Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: One version to rule them all  (Read 1495 times)

lechibang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
One version to rule them all
« on: August 19, 2017, 11:30:03 AM »

So I have lurked the forum for 1 hour now, and I was wondering that if there is a way for modders (I'm not one though, but I love mods) to make their mods without having to update for every new version that comes out?
Do it yourself, as people always say.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: One version to rule them all
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »

Unfortunately, it does not work that way. Just like saves, Alex (Starsector's developer) naturally breaks mods as a side-effect of implementing new vanilla features. It's simply unavoidable.

lechibang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:54:14 PM »

It'd be cool if Alex can release a tool for modders to convert the mod to the latest version without doing too much.
Do it yourself, as people always say.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 11:33:32 PM »

That... Just doesn't work like that. To use an analogy that would make some sense: changing version is like changing the lock of a door for a completely different one, and you are asking for a tool that could make the old key still work with the new lock. Not only it's not possible, but it also defeat the purpose of a large update. If the two locks are so similar that the same key can open them both, that means the changes from the update were extremely minor.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:35:57 PM by Tartiflette »

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 09:20:36 AM »

The only way to make sure mods always work would be to package all older versions of the game with every new release and have mods run whichever version they're written for - but then you're running into a whole load of other problems.