Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Combat Arena  (Read 1927 times)

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
Combat Arena
« on: August 05, 2017, 05:50:34 AM »

This suggestion is basically for a free-for-all arena style minigame as an addition to the campaign, sorta like MW4: Mercs' Solaris - a way to integrate more arcadey and varied battle scenarios into the main game without compromising the nature of the campaign. In other words, you go with your fleet to a particular planet or station that hosts these fights, and get to compete in different leagues - usually based on ship class/size. Typically you'd field one ship per event, but others may allow you to field a small fleet. There could be all sorts of modes like CTF, point control, racing, straight up free-for-all and team-deathmatches with varying fleet sizes per participant, etc.
Any ships of yours that are destroyed would be recoverable along with all their weapons/LPCs and officers, but may still incur D-mods.
Prizes could come in the form of cash, ships, rare weapons, officers, all sorts.
You could "sponsor" a faction, in other words represent them in this arena - losing alignment if you don't perform well and vice-versa.

Only question is if battles are able to support more than 2 sides.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 05:53:36 AM by Morbo513 »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Arena
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 06:34:12 AM »

I would LOVE to see this and have actually though of making a mod at one point
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »

Dude, that's a sick idea.  ;D

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 04:54:15 PM »

a betting arena/tournament in which the player, and the AI teams, each have the same budget to purchase and design a small cheap fleet & purchase back-up weapons to fill their holds with & select captains from a jockey pool before being pitted against eachother one after another after another, with no opportunity to take the ships to the shop between fights. The tournament is fought within, or with access to at least, a dockyard and any ships lost by a team are salvaged, re-armed if they have the weapons to spare to replace any guns that were lost, and then stuck back into the fleet & sent back out to fight again until your fleet is wiped or you are the last one yet. There's a buy-in to join that includes the cost of the fleet and a portion of the jackpot, of which anybody who survives the first half of the tournament gets a portion of (with the winner getting the biggest cut and a re-fund on their fleet buy-in, and gets to keep the fleet, their guns, their pick at salvaging as much as they can of the defeated fleets before the tournie dockyard strip-mines the wreckage field for parts and gets to keep the officers they crewed the derby fleet with, who've at this point no doubt gained a butt-load of xp)
would be a good way to build-in a late-game high-challenge way for players to get to play with cheap, low-quality ships while fighting dangerous, high-level enemies piloting cheap, low-quality ships
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 08:33:43 PM »

Only question is if battles are able to support more than 2 sides.

Nope.