Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Needs advice making a mod  (Read 1580 times)

lechibang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Needs advice making a mod
« on: September 21, 2017, 07:50:25 PM »

Since I have a lot of free time on my hand right now, I'm making my own mod called Sensei, and I would love to have some advice from the community since I'm a total newb at this.
Anyway, the first thing I want to do is to kitbash the sprite from the mod and make them into new ones.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:52:35 AM by lechibang »
Do it yourself, as people always say.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Needs coaching to making a mod
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 12:49:11 AM »

Hey there,

First things first - great to have a new modder on board. Welcome!

I would suggest to get started - kitbashing up a small frigate-sized ship, and getting that in the game for a starting point.

You'll probably want to look up one of the ship-making programmes to aid you in getting it in the game - but also check out some of the structures of other mods to get an idea of the general 'data' requirements that are needed to support the ship existing in the game (and being able to be interacted with).

Good luck and let us know any specific issues you're having, but it's good (I think) to try and figure these things out yourself as - with familiarity - you'll then be much better equipped to add the sceond / third / fourth ship plus generally develop your mod in to whatever you want it to be.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

John_A_Tallon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Needs advice making a mod
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »

Decorative turret mounts are a good thing to remember. You can put them on the base ship and they'll do nothing at all, but when you're ready for a cool variant skin to come into play you can re-designate the turrets in the skin's file. Check out how the mudskipper.ship file is set up, and how the mudskipper2.skin switches a decorative mount to a live one. You can use the same trick for system weapon mounts, so if you wanted to change where flares launched from on the ship that'd be the way to do it.