Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: mod site  (Read 6529 times)

zbmott

• Ensign
    • View Profile
mod site
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:30:07 PM »

Modders:

If there were hypothetically going to be a website dedicated to collecting, organizing, presenting, and distributing mods, what sort of things would you like to see it be able to do?

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: mod site
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:22:20 PM »

Aside from the obvious (forums, etc), it would be great to have a well organized downloads database where people can upload mods and mod resources (sprites, sounds, misc graphics, weapons... you get the idea).

So, is this a hypothetically as in "hypothetically, (hint hint)," or hypothetically as in "Just a random question?" Because a standalone mod site would be pretty great to have. It might not take off like a rocket right now, but considering the game's growing modding community, it'll be great to have in the future.

zbmott

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »

So, is this a hypothetically as in "hypothetically, (hint hint)," or hypothetically as in "Just a random question?"

Hypothetically as in "hint hint".  I'm a decent web developer who'd love to contribute to this community somehow, and this seems to me to be an opportunity to step in and do what I do.  Right now I'm concerned with scoping out interest and gathering as much information as possible to plan with before I start writing code.  It would also be good to know who (if anyone) would be willing to be part of a "focus group" that I could look to for specific answers to specific questions I have as this project gets underway.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:23:28 AM by zbmott »

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 11:34:32 AM »

Well, pretty much the same things other mod sites do would be handy. A place to upload mods, with a way to sort them by version and type. A way to search through them based on the version it was designed for and keywords. An area to put in a description of the mod with links to the forum thread or a mod website along with the file, maybe with a little comment area at the bottom. A review system wouldn't hurt, where people could rate the mods - possibly combined with the comment area, so they can say something along with their rating. Tracking the number of downloads would be nice too - a referral link to an off site download that tracks the click throughs or just on-site file hosting with a download counter.

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:41:09 AM »

Totally agreed with Paul. Maybe something along these lines?
http://www.mbrepository.com/

That's the mod site for the Mount & Blade games, which have what is probably amongst the most vibrant game modding scenes out there. The site touches on all of Paul's points, and it just works well, even with the sheer amount of mods on there. Starfarer might just follow suit... It wouldn't surprise me!

(I hope this isn't considered advertising... :P)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:42:54 AM by SUXpanD »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:18:21 PM »

I remember there was a site especially for mod and indie games called moddb.com, but it was for most mods for games, although it could be called such a site, right?

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »

Moddb is pretty good too, I'd think making a mod site that is like sourceforge would be awesome. I'm building my mod with another persons help, so it would be great if it tracked revisions and all that jazz. Being able to set the downloads as public or private would be good too, then you could keep incremental updates hidden from anyone except your dev group.

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 12:54:34 PM »

A vast array of adult themed mods, anime mods, and gore addons.  Like Nexus.

Also pls get moderators that will viciously defend the artistic merit of these mods.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 01:33:46 PM »

I remember a layout of a now defunct Starcraft modding website that worked well. It looked like this:

A backup of the site exists somewhere, I'll look around for it.

(Edit: Found it: http://maplantis.mikelat.com/index.php?pg=mods )

Also, I think that that downloads database system is built into the free forum software called "Latova." You might want to do a search for it, as it might make your life a lot easier on the coding end.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:19:07 PM by Psiyon »

Hrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 11:31:11 PM »

I think anything along the lines of http://www.twcenter.net/forums/ would be spectacular :P