Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Skills brainstorming  (Read 10551 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Skills brainstorming
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 08:36:54 AM »

I've been taking a look at the issues; it's a little harder to resolve than I thought, because it's hard to get back to the PersonAPI and determine whether the person's the Player or somebody else, but it looks like it can be done.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2017, 06:43:31 AM »

I also like point-by-point re-spec after max level idea, that was already mentioned in thread. This keeps choices important, but allows some flexibility. Unlike current situation of having to pick only skills that are perfect for endgame, with no right to error.
That could work for personal skills, but not campaign skills.  With re-spec, I would take Surveying and Salvaging skills, drain the Sector dry, then re-spec those now useless skills away for other useful skills, probably something for combat if personal and campaign skills are still mixed together.

P.S.  Removing empty aptitude prerequisites would give max level player roughly double the points officers have, and player can go roughly equal on personal and fleetwide skills (or unbalanced distribution like all combat and no campaign stuff).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:47:52 AM by Megas »

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 07:17:22 AM »

How bout instead of putting points into aptitudes, putting a point in any skill in an aptitude increases the aptitude level?

So if you a total of 3 points into combat skills, you'd have combat 3.
If you put 5 in technology (lets say Electronic warfare 2, Optical Targeting 2 and Navigation 1), you have tech 5.

That would not only remove pointless points, but also allow finer limits - for example, you can have a certain level as requirement for a skill. So you need Combat 6 or more before you can take Missile Warfare 3

EDIT: I wrote tech 3, should have been tech 5
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:57:30 AM by TrashMan »

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 07:31:48 AM »

How bout instead of putting points into aptitudes, putting a point in any skill in an aptitude increases the aptitude level?

If you put 5 in technology (lets say Electronic warfare 2, Optical Targeting 2 and Navigation 1), you have tech 3.

That would not only remove pointless points, but also allow finer limits - for example, you can have a certain level as requirement for a skill. So you need Combat 6 or more before you can take Missile Warfare 3

That's kinda the old system
On the left half of the Bell curve

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »

If you put 5 in technology (lets say Electronic warfare 2, Optical Targeting 2 and Navigation 1), you have tech 3.
That is effectively the same as no aptitudes, if skills remain ungated as they are.

ThinMint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »

People are misunderstanding this post, look at the last line in the quote, it's not 1:1.

I actually like this, you can't just go instantly for the super duper mega ultra cool skill, you need to pick some extra skills in the aptitude first, kind of like in payday 2 where you gotta spend a certain amount of points in a tree before unlocking the next tier of skills.

Also, this model would actually benefit the player in terms of points, since in the game you need 2 points for a level 1 skill(1 ap 1 skill), then 4 points for a level 2(2 ap 2 skill) and then 6 for a level 3(3 ap 3 skill), while with this system you save the ap point from level, and while you spend the same amount of points to get a skill to level 2 or 3, those points are spent in other skills.

Honestly i really support this idea, it allows for more skills to be viable(for example just dropping in 1 point in a spec you don't really want to get just one skill(*cough* Electronic Warfare *cough*) instead of having to spend 2 character points or  simply just making it so the player has to choose more skills, so more get used.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »

My apologies, I didn't explain it well.

What I mean is that you don't have aptitude points, you just have skill points, and the total number of points spent in a tree would be the aptitude score.

So if you start the game with 3 skill points, if you put all 3 in combat, you have combat aptitude 3.
If you put 2 in tech 1 in combat, you have Tech Aptitude 2, Combat Aptitude 1.
Then you get a level and get 2 more points. In you put those point into combat skills, you will have Combat Aptitude 5

This means that aptitudes can have much higher values, are tied to skills (so no wasted points) and Aptitude value can be used as a limiter/requirement for skills. It can even use CROSS-TREE requirements

For example, a skill might require Tech Aptitude 2 and Combat Aptitude 3

ThinMint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 12:57:46 PM »

Oops, looks like i also misunderstood, lol.
Yeah it's actually an even better idea than before.

Shrugger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »

I came here to suggest point-by-point re-specs in exchange for excess XP (either always or only at max level), but apparently someone else already did it.

So consider this my approval of the idea.

Putting the mandatory skills right into the aptitudes seems like an obvious improvement, too.
Pages: 1 2 [3]