 PM »

Bulkheads and Blast Doors are part of autofit because those are the two hullmods that directly relate to the industry playstyle of reusing semi-disposable ships; if the ship is destroyed in battle, Bulkheads guarantees it will be recoverable again, and Blast Doors significantly reduces the crew casualties suffered. it's not meant to entirely replace the need for thinking about which hullmods to use on any given ship.

most ships have several default goal variants to choose from that make use of different hullmods though, and you can always create custom goal variants with the hullmods you want the ship type to have as well. :]

edit: i type too slow, again. <.<

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 04:22:48 PM »

I guess it must be my play-style affected by a custom settings.json:

• 100% recovery chance. If I am playing industry, I will automatically recover every ship lost in battle, so I don't care if they blow up, or the amount of crew casualties suffered.
  • If I am playing high-tech and leadership, then I won't use a ship if it has any D-mods at all, making recovery pointless. In this case, I'd prefer highest possible flux/speed/weapon performance rather than hull strength.
  • I stress the phrase "customizable," because every play-though has a different goal and faction (if playing nexerelin). One game I may want SO, and another I may want fancy flux-boosters or more specific faction loadouts.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 04:24:26 PM by gruberscomplete »
Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 07:50:11 PM »

Those two options are i think, VERY specifically designed for the industry playstyle. each mass D-modded ship will 100% want at the very least reinforced bulkheads, so you can recover it when it dies. blast doors is optional, but will reduce the amount of crew you loose if the ship has the spare OP. the large lowtech fleets will burn through crew at an alarming rate so it can be helpful.

By setting recovery chance to 100% you bypass the point of reinforced bulkheads giving you that, so it is because you changed it that you think the option is useless.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 07:55:09 PM »

I personally would like to see something where you could customize what these hull mods are. So instead of blast doors, you could have RFC or UI
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 08:06:23 PM »

Personally i'd go for an "always add safety overrides"  to have an auto-fit generate something with safety overrides.