Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: .8.1 Favorite Ships  (Read 21590 times)

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: .8.1 Favorite Ships
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2017, 10:30:34 PM »

To be fair, it does stop people like me from going pure kinetics.

Pure kinetics is still really strong however with flux overloading, but it does make fighting the hegemony.... problematic on my operational time.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2017, 06:54:22 AM »

Unmodded game, pure kinetic is significantly worse than mixed arms.  AI is better with flux management - and less reliant on shields - in 0.8.x than before.  I tried pure kinetic Hammerhead against enemy Dominator, and almost lost due to CR decay and time out.  Then, I tried 50/50 Hammerhead against the same Dominator and the fight went much faster.  Armor is already a significant defense, sometimes.

Also, there is that one combat skill that halves kinetic damage on armor, effectively turning kinetics into fragmentation damage against a ship with that skill.

P.S.  Combined with AI cowardice in fleet action, it is important to hit for big lasting damage when the shields drop and you get an opening before the vulnerable ship withdraws and another fresh ship covers it and takes its place.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:59:30 AM by Megas »

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2017, 07:05:48 PM »

Yep, got some destroyers and frigates with heavy auto cannons and assault guns now, they work better then I thought they would considering the different ranges.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2017, 04:25:04 PM »

Just discovered the joy of giving the AI a Clade (P) with Shard Megacannon and tac lasers in the front, light PD in the back and medium voidspears in the old rocking chair. It's weirdly effective - the ship can stand off and put out an impressive amount of suppression damage, and if things go bad it backs out rather effectively with it's ship system.

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2017, 11:07:39 PM »

The Nevermore-0 has claimed my heart, no cruiser has any right to move that fast and I love every second of it.
I fully agree, the speed of the Nevermore with a great mobility ship system... this is definitely my permanent flagship. Not sure whether I like the 0-series more yet, though.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2017, 06:44:51 AM »

Nevermore-0 is the superior of the two Nevermores.  It has better shot range, and better mount placement for (dual) flak or other PD to compensate for narrow shields.  It can kite-and-snipe.  Normal Nevermore plays like Aurora.  Great spike damage, but bad shot range and worse mounts for PD.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2017, 01:52:57 PM »

Nevermore-0 is the superior of the two Nevermores.  It has better shot range, and better mount placement for (dual) flak or other PD to compensate for narrow shields.  It can kite-and-snipe.  Normal Nevermore plays like Aurora.  Great spike damage, but bad shot range and worse mounts for PD.
Doesn't it also get a boost in armor? I swear they last another five seconds of Harpoon Hell than their lesser brethren.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2017, 02:46:34 PM »

I do not know.  I just grab Zero for kite-and-snipe.  Don't need to worry as much about durability if the ship can avoid getting shot at in the first place, and Zero does that better than normal Nevermore.  Normal seemed built to charge in, unload relatively short-ranged AM lance or other burst damage, then run away, much like typical high-tech ship design.  That said, Zero seems to last longer even in AI hands, and the AI does not always kite perfectly.

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »

It does have a bit more armor and hull, yes. Also, after using it for a while I am inclined to agree that it's the better version of the ship.
Pages: 1 2 [3]