Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Is there any way to make a one-time faction quest?  (Read 2302 times)

Kyatzli

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Is there any way to make a one-time faction quest?
« on: August 18, 2017, 02:45:35 AM »

Like the title says, is there any way to make a one-time faction quest that becomes available after one reaches a certain reputation with a faction?

Ideally there would also be a way to make the quest to be to retrieve a specific abandoned ship, and either keeping it for yourself (and angering the faction that gave you the quest) or give it to the faction.

If this is a stupid question, I apologize, as I haven't really done any modding before.

Edit: Or even a one-time exploration quest/interaction would be good.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:31:37 AM by Kyatzli »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to make a one-time faction quest?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 07:35:07 AM »

Simple answer:  yes, but you'd have to do some minor coding in the InteractionPlugin.  Essentiallly, Alex made it relatively easy to add in missions like this:  see the Tutorial missions for a guide.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Kyatzli

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 08:28:31 AM »

Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of coding at all. Is there any way to add in a ship, and have that ship be unique, so there's only one of it you can ever get?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »

You could do something similar to what I'm doing right now for a secret project (hehehe...), and create a custom "rules.csv" file. That handles interactions with NPC fleets and such, and is basically the code behind a pick-a-path series of events and decisions, but it also handles the ship selection during the creation of a new game/character.

If you had a look through the stock rules file and took some time to figure the simpler points of it out, you can create a custom rules file that allows you to pick your unique ship as a starting ship at the beginning of the game, without making it appear anywhere else in the sector.