Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Pirates should make demands more often instead of blowing me up.  (Read 1758 times)

Cromodus

• Ensign
    • View Profile

It took me a dozen attempts to get the hang of staying away from larger "neutral" fleets and readying myself against leaving a star system and even then, I still get ambushed fairly often by pirates.

Which is cool, I really like this.

The problem is, they are often much stronger than I am and are not interested in talking, simply wiping me out, forcing me to reload.

So, this isn't really fun and in the end, I don't even pay the price of being ambushed because I either reload or restart my game.

However, this one time, pirates demanded that I hand over all my illegal cargo, or else. This is good, I can live with this and learn from my mistakes. IMO this should happen more often.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
Re: Pirates should make demands more often instead of blowing me up.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 07:32:27 PM »

However, this one time, pirates demanded that I hand over all my illegal cargo, or else. This is good, I can live with this and learn from my mistakes. IMO this should happen more often.

Are you sure they were pirates? Only established factions do this. Unless you were on a trade mission with illegal goods; when you do a mission like that a pirate fleet might spawn, track you down and try and extort your goods.

Otherwise, it's a good point that has been discussed previouslly. It's doable - CABAL fleets from the Underworld mod do this. Wouldn't mind seeing this applied to pirates in some way as well.

Cromodus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »

It was indeed a trade mission, for personal firearms.

Captain Draco

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »

They generally don't speak to you when you have to low reputation with them; I prefer to make my ships into fast blockade runners when playing as merchant even when I am not smuggling; not going to share my goods to some criminal scum; this game makes you bleed credits too fast as it is now with fuel, supplies costing big dough and those damn warp storms.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 07:02:38 PM »

I've been an active user of shielded cargo holds on my ships and yet pirates can still track me down and know whatever cargo I'm supposed to haul to point B of a cargo mission hundred times better than any official patrols can ever hope to scan! :D The only way I can explain this away is that pirates must have eyes and ears on every station and planet to keep a lookout at contracts and cargo.

Once a pirate fleet spawns to make contact with mine they sure know like a lovecraftian god where the right spot is to spawn and catch me despite me soaring through space at burn 20 always and with extremely low amount of detectable sensor profile of about 50 something when gone dark. I don't use emergency burn nor sustained burn due to personalized super-ships.

So... yeah. I'm pretty sure there needs to be more detail put into pirate demandings as there's no chance in all hells of them knowing what I JUST picked up MOMENTS AGO from a battle or a debris field and with constant burn 20 speed of mine I'm ahead of every other vessel by a large margin and I can make sharp turns. Pirates are eerily psychic when it comes to tracking cargo! :D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:09:07 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.