Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best PD guns  (Read 7314 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Best PD guns
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 06:09:09 AM »

The most memorable mod PD weapon back in the day for me (when ballistics had ammo limits) was IFed's Thunderchief.  It is a medium ballistic, and it made dual flak look tame.  Extremely fast rate-of-fire, splash damage, and loud firing sound.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 09:05:11 AM »

The most memorable mod PD weapon back in the day for me (when ballistics had ammo limits) was IFed's Thunderchief.  It is a medium ballistic, and it made dual flak look tame.  Extremely fast rate-of-fire, splash damage, and loud firing sound.
Speaking of old 0.6.5 ish days, the Kadur Theocracy had their Sling ABMs. Those were quite fun. I want the mod back just for that.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Sooner535

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 10:32:46 AM »

Out of curiousity is the RR PD and PD laser actually a good choice? I've been using them as budget PD and they seem fairly competent (1 laser can take a missile or 2 out which is all I need unless it's spammed) anyone got a great one for a laser PD boat? I am thinking Urumi fan laser with the 2 extensions to range in game added too (1 range add-on lowers turret turn speed but shouldn't be that bad with the fan laser) what you guys think?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 10:55:59 AM »

Standard PD Laser and LR PD Laser?  PD Laser is okay.  Not great, and inferior to Vulcan, but if the ship cannot use ballistics, then PD Laser is useful enough.  LR PD Laser is a flux-efficient, all-purpose weapon - part PD, part long-range zapper akin to Tactical Laser.  Not great at any single role, but useful enough if you need LR PD to do more than PD, especially if you do not have IPDAI for Tactical Laser.  (IPDAI is one of those rare hullmods that require Tri-Tachyon commission or lucky station salvage.)

Ever since LR PD Laser got its flux cost lowered from 100 to 40, LR PD Laser has become a very useful filler weapon.  I often use it instead of Tactical Laser (partly because PD and LR PD are fairly common, and other lasers are rarer).

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »

Out of curiousity is the RR PD and PD laser actually a good choice? I've been using them as budget PD and they seem fairly competent (1 laser can take a missile or 2 out which is all I need unless it's spammed) anyone got a great one for a laser PD boat? I am thinking Urumi fan laser with the 2 extensions to range in game added too (1 range add-on lowers turret turn speed but shouldn't be that bad with the fan laser) what you guys think?

I found out that use both of them in mix kinda yield better result. PD Las range is so short, it couldn't catch all the missile at once if it shoot at you enmass. They also love to overkill on the same target then reassign to another one which slow them down. Having LR PD to peel off at long range first then when it come into PD Las range, it only need about one tick to finish off the missile. LR PD also very flux efficient and it is a good tool to entangle an enemy ship in case they are retreating. AI will keep their shield up to prevent damage from LR PD which stop them from getting zero flux boost, allowing your or your other ship to catch it up easier.

Marolla

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »

I like the option on Dominators/Onslaughts to use a set of 3 annihilator rocket pods as frontal PD. Very difficult for any missiles, torpedoes or fighters to survive the spam!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »

I like the option on Dominators/Onslaughts to use a set of 3 annihilator rocket pods as frontal PD. Very difficult for any missiles, torpedoes or fighters to survive the spam!

Ehh, that method is less "Point Defence" and more "Area Denial" if you ask me. Still, it does work for those sorts of ship, especially if you just want to keep an enemy at arms length rather than outright murder them.  :P
Pages: 1 [2]