Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FLeet command from my GURU knowledge of 1 weeks play.  (Read 5791 times)

Palladin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: FLeet command from my GURU knowledge of 1 weeks play.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 07:10:19 PM »

OK my current fleet and combat style.

Ships -  I think this fleet might can take out a capital, might try this tonight.
1 Harbinger Phase destroyer
2 Medusa Destroyer
2 Afflictor phase frig
2 Shade phase assault frig
1 Wolf(P) attack frig
2x Lasher frig (thinking to add several more as PDs)
1x Gunship(tough little SOB)
1x Shepard drone tender
1x Mule - Flag ship

For battle that do not include Capitals -  I have not fought a capital ship yet.
Squad 1                     Squad 2                 Squad 3                Squad 4                    Squad 5
Medusa - Shade          Medusa - shade      Afflictor - Lasher     Afflictor - Lasher        Mule (Flagship) - Wolf - Gunship - Shepard

Squads 1-2 are main battle units, 3-4 are battle/point deff unites, 5 is reserve with mainly  point deff. 

I will normally set 3 eliminations targets at a time. leaving squat 4 and 5 as reserves to assist where needed. This tactic has been working really well for me so far. If any one squad gets too far out of the op I can tell it to move to a marked target and draw it back into the battle area and do not have to spend CP.
Oh and I always go for the com relay to get the CP regen. I use the com relay capture as a base for all my ships to work from.

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 07:17:44 PM »

You're going to need some Carrier soon or thing get real bad when Mora or Astral showing up. Having carrier doing PD job for your fleet free your ship to kit out more firepower to kicking more arse.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 06:11:24 AM »

Carriers are just great because fighters dominate in 0.8.x, or at least are fast enough to outrun cowardly AI ships.  Definitely need Fighter Doctrine 3 to make fighters a bit more tough and liberal use of Expended Deck Crew on all proper carriers.  Seriously, Expended Deck Crew is as important to carriers as ITU is to direct combatants.  (In case of Legion and Odyssey, they need both of those hull mods since they can do both!  Legion, very effectively; Odyssey, not so much.)

Gryphon is weak.  It is a flimsy ship with destroyer stats in a cruiser chassis just for missiles.  It is too flimsy to try to brawl with torpedoes or hammers.  When I tried using AI Gryphon in a fleet, it is often the first to die; and it was eventually removed from the fleet due to dying too much.  (I suspect AI tries to use Gryphon as a conventional ship when it should pilot it like a carrier.)  If you want weapons that function as missiles, use carriers instead.  Fighters are better missiles than missiles, and the AI seems to know how to use carriers better.

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 06:24:43 AM »

Yeah Gryphon as an AI is dumb. It trying to get into PD range if you equip them one. It work for me when i play it myself. I wish we could set a minimum engagement range for each ship.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 06:32:13 PM »

I guess officers could be used to tame problem ships, but I rather use officers to make overpowered ships even more overpowered instead of turning a bad ship (or one AI does not know how to use well) into merely decent.  I also prefer to have generalist officers that can be plugged into any ship (which was why I never tried ten Timid officers in Vigilances for a Pilum spam fleet).

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 09:26:14 PM »

Assign them a rally point far behind battleline work for that. Else they just run in and die.
Pages: 1 [2]