Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: FPS hiccups since new patch  (Read 1657 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
FPS hiccups since new patch
« on: September 10, 2017, 02:56:01 AM »

Sorry if there was already a thread somewhere, but I couldn't find anything similar.

Anyways whenever I start the game, the game freezes for a second when going into a new menu (especially load game) and then sometimes FPS locks itself to 30, even tho it's 80% idle. When I get into a game, the campaign map also has huge FPS drops when moving around, I mean it goes from 60 to 15 in a blink. This goes on for a minute or two then it goes away. Same thing in combat, even if I spend 10 minutes in campaign map fooling around, the first instance of combat will always have those huge drops that last for a while. It's like the game is still trying to load something, idk.

Now I haven't changed a thing about my pc, still the same toaster from before, but I could run it perfectly fine at 60 FPS even in big battles. Eventually it'd drop when having loads of fighters on screen but that's expectable.
When 0.8.1a came out, I only played a little bit to see all the new shiny stuff, and then couldn't play after since I didn't have time so maybe one of the hotfixes changed something, just a blind guess. It's not anything crazy since I can play normally but having to endure those hiccups every single time I launch the game gets annoying after a while.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: FPS hiccups since new patch
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:09:42 AM »

Hmm. Are you running with mods, by chance? If so, first thing I'd try is turning off GraphicsLib and seeing if that makes a difference. Second thing would be looking into whether you've updated the graphics drivers between where it was fine and then it wasn't.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: FPS hiccups since new patch
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 09:13:26 AM »

Nah no mods, just the vanilla game. And yes I had an driver update just after the patch got released so maybe that's the case. I remember one nvidia update made Starsector unable to even lauch so it wouldn't be anything weird. That said it seems I have an update now so I'll see if that changes anything.

EDIT: It's still pretty similar, I guess it got a bit better, it goes away quicker, but the start is still bumpy.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:27:56 AM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.