Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Text based adventure: Space Rangers 2 anyone?  (Read 3024 times)

havocdrake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Text based adventure: Space Rangers 2 anyone?
« on: October 02, 2017, 05:01:10 AM »

Hi, I want to suggest the game to have a text game adventure like space rangers 2. Damn that game really made me suck in -- Even the "Prison" text adventure. Those days are gold.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
Re: Text based adventure: Space Rangers 2 anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »

I think some modders have shown that is possible with the system (given the rules.csv and other things...). and I'd have to admit I think some sort of Adventure system would be great! Text or even graphical would help flesh the world out and give the player something to interest them.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 08:45:50 AM »

I would love to put more of these kinds of things in - it's just that while still building out features, it's hard for these things to get priority, and if you *do* put them in, it can be a lot of work to update if something affecting them changes.

Btw, there's something in the Kumari Kandam system that I think is along these lines; is that the sort of thing you had in mind?
Spoiler
Visit the station by the gas giant.
[close]

havocdrake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 09:25:10 AM »

I read "I would love to put more of these kinds of things in", I see hope... That's really all there is to it.  ::)

-- Adventure based on the planet like lost civilization would be cool, but what comes to my mind is, to see a reusable text adventure.
-- I remember that the "Prison" text adventure game(in Space Ranger 2) never really gets old( thus replayable), because you really have stats that are changing and random events within it happening,
like you are really in an alive/working prison culture.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 09:45:32 AM »

Ahh, that sounds a good bit more involved than what I had in mind. What I'm talking about is little interactions, that may or may not have much (or any) gameplay impact, that are mostly there for flavor and immersion.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 04:25:12 PM »

That's the kind of thing I'd really like to put in the game, more than my own ships or faction. I love telling stories. Im hoping for a real easy way to add your own interactive stories :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

havocdrake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 04:36:11 PM »

If you haven't tried playing space ranger 2, try being caught having an illegal drugs or having bad relations and land on the planet. You will surely be sent to prison. so immersive.

See: "youtube.com/watch?v=8zhWrGeQRUU"
Starting: 31:39
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:40:50 PM by havocdrake »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 08:53:22 AM »

That's the kind of thing I'd really like to put in the game, more than my own ships or faction. I love telling stories. Im hoping for a real easy way to add your own interactive stories :)

Definitely thinking about how to streamline it a bit, based on the experience of putting together the campaign tutorial. It actually wasn't too bad, but if there was any significant branching, it'd be a lot more complicated. That might just be a property of "having branching in a story", though, since that gets exponential suuuper fast.

So, I guess, it depends on how you'd define "easy"? Setting up a bunch of choices, text, etc is already quite doable w/ the rules stuff; what I think that needs is a template to make it more accessible.

When things *happen* in response to those choices - that is, you get/lose credits or cargo, an officer joins or leaves, etc - then that's going to involve code, or possibly some more involved scripting in rules.csv. This is the part I'm thinking about streamlining, but still in an "involves code" way. A compact/modular way to implement mission stages and conditions for transitions between them, something like that.

In theory, one could specify these things in a data file as opposed to code... hmm. If you want it to be expressive enough, though, that data file basically becomes code in its own right.

See: "youtube.com/watch?v=8zhWrGeQRUU"
Starting: 31:39

Ah, neat! The thing that's tricky, for me, is this sort of thing can really interrupt the other gameplay - it's almost like a minigame. My personal inclination is towards keeping interactions of that nature shorter.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 08:26:56 AM »

In theory, one could specify these things in a data file as opposed to code... hmm. If you want it to be expressive enough, though, that data file basically becomes code in its own right.

Data file for the easy stuff to get you started, but an option to solve more involved ideas with code?

I fondly remember the mission editior of Operation Flashpoint (what later became ARMA), where standard things could be be solved on a drag and drop basis, but always with the option to implement your own code for conditional actions.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

montaropdf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 10:20:06 AM »

For more elaborated stuff, you could, maybe, use something like YAML.

At work my team begin to use it with ansible a tool for automation of tasks sets of remote servers.

Ansible use YAML as a kind of scripting language to know what to do on all specified servers.