Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Game crashes early or freezes lategame  (Read 7042 times)

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Game crashes early or freezes lategame
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »

[Having Problems]
The mods that I've always had in common with your lineup are: Dynasector, BRDY, Interstellar Imperium, LazyLib, Nexerelin, Shadowyards, Version Checker, and GraphicsLib.

I've been having the same issue as you concerning the late game. At a campaign's start I can go multiple hours without a freeze. Later on, I can barely manage 30 mins. From my testing the cause has been campaign-map related, and that it tends to occur at certain intervals rather than just randomly at any time (for example, one save I had a 75% chance of crashing in the next minute... but after that, absolutely no crashes for the next 10-20 minutes past that one minute).

The starsector log always ended with around 50 "updating bounty probability" events after the game froze, which has led me to conclude it's too many bounties probabilities being processed at once. (I don't know if other events are calculations occur at the same time as these bounty update events, so I can't say if it's the bounty probabilities themselves or another type of event that gets calculated at the same time).

I suspect -- and this is purely speculation -- if you could figure out a way to greatly reduce the number of "updating bounty probability" events in the universe at once, it may solve the problem. Unfortunately, the DynaSector only has an option for reducing the number of active bounties (default: 6), and not the maximum number of bounty probability calculations.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:21:15 PM by Regularity »

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 06:18:15 PM »

I think I may have figured out the problem. Possibly. At least, I haven't suffered a freeze in several hours, where before I could barely manage 30 mins. So it could just be a lucky streak... but I think it actually did help.

In Starsector/mods/DynaSector/data/campaign/events.json, there are two sections. One concerning "faction hostility" and one concerning "bounties". I just deleted the one about bounties.

Try it out and let me know if it works for you.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 09:37:06 PM »

I really doubt that it's related to the person bounties in DS.  Can you give me a save for which the problem is known to occur, so I can debug it?

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 11:54:21 PM »

Well, I can't speak for him, but after two days of testing... editing out that aforementioned section of the code has not only appeared to eliminate ALL freezes my game was experiencing, but also drastically reduced memory/non-heap footprint increases over time (e.g., memory leaks). Since many players have used DynaSector, it should be a more widespread issue if it was DynaSector alone. I think instead it may be player settings, hardware, or an unexpected interaction with other mods that may be causing DynaSector's bounty system to suck up memory like a hoover.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep my saves since I didn't see a point in keeping broken ones around at the time.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 12:29:00 AM »

In the future if you have issues with *whatever*.

Please always keep the saves, they can be invaluable to both us modders and Alex.
Pages: 1 [2]